Activities in Hospital after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

terryguys

New to the forum so Hi. I have an AVR scheduled for July 22. I'm 55 and had heart surgery at age 9 in 1962 to enlarge my valve and always knew there would come a time for another surgery and it is suddenly here. That repair lasted over 45 years so I'm sure happy with that!!!

I remember back then in 1962 how hard is was on even a 9 year old during the 2 week stay in the hospital but was wondering just how much times have changed. I was unable to do just about anything except laying there.

What, if any, small activities were you all able to do during your stay in the hospital after the surgery and how many days after the surgery were you able to do it? I'm just referring to small things like emailing friends and family, talking on the phone, reading a book, etc. Or were you so far out of it that you just felt like laying there, sleeping or watching tv?

I was debating whether to take my laptop and a few books or just leave them home.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts on the hospital stay!!!

Terry

Hello and welcome.
I'm not tough at all....16 days in hospital....and all I could do was short phone calls, have a nap, easy card games, have a nap, flip through mags, watch a bit of TV, have a nap. :)

I'm 2 weeks post op, 44 years old, & just had my 2nd OHS for valve repair. Things have advanced in the last 45 years, lol. I was walking the halls the first day out of ICU, reading, watching TV, talking, texting, etc. Some take their laptop, or rather have a family member bring it. I'm personally glad I didn't bring it, as it was already challenging to find a position that I could get comfortable in, that minimized the pain.

I found that it is easiest to text, as holding the phone up to my ear quickly became bothersome, if you have a headset, you will be fine. I had company, and was able to hold a conversation. You wont be out of if, but you will be in pain. They like for you to get up and about when you are able. I found I felt better when I forced myself beyond the pain and walked the halls a few times a day, otherwise, I got stiff in my back, and other spots. I went in on a Mon and was released that Fri. So, 4 days.

Good luck to you, and I'm sure you'll be on here in no time telling us about what happened.

I would definitely make sure to take my laptop with me. You may not be able to get on it for a few days but when you do, you'll be glad you took it with you. You may want to take your music listening devices too & a good book just in case you're up to it.

Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery.

Take care!:)

I had my second OHS in four years about 14 months ago. I ate a half a sandwich less than 15 hours post op, walked the hall with four drainage tube containers resting on the seat of a wheelchair. I was permitted to use my cell phone as soon as I left CICU (which was about 15 hours post op) and I used my phone from Day one in step down unit. I could not concentrate on books though I brought one with me. I leafed through some magazines but mostly used my energy for necessary walks in hallway, shower, trips to the 'potty', and visits with my DH etc

Great changes have come about since your last surgery and you may be among those of us who were released from the hospital 5 days post op or even sooner.

Welcome to VR.com. Happy you found us. Stick around and hopefully we can help with your questions.

Welcome aboard, Terry, and good luck.

YES things changed a lot! Nurses will help you sit in a chair the next day and you will be walking the hallways. I personally was very alert but not enough to read. I listened to music, walked a bit, then sat in a chair, then ate a bite or two and rested. After a few days I was able to use my laptop but for a few minutes at a time. I could not read...had no patience to concentrate...watched TV without sound, but enjoyed my family around me and answering a few phone calls each day. I personally stayed ten days due to stubborn INR level!

If you take a laptop, (and I'd suggest letting a family member take it at nights ect if possible) You should find out from the hospital what kind of computer stuff (I know pretty technical word there) they have available in the rooms, so you have the right wires. a couple years ago Justin had to plug his laptop in the phone jack (we have cable at home so signed up for one of those free trial dial up sites) but his last surgery they had the regular computer things you plug in. We usually take both kinds of wires to be safe. Justin was a teen his last couple surgeries, but he was using his laptop and game system in CICU (he had a private room) we also took DVDs to watch, there was a game system and DVD player in his room (childrens hospital) last time, but before that we watched movies on his laptop. He also used his Ipod alot.
Both Justin and my Mom when she had heart surgery couldn't concentrate right to read books, but did some word or saduko type books when they weren't walking the halls or sleeping.

I could not wake up from the drugs..... pain meds and anesthesia.....slept from a Tuesday PM surgery until Friday AM.
After that up in a chair, walking the halls, eating and discharged on Sunday.

Everybody keeps you busy at the hospital. I did'nt have time to be on the computer. Nurse visits, dr visit, family, other techs, food, meds, etc.... the list can go on walking, blood draws, there are so many things that go on you just try to get rest in between. Good luck and welcome to the vr forum.

It certainly wasn't laying about in bed. Four years ago for me and after a few days I was walking up and down the corridor, then soon having to tackle stairs at least four times each day. I used to take myself off to the hospital gardens and smell the flowers. I also liked to sit in the lobby watching the world go by or visit the hospital shop. After the first few days I was wearing my own day clothes too - but this was the UK, I am not sure whether you do that sort of thing where you are. I certainly did some reading between all the exercise.

Take anything you think you MAY want to use with you.
Each person is different in their recovery and what they feel up to.
I was 17 days in hospital. I took magazines galore with me but it was about 10 days before I could pick up the energy to read anything. (the first thing was a get well card), It was over a wek before I could go for a walk any further than the loo. The only thing I could do between sleeping was watch some telly.
If you have it with you then at least it's all ready when you are.
All the best with the surgery and may it go smoothly and quickly.

Lotti

I was about 10 days in the hospital, but you will be doing all kinds of things. I remember going stir crazy after a while. Bring your laptop, as most hospitals have WiFi, bring some books, whatever. I was quite tired most of the time, but it was fun diverting my attention to something else when I could.

Take care my friend. You will be fine!

Hi- I, too, couldn't really concentrate enough to read the books I had brought, but was glad my husband brought the laptop in each day. There was wi-fi on the ward and, at first, he read get-well wishes to me (and kept himself busy). Eventually, I was sitting up in the chair and able to enjoy having it available. I'm not a tv person, so I can't comment on that. Cell phone was nice to have since we were far from home and long distance on it was free.:D Staff will keep you busy walking the halls if you want to get to leave!

I had a book with me but couldn't really get my mind into it. Watched a lot of television - Maury Povich, "You are the Father" LOL and Ellen. Didn't take my laptop, wished I had thought of it though - perfect thing for a very short attention span!

Hello terryguys and welcome. You have found the right place to ask questions. My own experience, on my 2nd OHS was, the same day of surgery, 7 hrs postop, they had me walking in the CICU, I took 52 steps! Then one more day in CICU and they put me in Cardiac stepdown unit...another day later and I was walking the halls with IV pole. I was glad to have my cell phone, the tv, couldnt concentrate on reading too much, and yes, I had my husband leave the laptop in the trunk, then I knew when I wanted it he could just go out to the car...and I did want it. My last full day in the hospital I used it. I also got a shower before going home.

Three days in ICU, then out to regular ward - walked around the halls and up and down stairs, watched TV (and got sick of it), read a little bit, talked to visitors etc.
By Day 8 I was begging the doctor to let me go home, so he did.
Hospital is a very boring place!

I highly recommend taking a laptop with you! When you're tired of surfing, you can use it to play music. I had a bunch of relaxation stuff I downloaded from iTunes. I couldn't concentrate on books but went through a lot of magazines, kinda lite stuff that didn't require too much brain power!

Terry, welcome to our village and best of luck with your surgery. You'll be getting lots of positive power from all of us here.

I had my aortic valve replaced in February, 2009, and I, too, did not wake up from the time they took me into surgery at 7 AM Friday until early afternoon on Monday. I have no memory of the CICU or being moved to step down ICU floor. At the same time that was not so bad because I don't have memories of the wires and tubes either. I was in the hospital for 10 days and spent alot of that time just resting when I wasn't walking.

I like to travel light so didn't take much with me as you can always have someone bring things to you as you feel more like doing things. Personally, I would not have wanted a laptop or anything that took much effort to do. Magazines are great because the articles are short....a book was a waste because I would have to read the same pages over and over 'cause I would fall asleep.

I was extremely lucky because coughing or sneezing didn't make my sternum hurt so the last actual pain meds I took were before I left the hospital for a 2 hr drive home. At home I used Tylenol every now and then but not much.

Midge

Walk...walk...walk........and don`t be shy to walk in the rooms and talk....it`s what I did. Alot of lonely people during my stay...i would walk from one end to the other and chat with fellow inmates.............sadly....a lot of lonely people on those wards...

Latest posts

Back