All set for surgery tomorrow!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTZdad

Getting ready for bed now..long day of testing in the books today. I'm in the "B" group of surgeries tomorrow. I report at 10 am and should get in there at 11, assuming everything goes well in the first group. Dr. Sabik says there is a chance for repair (got my blessing if possible), if not, we're going mechanical baby. I am ready for my procedure (aortic valve and ascending aorta repair) and can't wait to get on the other side. Time for sleep now..my wife will post when I'm in recovery. Good night!

Tom

Good luck Tom. I will be thinking about you all day. Talk to you via your wife tomorrow or day after. Remember to breath with your mouth and lungs when you first awake.

Tom,
Good to speak with you the other day. Best wishes for a bump-free recovery. We will all be rooting for you and waiting to hear from your wife.
John

Im on the other side! Surgery was a success. No repair unfortunately, but the new valve is ticking away! Feeling pretty good. I have my own private room. Soooo tired though, didnt sleep much yesterday. Thank you all for your support. Glad that its over with, and i feel much better than i thought that i would. Details to follow after i rest.

Tom

Tom!!!!!! This is great news. Hospitals are rotten when it comes to sleep or any rest for that matter. Now, that you are on the other side, lets get some walking and moving around and kick that nasty anesthesia out. Let's get your body back!

Thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts. I seem to be bouncing back really well. I took a long walk after dinner and only stopped short of doing a few laps because my wife thought I was trying to do too much. Catheter comes out tomorrow, chest tubes, etc were removed this morning. I'll get the oxygen off tomorrow and will be moving on to receiving pain pills instead of the heavy stuff. The Cleveland Clinic is phenomenal! I would highly recommend it to anyone who might consider going there for treatment. Dr. Sabik is great, he has a very calming presence and his bedside manner before and after the surgery was really good. It turns out that my bicuspid valve was almost singular. It was barely tow leaflets and therefore repair was impossible. I got a St. Jude valve (I believe but forgot to ask post-op). Took my first round of Coumadin this evening. I have my own private room here and it has a type of fold-out bench that my support troops can use over night. I got to see my son this afternoon for the first time after I got into my room. Wow. It's amazing how good that first hug and kiss felt from him. I'll keep updating my progress as it comes. What a great day!

Tom

Latest posts

Back