A great find!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcc617

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey all. I'm taking the bull by the horns and trying to make this valve replacement truly on my terms. (or doing the best I can)

I found a book called 'The Patients Guide to Heart Valve Surgery' by Adam Pick. I find it to be a great resource that highlights everything from diagnosis to pre-op, post-op and rehab. He highlights his experience and peppers the whole thing with interviews from other people. I was particularly happy to see that my surgeon (who I'm meeting with on 12/13) recommends the book - Dr Vincent Gaudini. It's an easy read and I actually read most of it in an afternoon.

While I realize everyone's experience is different, the stories have provided some level of comfort to my stress.

Adam seems to be a great guy and runs a great website. I remember seeing his book on my surgeons office table pre op, by this time I knew all about this book and made a comment about it to my surgeon, he smirked at me. For me OHS has been the best thing and worst thing to ever happen to me. Not too many people can say this.

us oldies know Adam well. He was a member before/while writing the book and members of VR are in the book. The book seems to have enjoyed popularity since it was published. there are some old posts by him and about him if you search his name (above); if they are still in here.

Please take a look at the following book which I think would be far more useful. There are some reviews on Amazon as well as quite inexpensive used copies.

The Open Heart Companion - Maggie Lichtenberg (Preparation and Guidance for Open-Heart Surgery Recovery)

Yes, as others have posted, many of us are acquainted with Adam. He posted on the forum quite extensively before writing his book and asked for people's experiences to include in it.
It's good to hear that you've found it useful in your quest to wrestle the VR bull into submission.:wink2:

So far, I have found 'Coping with Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression' by Carol Cohan the most useful and informative of the books I've read. Although is aimed at all heart surgery patients and their families, and not just valve replacement patients, it covers all the issues I have concerns about. I know I'll be taking it with me when I'm referred to the surgeon.

I bought Maggie Lichenteberg's book at the same time - I liked it but not sure it is realistic - I mean has anyone really been able to take their favourite music into the operating room ? I read Maggie's book before Carol Cohan's and was practically compiling a list of music I wanted that would take care of several hours before I realised there'd sure to be a problem with disinfecting the iPod or whatever I'd need - and how about the headphones ? Surely they'd drop out as they yanked me this way and that ! Lovely idea though. Perhaps I can dictate my musical tastes on the surgical team ? I once had knee surgery with epidural and was conscious throughout the op and didn't like the surgeon's taste in music at all :eek2:

I mean has anyone really been able to take their favourite music into the operating room ? I read Maggie's book before Carol Cohan's and was practically compiling a list of music I wanted that would take care of several hours before I realised there'd sure to be a problem with disinfecting the iPod or whatever I'd need - and how about the headphones ? Surely they'd drop out as they yanked me this way and that ! Lovely idea though. Perhaps I can dictate my musical tastes on the surgical team ? I once had knee surgery with epidural and was conscious throughout the op and didn't like the surgeon's taste in music at all :eek2:

LMAO! I got wheeled into the OR and right before me and the anesthesiologist were talking about sports and who might buy the Dodgers. Once I got into the OR I heard Elton John Playing in the background. I made a comment about it. I personally don't care for his music. Good thing I had a song playing over and over again in my mind.

LMAO! I got wheeled into the OR and right before me and the anesthesiologist were talking about sports and who might buy the Dodgers. Once I got into the OR I heard Elton John Playing in the background. I made a comment about it. I personally don't care for his music. Good thing I had a song playing over and over again in my mind.
Here's an interesting video interview of surgeons talking about what music they like to play during operations: 'Songs for surgery - how music is chosen for operations' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11632114

They don't refer to how it affects the unconscious patients though. They've found that playing certain types of music actually influences the outcome of operations - influences the unconscious patient ! Elton John would be one of my worst nightmares :eek2: Just J S Bach for me - bliss :)

I'm very glad some people were helped by Adam's book. I persoally would NEVER reccomend anyone spend any money on his book, since I also remeber reading sections of it that had things totally incorrect and not being very gracious when I let him know so he could correct it and other things that left a bad taste in some members including mine mouth. , BUT even more I believe, well know, you can find MUCH of the info in his book and site not only here but other reliable places on the web...often word for word

I'm very glad some people were helped by Adam's book. I persoally would NEVER reccomend anyone spend any money on his book, since I also remeber reading sections of it that had things totally incorrect and not being very gracious when I let him know so he could correct it and other things that left a bad taste in some members including mine mouth. , BUT even more I believe, well know, you can find MUCH of the info in his book and site not only here but other reliable places on the web...often word for word

Lynlw - thanks for the head's up. Obviously everyone has a different idea on things based on their own experience. Since you've been a member for a number of years, your take will be different from mine having just recently joined.

I'm doing a ton of research in preparation for my procedure and thought the book contained many fine stories. For those of us that are scared to death, information of any kind is welcome. If you have any references that you found helpful, I would be interested in hearing those as well.

Here's an interesting video interview of surgeons talking about what music they like to play during operations: 'Songs for surgery - how music is chosen for operations' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11632114

They don't refer to how it affects the unconscious patients though. They've found that playing certain types of music actually influences the outcome of operations - influences the unconscious patient ! Elton John would be one of my worst nightmares :eek2: Just J S Bach for me - bliss :)

Bach would of been nice, I think the music choice in my situation was more for the OR staff and not the surgeon they told me the surgeon really doesn't have a taste in music.

My first surgery was just before Christmas and they had Christmas Carols playing when they wheeled me into OR. One of the nurses asked if I minded. Of course, I didn't.

I read Adam's book. It's a good place to start and get some quick familiarity with one person's well-expressed perspective. I agree it provides a good measure comforting reassurance, which I needed just as much as most people. I got the notion of the value of cardiac rehab from his book, although for a different reason than he found it valuable. In terms of specifics about how to prepare for and recover from the operation, it's not very detailed. That you will learn here. I don't recall any coverage of the variety of approaches to valve replacement (Adam got a Ross procedure, which is not often the best approach) and some of the important questions. Again, this place is good for that. Still, Adam's book was a helpful start for me.

Regarding music in the OR, some gentle stringed Bach would inspire more confidence in me than imagining a surgeon tapping his feet and dancing around to something like ELO while he stitches that tiny little valve in... :eek2:

Oh, and Dave, Adam was a member here briefly and I think that many of us didn't mind and were even glad to have him here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back