9 days Post Op: Is this ALL normal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deek

I'm 9 days post-op mitral valve repair w/ band and am STILL extremely limited as to what I can do. For the most part, my surgery was normal, despite surgeon being shocked by the size of my valve and the repair being more complex than anticipated. I was in the OR for 5-6 hours, wasn't weened off the ventilator for 3-4 hours after surgery, had pulmonary edema (still do) and getting me up and walking was a real challange because of the drastic change in blood pressure. I've had uncontrolable blood pressure for two years, bp averaging between 165/100 to 220/120. The morning of my surgery it was 199/119 and since surgery it's been between 80/50 to 110/80. THIS change made me extremely light headed and SOB. Some doctors say this is amazing (the change in BP from surgery but my surgeon says this is actually quite normal and that it will more than likely go up in the weeks to follow.) Anyway, I was in ICU for 5 nights (fluid on lungs and no beds in step down unit) and spent 2 days in step down...total of 7 days. Again, I'm extremely limited in what I can do...extremely short of breath, tired, pounding heart/skipped heart beats, extreme chills/sweats continuously throught the day and night (have to change 3x's per day) and I've noticed some ozzing from the incision site. I'm not running a temp. Is this all normal? Seems like I'm having a slow go of it. Thanks to anyone who can help ease some of these concerns. Dee

At 9 days you sound pretty normal. I had a MV repair and I felt "extremely limited" for a year post-op. In my third week post-op (2nd after discharge) I was readmitted to hospital for a week due to post-op complications. Recovery takes time so be patient. You've just been through an extremely invasive surgery, with significant trauma to your body. Recovery will take months, not days. Best wishes and good luck.

You need to give yourself time. Nine days post op is extremely early days to expect anything other than what you are experiencing. Your body has been through a tremendous assult. It took at least two months, probably more like three, for me to feel like I was coming out of the drug fog.

Keep walking a little more each day and do your deep breathing. It will get better, it just is going to take some time.

Kim

The morning of my surgery it was 199/119 and since surgery it's been between 80/50 to 110/80. THIS change made me extremely light headed and SOB........
Again, I'm extremely limited in what I can do...extremely short of breath, tired, pounding heart/skipped heart beats, extreme chills/sweats continuously throught the day and night (have to change 3x's per day) and I've noticed some ozzing from the incision site. I'm not running a temp. Is this all normal? ...... Dee

Dee,

Being limited is very normal after 9 days of surgery and so is fatigue and heart pounding.

as for dizziness, what kind of medications are you on?! When I was on a beta blocker I used to get light headed and dizzy until it was stopped.
I felt chilly and sweaty after 9 days up to a month but did not need to change clothes three times a day.

Keep watching your temperature and tell your doctor about the oozing incision.

Keep us posted.

Dee, you have been through a HUGE surgery.
The pounding, skipping, tiredness, sweats, icky incision, etc. all are things that many of us have.
It is still important to be checked out.....but you are not alone with these road bumps.
Rest often, move around when you can, and eat well.
Best wishes.

I came home 6 days post op after a pretty routine AVR. By my 3rd day at home I wasn't much past getting the recliner chair leg to go down unassisted. I didn't have lots of sweats but I did have pericardial effusion about a week after I was home and then Pleural Effusion about 3 weeks both requring lovely trips to the ER. I did have a few hot/cold episodes, but nothing too bad.

Sounds like you had some issues prior to surgery that you were dealing with surrounding your BP, given that you just had your heart cut on Im sure some of what your describing is just your heart getting used to the changes.

Also, my incision oozed too, just do your best to keep it clean.

Hang in there, better days are coming...

The first 2 Weeks are TOUGH for just about everybody with the possible exception of Young Athletic Types who are highly conditioned.

Weeks 3 through 6 'should have' more good days than 'not so good' days, expecially when viewed on a weekly basis. On the good days you will notice that you can do just a little more than you did the day before (until you overdo it and set yourself back a day or two).

'AL Capshaw'

Dee, I checked some meds mentioned in your profile and recognized two kinds of BP medication. Are you taking all those listed?! BP medication make you dizzy, in addition to lasix if you do not stay hydrated! When your BP drops you shall get sweaty!

Also, I checked Spirolactone and wonder how important to continue taking it now through your recovery, as its side effects are:
Quote: This medication can raise your body's potassium levels. This is more likely to occur in people with kidney problems, diabetes, in elderly patients, or if the patient is severely ill. Potassium levels must be closely monitored in people with any of these problems or illnesses. If not treated, very high potassium levels can be fatal. If you develop any of the following symptoms, notify your doctor immediately: muscle weakness, irregular or slow heartbeat Unquote. It also causes dizziness and dehydration, which are the side effects of Lasiz and BP meds. As if you are doubling your meds dosage (to me)! Does your doctor know you are taking all these?!

You can read the rest of article:
http://www.med icinenet.com/spironolactone-oral/article.htm

Good luck:)

Dee, I'm only a few days after you in surgery and you sure sound normal. Keep in mind, "normal" includes a huge range of conditions because every person is different in their recovery. My BP was all over the place -- going up/down 10-20 pts each hour they measured it, but usually 125/80 - 160/100, and the nurses never seemed concerned. I don't think they expect you to be too healthy right after major surgery -- your heart needs time to heal. They were more concerned with how my stats was trending -- along as I seemed to get a little better each day, then the world is perfect.

I have some oozing -- I was told that's to be expected -- and rapid heart beats. Is your HR at rest staying below 110bpm? They told me that my 90-110bpm range I'm in is fine, although compared to the 50-60bpm I was in pre-surgery, I feel sometimes like my heart is about to explode. Part of it too is the swelling in my chest and neck when seem to cause the beats to reverberate -- like the effect you get when you hold your hand to the side of your neck and can feel the heartbeat throughout the body. Night sweats are very normal. It may be due in part to your medicine. What type of pain reliever do you use?

I have been lucky (and young at 37) and felt pretty good at 9 days post-op. But it sounds like what you are going through is very normal. I have had a big swing in blood pressure as well, though not as great as yours. Mine is very low, but same as you, they tell me mine will eventually go up and sort itself out. I am on a beta blocker that they have been testing out different doses. I am now taking a half a pill (25 mg) twice a day. It has given me the best results so far. BP is still low but pulse is as well. Mine was over 100 resting before this. When I left the hospital they had me on no beta blockers to bring BP up. Try to keep your head up! Things will get better!

Thank you everyone for helping to ease some concerns. They almost make OHS seem like it's no big deal now days and it's easy to think it too. Everyone at the hospital seemed to expect MORE out of me because I am 35...didn't know if what I'm feeling is normal or not? Thank you for sharing your experiences...they help make "first-timers" , like myself, feel a little more comfort and as you all know, a little is A LOT right now!!

Eva, because of my radical change in blood pressure, I've been taken off almost ALL of those. I'm currently taking: Lasix, Coumadin, Toprol, Asprin, Pottasium, C and a stool softener.

Thank you everyone for helping to ease some concerns. They almost make OHS seem like it's no big deal now days and it's easy to think it too. Everyone at the hospital seemed to expect MORE out of me because I am 35...didn't know if what I'm feeling is normal or not? Thank you for sharing your experiences...they help make "first-timers" , like myself, feel a little more comfort and as you all know, a little is A LOT right now!!

Eva, because of my radical change in blood pressure, I've been taken off almost ALL of those. I'm currently taking: Lasix, Coumadin, Toprol, Asprin, Pottasium, C and a stool softener.

I can tell you when my BP was low and pulse high, they took me off of the Lasix and Pottasium. I don't know if it helped or not but wanted to share

Deek, I just want to remind you that when you have questions at this point in your recovery you are more than entitled to place a call to one of your docs. That is all part of this heart surgery scene.

Sometimes the heavy sweats are from the body ridding itself from all the medications and anesthesia that were used before, during, and after surgery. The chills are something that happen too but sometimes it means something more is going on. Watch you temperature, follow your post-op instructions, and keep an eye on that "oozing". If things get worse then do make that call.

Your blood pressure could be down from blood loss. I know mine was for a while. Your body has been through a lot and it will need time to recuperate. You may only be in your thirties but you've had to go through things most people your age don't. Take care of yourself and be patient. Recovery is hard work but as your heart gets stronger you probably will too.

I don't know if my surgeon was extra cautious or what but on the 5th day when I thought I was going home my incision started leaking a little and he told me until it was dry for 24 hours I wasn't going anyplace.It was an extra five days in the hospital.The way he explained it to me is if it became infected it could cause serious complications.

What does your oozing look like? THAT could be an issue, IF you think anything is wrong or have questions, I would call your doc.

They almost make OHS seem like it's no big deal now days and it's easy to think it too. Everyone at the hospital seemed to expect MORE out of me because I am 35....

Yeah, it's easy to say it's "no big deal" when you're not the one going through it! And sure, it may be an "every day" procedure for the surgeons and hospital staff, but it sure ain't for us!!

I found the first 2 weeks at home the hardest in terms of being extremely limited and tired. By 3 weeks I was really noticing some improvements and week 6 was when I felt that I had turned the corner and was beginning to feel good. It's funny, day-to-day I didn't really feel that different, but week-to-week the improvements were quite noticable. I'm sure you'll find the same is true given a little more time (and time is what it takes).

A : )

Yeah, it's easy to say it's "no big deal" when you're not the one going through it! And sure, it may be an "every day" procedure for the surgeons and hospital staff, but it sure ain't for us!!

I found the first 2 weeks at home the hardest in terms of being extremely limited and tired. By 3 weeks I was really noticing some improvements and week 6 was when I felt that I had turned the corner and was beginning to feel good. It's funny, day-to-day I didn't really feel that different, but week-to-week the improvements were quite noticable. I'm sure you'll find the same is true given a little more time (and time is what it takes).

A : )
Thanks A! I couldn't have said it better. Agree 100%!

abba very very true, i found week to week i noticed a big difference,month to month even bigger lol,deek as most have said your body has been through a big trauma,take it easy and things will get better,keep us informed how you doin ok,...........neil

Latest posts

Back