4-Week Post-Op Update - Andy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Will try to keep this one shorter (see my 3-week update for more details if interested).

Last part of scab/glue came off last night. Pic below shows progress at one, three and four week marks (this morning). I don't expect any more significant changes to the look of the scar now for quite a while, so will stop subjecting you all to the pics (after this one below). Maybe at the 6 month mark or something, if it's getting even less noticable by then. Still hoping that chest tube hole will close up more soon. I think I might see a little progress since last week... Oh, and I think the bottom of the incision might be getting a tad infected or at least irritated (you can kinda see where it's red, and swollen). Looks worse in pic than it really is (maybe because I've been rubbing it and making it red). Going in tomorrow to get that checked.

I've noticed the last couple days the ticking might be getting a little quieter, at least in certain positions. Maybe the tissue around my heart is healing up and keeping the sound inside more (they said that should happen). Although, I was driving last night for the first time and seriously thought I'd left my blinker on, till I figured out it was my clicking valve, lol. Might need a new forum for that.

Sternum feels strong, although it has since the beginning. Some of those nagging muscle pains are pretty much gone now (had sore neck and upper chest muscle / shoulder soreness for a while). Getting used to being on Coumadin. Shaving with a razor.

I'm cautiously optimistic the afib/flutter I've been having last couple wks is getting a little better last couple days. The jury is still out - but it's not bothering me as much - so either getting used to it, or it's lessening. Perhaps the potassium supplements are helping? Or maybe things are just heaing up.

Other than that, doing good overall. Sleeping a little better now (still not back to normal though) and the walks are feeling great. I made a mental note day before yesterday as I was on a 35 min. walk around the neighborhood that there is NOW WAY I would have been able to do that w/o getting short of breath before the surgery, so I think I'm already better than before surgery - very cool! Tata for now! Sorry - got kinda long again...

Attachments

• Scar - 1 3 and 4 w&#.jpg
    Scar - 1 3 and 4 w&#.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 94
Wonderful! Isn't it great to see progress. You could be the poster boy for open heart surgery scars. It's amazing how well it is healing...I am jealous :). I hope the afib/flutter settles down even more.
Keep up the good work.

You should have asked the surgeon to install Certainteed R30 insulation before sewing you up.

Andy, I don't think you need to worry about writing more than some people do. Judging by the numbers of people who have looked at your posts, I think a lot of visitors find your experience very interesting. Your experience is rather like my own. At the end of the third week, my clear tape came off in the shower and for the first time my scar was exposed as a dark pink line. Of my four drain/wire holes, three of them were closed at the end of four weeks but that pesky last one held out for six weeks. It was a bother since I needed to keep a pad over it.

What you just said about walking I experienced again a couple days ago. Half way up a steep hill, I caught myself anticipating being short of breath and immediately realizing that it wasn't happening. By the time I got to the top of the hill, my pulse rate was up a little but nothing else. A year ago I would have had to stop two or three times to catch my breath and my pulse would have been pounding in my throat before I got to the top. Some people still discount the possibility that they can of feel better right after surgery. It never hurts to remind them that valve replacement can be a door to a much better life and for most of us there is no long wait before we experience the benefits.

Keep writing, Andy.

Larry

Thanks Larry. You just inspired me for another little story ;)

I just walked up the very hill tonight that caused me to go in for my annual echo back in March. Well, more accurately, the annual echo I'd put off for 2 yrs (skipped my one in '09 'cause I was too 'busy').

I'd been having issues for a couple years, but was trying to ignore them, or more accurately, hoping beyond hope I could hold off on the surgery for a couple more years... I'd taken my son shopping in Stillwater, MN (which is as hilly as San Fran) back in March for some chef pants. He was about to start his new job supervising the cold side of the Suites kitchen at Target Field (the MN Twins new stadium - which is phenominal by the way - and he loves his job - finally!). There's a steep hill we had to park on and walk back up after leaving the store. That hill kicked my butt (pretty severe shortness of breath, back pain - it was usually more in my back than my chest and light-headed). I decided shortly after, for my kids' sake (Matt's 23, Megan's 20), I just couldn't put this off anymore. Glad I went in - it was time (valve was severely calcified).

Tonight he and I went back to that same store (he needed a knife protector for his new $200 chef knife he'd just bought - with his own money I might add, lol). I made sure we parked in the exact same spot (wanted to get right back up on that horse)... After we were done shopping, we started back up that hill... I still got a little out of breath, but nowhere near like before. My HR was up a little (maybe 120), but I'm only 4 wks post-op right now, so think both of those are to be expected at this point. But overall, I already felt better tonight going up that hill than I did before surgery (a lot better). And I am positive when we do that again in another month or two, even the slight shortness of breath will be gone. It was such a liberating feeling!!! Regardless of what kind of valve you get, whether you're on Coumadin or not, what your INR range is, etc, etc., THIS is why we all do this surgery - to get our life back!!! I feel like I'm well on the way to getting mine back! And I no longer worry about keeling over some day from neglecting my known problem, leaving my kids dad-less! For anyone stalling or wondering whether you're stalling - go get checked !!! Well worth it, and even if it is time for the surgery, it's nowhere near as bad as feared!

Andy,
This is great to hear. And you are so right; the reason we do it is to get our life back.
Oh, and since I just glanced at the time and if you are in Minnesocold, that means it's almost midnight. Why are you up so late? You need your rest! Go to bed!

Yes ma'am .... Taking my Valium right now ;) I'm finding if I just go ahead and take those "sleeping" meds they give me (which I've always tried to avoid), it gets me over the insomnia I've had since surgery. Nighty nite!

Andy:

I won't be posting any pics, but the bottom half of my incision is like yours. The top half is almost an invisible line, but the lower portion swells, gets red and itches during the daytime. This part appears to be below the sternum and is subject to more stress from abdominal contents (maybe losing a bit more weight would help me). I do not remember this being an issue at all until i was about a month out, then I noticed some irritation and felt it. It is completely healed, not infected, but I think it will continue to change over time. It has settled down in the last month and does not swell or itch as much (I'm currently 6 months out). I had a scar on my hip from a bike accident when I was a teenager that itched and was ugly for about 5-10 years but then faded, and that area now looks normal.

Andy,

Looks like my drain tubes are finally closing up almost 3 weeks post operation.

I have a lot of swelling at the top of the incision and I believe you mentioned also having a lot of swelling up there.

There is No swelling aparent in the pictures, is it going down now?

Gil

sounds like you are doing awesome! i keep wondering how much exercise i am supposed to be doing daily. i guess i mean walking. did your doctor tell you any specific schedule to follow? also i'm confused about the comments people have made though about the chest tube incision still not being closed. when they took the chest tube out at the hospital they put a gauze pad with tape over it. then the day after i got home, the home nurse took it off and i have had nothing on it ever since. it's like a gross scab that i want to pick, but it's not an open wound. are you guys still having drainage? or do you mean the scab is not healing yet. because it seems like this scab will take forever to turn into skin! just curious. maybe i will copy you and make a 2 week post op post that has nothing to do with my post op issues or complaints! today is two weeks and its amazing how fast it has gone.

Dear Andy:

I've been following your posts since my AVR on May 7th. I decided tonight to finally join so I could ask others questions. Congratulations on your recovery so far!

Did you every have a sharp pain under your right rib when you yawn or take a deep breath? I'm still getting those. I asked about it after the surgery, they said it was from the chest tube being in there. However, still after four weeks? It's especially painful in the morning when I wake up. I too have been having sore muscles, mostly from sleeping on my back. The other question I have is when I bend over to pick something up, I can't breathe. It's like my lungs are cut off. Before my surgery I was very active. I could run up to eight miles no problem. I also biked the STP last year with my bad valve. The problem breathing when I bend over, even slightly,worries me a little. Is it because I'm only four weeks out???? I'm still out of breath walking up hills too. Is this normal at this point of recovery? Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight.

Gil, the swelling I was initially talking about was just above the top of my incision. It was like a big, boney lump. And yea, it's almost totally gone now. This new swelling I'm having now is at the bottom of my incision - and is the scar-tissue itself. And like someone else said, it's likely from being overweight - that's right where I bend when I sit and it probably puts extra pressure there. It's getting a little irritated, red, tender, but they say not to worry about it unless it gets worse. I told 'em about it cause I wanted to stay ahead of any infections. They don't think it's that - they think it's a stitch underneath causing some irritation, and they think it'll go away...

Malibu - I did get a walking schedule from Cardio Rehab. I'll find it later and post it, but basically it was like 10 min. per day the first few days, building up to about 1/2 hr per day or so. My cardio rehab folks are telling me to walk about a half hr at a stiff pace (maybe 2.5-3 mph) during my off-days (when not in rehab). Which I've been doing, and it feels great! My chest tube incision isn't oozing or anything - it just looks like an extra belly button (see my pics)... I didn't have any stitches in mine (maybe others do?). Hoping it closes up, and think it is slowly closing from inside out... They say it will eventually close, although they say it may always have a dent... Nice..... Wish they would've just put a couple stitches in the damn thing now. Oh, and that icky scab will come off soon - the last piece of mine just came off the other day. It came off in pieces - one piece one day, another piece a few days later, and the last piece just a few days ago.

Shawn, I don't remember a sharp pain when breathing deep. Mine was more a dull/semi-sharp ache or pain like a sore muscle. And it was pretty much always there, not just when I'd breath deep. Althought I think it would get worse if I'd straighten my body up - like it would stretch it. Also haven't noticed any breathing issues when bending over... But the out of breath thing walking up hills I think is still normal for a while yet (from my understanding). Sorry, I gotta run - if you have more questions or I didn't answer thorough enough, ask again!

Congratulations on your progress. I am now almost 6 weeks post-op, it's interesting to see comparisons/contrasts. I did great coming out of the surgery and for the first two weeks. I then had an episode of Pericardial Effusion and had to go back into the hospital for two days while they drained it. When I came back home, I felt like it had set me back a week or two. In the past two weeks, however, I've noticed a step change in how I feel - much more mobility in terms of the sternum and upper body, no problems sleeping, no more pain meds. I'm walking about 3 miles a day. One thing I notice, however, is that during or at the end of some walks, I feel a little more winded than normal. Unlike you, I was asymptomatic prior to my surgery, I felt great up until the very end. As good as I feel, I'm looking forward to the time when I feel as good or better than I did before I had the surgery.

As Ross tried to warn a few of us that were about the 2 wk mark and getting cocky - there can be setbacks. Glad you made it through yours, and I think I'm about through mine too and back on the road to recovery. Now I think I've got a stitch or two at the bottom of my incision that's about to poke thru the skin - getting pretty red and irritated. But I'm going in on Monday and they said it should be fine till then. Hope it's not the wiring coming undone or something... But they think it's just the internal stitches.

As Ross tried to warn a few of us that were about the 2 wk mark and getting cocky - there can be setbacks. Glad you made it through yours, and I think I'm about through mine too and back on the road to recovery. Now I think I've got a stitch or two at the bottom of my incision that's about to poke thru the skin - getting pretty red and irritated. But I'm going in on Monday and they said it should be fine till then. Hope it's not the wiring coming undone or something... But they think it's just the internal stitches.

Justin usually has problems with dissolving sutures not disolving and work their way up to the surface. Usually they just pull them out no problem. But keep an eye on it and if you have any fevers before your appt or if it starts to drain, atall I would call the doctor to get it checked.

Andy,

My swelling is uniquely at top of incision, wife says it is going down, but it is raised about 3/4 of an inch and covers about the 2 upper inches of incision.

Malibu Re my 4 drain holes,one was oozing slightly till a few days ago (16 days) and required gauze has now has scabbed, like the others

Am capable of walking good distances, funny that I do get calf muscle aches now, which i never had before operation, but I assume it is because of the lower activity of 1st 10 days or rehab.

All in all doing well, but am concerned to be reading of infections and complications, many weeks post op for some....further confirmation that OHS and the meds are serious business

Different hospitals, different procedures, different surgeons, guess every patient has questionable differences in how the procedure is done and as each surgery and conditions are likely quite unique, but i do find the comparisons and observations interesting and unfortunate for those that do encounter complications, some serious and of various sorts

Gil

Thanks Lyn, I bet that's what's going on with me (disolvable stitches not disolving). That's consistent with what the doc told me the other day when she looked at it. She said just to watch it for a few more days. Hope it doesn't hurt too much if they have to pull them out - think there's 2 or 3 of them doing this at the very bottom of my incision! But I think one of them is almost poking through the skin now anyway, so maybe it'll just go ahead and poke it's head out and be easy to pull out.

Gil, yours might be different than mine? Mine was just above the incision. But then again, if I remember right, your incision goes up a little higher - so maybe it is the same lump I had. It was pretty noticeable, would even cast a shadow there for a while lol. But it's pretty much gone away now (if mine was raised 1/2 inch, it's now about 1/8 inch).

Latest posts

Back