Athlete with Multiple Heart Surgeries at your disposal...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiMbTwIsTeR

Hello all. I wanted to introduce myself as a resource for anyone who had questions involving OHS or valve replacements. I'm 33 now, but I've had three heart surgeries (two open heart/three total valves replaced) from ages 14-31. I'm not the most responsible individual when it comes to taking care of my body, but I have tested the limitations of my new and used parts for some time. I never feel "fragile" and quality of life is my driving factor for the decisions I've made.
Current set up:
Pulmonary is a donor running strong for about 20 years
Aortic is biological valve...my second
I also have a full prosthetic aortic root, new in 2010.
Meds are simple blood pressure pills I take daily (see profile)

I carried out a 9 year amateur MMA, kickboxing, and Submission wrestling career on two replacement valves. Not recommending this, but like I said, It was important to me. I also downhill ski, kayak, and brew and drink copious amounts of spectacular beer.
I personally think mechanical valves are a poor choice for MANY (not all) people who get them. (when it is a choice)
Educate yourselves. You have to live with your decision after surgery. I takes a bit of effort to swap 'em out :)
Anyway...you can ask me anything and I'll give you my OPINION. I'm a bit forward with pressing my body, so keep that in mind, but for those of you who really want to know how far someone has "pressed it" after multiple surgeries, I'm your guy.

Cheers!

Hey. another person with the medical education as the key person. You are wonderful. Knowledge is the key and never be afraid to ask questions. That is why this forum is here for. And we love to have more people with the working knowledge to help with the newbies. I have in this game since birth, repair at age eight, replacement of aortic valve with a St. Jude's at age 38 and still here. This place was a life saver when I came in and still is for many others who come. We welcome you with open arms and want you to stay. Share what you have in knowledge and give pratical advice when needed. Again, welcome and hugs for today.

Hi and welcome!

I hope you'll also post in Active Lifestyles and Cardiac Rehab forum so members will be able to find you when they have questions that need answering.
Threads in Heart Talk move equickly down the timeline and sometimes it's hard to retrieve them.
Thanks in advance for offering your experience to fellow members.

Let me officially welcome another upstater! As stated, you will find lots of weekend warrior atheltes over at the Active Lifestyles threads.....

Welcome, mate! Glad to have ya here. It would be great to have another athletic resource on here and someone that is not afraid to push their body to the limit.

WELCOME welcome WELCOME to our OHS family, you will provide another great resource and be an assurance and inspiration for many to come ......as Mary/ Duffy suggested you may want to pop into the Active Lifestyles forum

Limbtwister,
Can you make a comparison with your total root replacement surgery and your first valve replacement?
Was the surgery harder to recover from? Was recovery time longer?

I go in on May 7th for a total root replacement and valve to take care of a 4.9 cm aneurysm after 7 years with my mechanical aortic valve. I am switching over to a bio valve and root to get away from coumadin as with my kidney transplant that has been a real headache.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Hi Limbtwister - what's your experience with lifting weights. My cardiologist says not to lift too much weight, which is fine, but I'm curious as to what your weightlifting regimen is.

I had a BAV replacement with 31mm St Jude in January 2011 and aortic root replacement at the same time.

Sorry not Limbtwister but I can give you both an answer since I had valve replacement in 2004 (ross procedure) and valve, root, ascending aorta replacement in 2011. I found that the recovery was easier the 2nd time from a mental and emotional perspective. The actual physical recovery/time was about the same. I can't help you with weightlifting so hopefully Limbtwister will help you with that. I do know with my root/aorta being replaced I do have lifting restrictions. I think my surgeon said 1/3 to 1/2 my body weight, so somewhere around 50-80 pounds. I would ask your cardiologist or surgeon what exactly is "not too much weight" as that is kind of vague.

Latest posts

Back