9 Months

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
Hi, everyone, on Tuesday it will be exactly 9 months from the date of my AVR. It has been some time since I posted an update so it seemed like a good time to do it now. I've been back at work since last November and for some time have done whatever I feel like doing. In case anyone is wondering, here is the a photo composite of my scars as they have changed:

View attachment 8573

In the last six weeks I've actually encountered my first "bumps" since surgery. The cartilage connecting my ribs to the sternum became inflamed and has been aching if I forget to use an analgesic. My GP checked to make sure there was no infection and the diagnosis was costochondritis which should disappear in a few more weeks. As well, a few months ago, I developed a Klebsiella infection for which I had to take antibiotic for a month since it could cause endocarditis and damage my tissue valve. For those of you now anticipating the future with an artificial heart valve, I would suggest you exploit your relationship with your family doctor. I have had all of the records from my Surgeon and Cardiologist sent to her. The result is she has reviewed them and been a wonderful source of information. As well, it has been a lot better having one person managing medication instead of three. I have now stopped using the additional medications I was given after surgery and am back to a much shorter list. Like most with a tissue valve, I take an aspirin every day but that is no big deal since I had been taking one of those for several years already.

There really isn't too much more to say. I work, I ride my bike, I feed my animals and care for the yard. I play with the kids, the dogs and the cats and share a beer or a glass of wine with friends every week. I walk up hills without any shortness of breath and I can bend over without getting dizzy. All in all this experience has been pretty routine. When I recall the anxiety I felt before surgery, I cannot help but wonder that recovery has been so uneventful. So for those of you waiting, please, consider the likelihood that you, too, will find your own experience much less exciting and much much less traumatic than you can imagine it to be today.

What I cannot imagine is how I would have done this without the support of all of you here. Yes, I know that many other people have said the same thing, but I have to say it again. Thank you all.

Larry

What a great update, glad things, beside the costochondritis, are going so well and Life IS good. I'm glad they were able to catch your infection when they did and your family doctor is so good.

Larry,

Thank you for the update on your progress since surgery. In many ways, it feels like 'yesterday' that you were posting in the pre-op forum. Sorry to hear that you ended up with some bumps this far along, but am also glad that it is getting sorted out.
It certainly doesn't sound like it has affected your day to day living. Wishing you all the very best for a continued smooth recovery.

P.S. Your scar looks great!!

Wow Larry, your scar is almost invisible! Very cool! Gives us newbies hope! And thanks for the update - - also gives us hope. I especially like the part about walking up hills w/o shortness of breath. Do you remember at about what point you noticed improvement vs. how you were before surgery?

And re: that costochondritis - what causes that? And are there things you can do to prevent it, or does it just happen sometimes? Oh, and what is an analgesic? Sorry for all the questions - just trying to learn from the masters!

Andy, I felt weak but great at the same time the morning after I was out of the ICU. I didn't notice any shortness of breath when I started walking but I must admit that I was a little careful with myself. As you have said, too, each week I noticed clear improvement as I regained strength and stamina after surgery; I never experienced any of the presurgery symptoms. As for what causes the costochondritis, there is a lot of debate but in adults it is most often associated with getting thumped hard in the chest or some substitute for thumping such as the business with moving the ribs out of the way. Neither my family Doctor or my Cardio payed much attention to it and told me to take a basic analgesic such as aspirin or tylenol which they prefer over the NSAIDs such as ibuprofen which contains sodium that can cause problems with fluid balance.

I forgot to mention in the original post that I had a new echo-cardiogram a couple weeks ago. The valve is firmly seated with no leaks and no regurgitation. EF is 70% (60% before AVR), mean pressure gradient is 18 mmhg (67 mmhg before AVR) and valve area is over 3 cm2 (.66 cm2 before AVR); all good numbers.

Larry

Last edited:
Damn, I'm jealous of your numbers!!! I'm at 31 mmhg after (85 before) and 1.3 cm2 after (.67 before). But I'm sure it's because you got a bigger valve than me - some guys get all the breaks, lol.

really good to hear from you. I, too, have been off a lot these last 6 months. what a nice surprise to drop in here and find you. you sound great. blessins.........

Hi Larry,

Thank you for posting your 9 month update, scar fading really well and we are twins with our 4 drain holes, but your's is much more faded, am envious.

So a couple of recent bumps and it sounds like you are regaining control, good on you.

Please send a couple of bees up north for a short while, Ok? My tomato plants need cross insemination and no bees up here in the last few weeks.:(

Thanks and keep well

Gil

Latest posts

Back