At Home and recovering

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwkentner

Well everyone I have reached the otherside of the Mountain also. I am currently back home resting since Sunday june 13, had surgery tuesday June 8 at the Cleveland Clinic. My surgery seem to go well from what they tell me. had a bioprosthehetic carpentier- edwards #25 Aortic HV and then also had Mitral valve prosthetic ring #38 installed. They also tighten up the mitral cords that had been damaged. only complications where the fact that chest tubes had to remain in place until Satuday because I had continued to leak. This being due to the fact that i have had previuos AVR and scar tissue does take more time to recover. quite honestly i think it may be still leaking a bit but They've cleared me for home recovery. Dr Joseph Sabik and his surgurical team i believe have done a remarkable job and whould recommend them to anyone.
I whould like to thank everyone on this forum for their help and input in those tense months leading up to my surgery date. I tell you, i believe that time is actually worse than the surgey itself, even knowing the surgery is tough and the first few days you think to yourself what the He** have I done. All is well now and recovery has begun. i have a few obsticals to clear yet but im looking ahead positively,
I'll post again soon, this was just a update.
M kentner

Thanks for the update! Sounds like overall things are going great! Yet another voice saying the time leading up to the surgery was worse than the surgery itself. Hear that all you peeps in the waiting room? We can't ALL be wrong! MW, don't forget to do your breathing and give us another update when you feel up to it. Welcome to this side (for the second time for you)!

Mwkentner.....HI!!!.....Im so glad you have joined this side of the surgery......I hope your pain is minimal and that you progress at whatever pace your body is comfortable with. I'd personally love to hear your thoughts and feelings as we are so close together time wise in recovery. Rest well and feel better my friend...........Michael

Heh MK,

welcome back and happy to hear that all went reasonably well, good on you...2nd OHS for you, so tough for drainage tubes and you must have been quite relieved when finally removed.

so welcome back again to the other side and wishing you a speedy recovery, keep us posted when not resting, hope your voice has not gone up with the tightening of Mitral cords (smile)

So good to hear from you and know you are safely home and on the road to recovery.
Eat, sleep, breathe, walk and repeat and repeat.......

you know the drill. :)

Recent setback but recovering

Recent setback but recovering

Well everyone felt I should report my recent set back. I returned home on Sunday by monday evening was having a strange feeling in my chest, but was up and doing things, visiting ect. By tuesday afternoon my wife said my color looked gray and I still didn't feel a strong heart beat. We went to the local firehouse had a EKG ran, well as they expected I was in artial fib, maybe for a day or so, so off to the local Hosp with recent my papers under my arm. They comfirmed my Atrial Flutter. I required a TEE and also was also given an electrical shock to refire the electrical activity. After a day and a half of additional observation was releases to come home. Of course now I will require the use of coumadin for a short time just in case I slip back into Afib. As of today I feel astrong beat so I believe I am on the mend. I still find myself with some lightheadness when up and walking around, so do need to be careful. But after all we have been through, I am feeling very blessed. best of luck to everyone, and will post again.

Mw, I had the same setback, so don't be worried. I went into a-fib about 2 1/2 wks after my surgery. After hearing from many medical professionals while back in the hospital that 2nd time, this is a pretty common side effect from the surgery, and is usually temporary. I was told somewhere between 10% and 50% of those that have this surgery have some a-fib type things happen while recovering. Mine's under control, at least for now (possibly due to the Amiodarone they put me on). I'm a little scared what's gonna happen when I go off that drug in a few weeks, but it's been weened back so much now and I'm still doing ok, that I feel a little better about it. Oh, and I still wonder if it was at least partially due to being up doing things, visiting with others, etc. In other words, I wonder if I was so cocky after the first two weeks, I started over-doing it a little (and not getting enough sleep). Well, anyway good luck, get right back up on that recovery bike and keep on trucking! And keep the updates coming!

MK,

Thanks for the update, kind of noticed you had gone silent for a few days.
Believe that this was 2nd OHS for you?
am hoping the setback was temporary and that you line up for speedy recovery in next few weeks,,all the best..Gil

Hi MK

Really glad to hear you are home and doing well. I am waiting for my AVR at Cleveland Clinic on Aug 9 - so it is really good to hear about the people going before me. I hope your recovery continues to go well for you. I look forward to reading about your recovery. Good Luck.

Pat

Latest posts

Back