Back To Surgeon for chest pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartman77

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi All.....I am 7 weeks post op and am having a lot of sternum pain. I have a lot of summer allergies and even just sniffling causes what i think is more pain than i would think would be expected this long after surgery. I cant pick up more than a laptop without feeling a good degree of sternum pain. And as far as sneezing or coughing.....one of those is brutal and leaves residual pain that lasts the rest of the day....I do hear some clicking and cracking sounds in my chest, especially when i try to adjust my pillow or move around a little in bed. I called the surgeon today and mentioned this to the nurse and she said that we should be in the safe side and have me come in Friday.......and i just sneezed.....wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........how was most of your pain level at 7 weeks? Am i pushing things a little or thinking i should be healing faster? I do have to say that I also have Myasthenia Gravis, which affects the muscles, and i don't know how that may affect my healing. I can say that most of the sternum pain is at the bottom of the sternum where my scar ends....I appreciate any input.....thanks all...lots of heartfelt hugs.....Michael

Last edited:
As minimally invasive as my surgery was, it was about 7 weeks that I started to get seriously wicked chest pains. I guess it's hard to tell if the pain is internal or the bone itself. In my case it wasn't bone but the pain was horrible. At first, it felt like reflux/asthma. But one day the pain got so bad that I checked into the ER. It was some kind of plueral effusion. The pain could get bad enough that I couldn't walk at times. Unfortunately, all they can give is steroids, or suck out the fluid. In my case, after steroid treatment of about 3-4 days, there was an insignificant amount of fluid to suck out. Less than 200cc. The pain lasted on and off for about a month then one day went away just like the surgeon said. I hope the best for you.

At 7 weeks I was still having mild pain nothing what you are experiencing. "hear some clicking and cracking sounds in my chest" Glad you have an appointment with your surgeron this Friday. Better to be safe than sorry. keep us updated.

Hi Michael - I can't give you any help since I am still in waiting mode. I do hope that your surgeon will have some answers for you Friday. Sorry you are having some bumps in the road. I hope you will be going full speed ahead soon. Good Luck. Pat

I didn't have anything like that sort of pain from either of my surgeries at seven weeks out.
I'm sorry you are experiencing that and think it good you will see your surgeon. Sounds like a visit is called for.
Best Wishes.

Mike.

I'm sorry your having pains :( . I had some discomfort but not pains . We all heal at different rates and it takes a while to heal. Glad your going to the Doctor best to find out whats going on. Do you take anything for your allergies? Maybe call your Cardio maybe he can get you something for the allergies, might dry you out a little but better then the coughing and sneezing Let us know how it goes.
Feel better

Hi Micheal,

I can only tell you my experience. I had a mini sternotomy, which is supposed to cut down on the pain and recouperation time. It did not accomplish either for me. I did have some complications which contributed greatly to the discomfort. As far as snezzing goes, it was maybe three months before I felt better? As far as sternum pain, I had problems for several months. Maybe I'm just more sensitve than your average person though. As a matter of fact I still experience the ocasional ache or pain. I did have a couple of xrays, just to make sure everything was as it should be. I never did hear any clicking noises around the sternum area though. It might be prudent to have it checked out Michael.

Michael it is my belief that part of your problem may be changes in the air pressure .....I know Buffalo is affected by a lot of the same weather fronts as we are and as of the past three or four weeks we have had so many High/Low fronts circling in the area I have had a great deal of pain where my sternum used to be but it is my understanding from another board that those that had sternotomies are under similar influences as those of us that have no sternums

Last edited:
Sorry about the pain Michael. At 7 weeks, I'm pretty sure my pain was all but gone, except for some minor discomfort here and there. So I agree, it's good to go get it checked out. Best of luck and keep us posted.

at 7 weeks i was finally on my own again and lifting my kids without pain or discomfort. i will tell you though to this day if there is pain, it is at the bottom of my sternum area. that must be the last to heal...but i have never had any of those clicks or any noise coming from there or felt like something was wrong. i am glad you are going to get it checked out.

at 6 weeks i got this reallllllllllly nasty cold and flu and was coughing and sneezing non stop for a week and a half. it was terrible. i was so scared it would cause the sternum to not heal correctly. so make sure you still use your pillow to do those things!! i hope they just tell you to sit put for awhile and that you won't need a surgery again :(

at 7 weeks i was finally on my own again and lifting my kids without pain or discomfort. i will tell you though to this day if there is pain, it is at the bottom of my sternum area. that must be the last to heal...but i have never had any of those clicks or any noise coming from there or felt like something was wrong. i am glad you are going to get it checked out.

at 6 weeks i got this reallllllllllly nasty cold and flu and was coughing and sneezing non stop for a week and a half. it was terrible. i was so scared it would cause the sternum to not heal correctly. so make sure you still use your pillow to do those things!! i hope they just tell you to sit put for awhile and that you won't need a surgery again :(

Michael, how is it feeling today?
Yeah what she said
angel.gif

Hi guys....I am laying low taking it easy.....Im still moving very gingerly as i am not sure if the pain is a sign of anything negative in regards to my sternum. As i said, i am not sure if my Myasthenia Gravis is playing a role in my slow healing....I will be sure to ask the surgeon that on Friday tho. .......Thank you all so much for your concern...You are the BEST!!!!

Latest posts

Back