18 years and still fighting :D

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah_Louise

Hi eveyone,
‎18 years ago today I was in theatre having my very first open heart surgery, my 'truncus repair', at the time I was 13 weeks old, my mam and dad were told my heart was no bigger than a walnut and the op was very complicated and high risk.
Truncus arterisosis means when i was born rather than having a pulmonary artery and a aorta, i had a thick hollow tube, meaning i didn't have a pulmonary valve and my aortic valve wasnt fully formed, i also had a large hole called a VSD between both my ventricles, and rather than having the hollow tube coming out of the left pumping ventricle mine came out of my right ventricle, during this op, they constructed the hollow tube to make my aorta, and repaired my aortic valve, they then fitted a conduit/homograft that came from a 13 lb baby (thats all i know) to make my pulomnary vessle and fitted a pulmonary valve, they closed the VSD, and moved the aorta to the left ventricle rather than my right, and construced the pulmonary vessles into the right ventricle, My consultant told my parents, there was only a few patients who had undergone the truncus repair, and the oldest person in the world with truncus was only 10 at the time, but Mr Hamilton and Dr Wren and the theatre team got me through that op, I can't thank them and the whole team at freeman enough, as without them and there skill i wouldn't be here today! Also thank you to my family especially mam and dad for everything but especially having the courage to give me over to the team to do the op,
I'm still here and still fighting and i have all the confindence in the team at the Freeman to get me through my next op in the next few months,
Love Sarah xxx

Sarah,
As I have said before, you are a special woman. Your strength and courage gives us all inspiration to face whatever heart issues come our way. You are a blessing to us and this entire world. :)

You go girl! You are an inspiration...:). Keep up the good fight and positive attitude!:)

Thankss for sharing, it has been such an honor getting to know what a wonderful young lady you are. Your parents and doctors must be so proud.
i was just thinking in a few days (the 22nd) I could post it has been 24 years since Justin's 1st heart surgery when he was 10 days old and 5 pounds. He didnt have his conduit surgery until he was 18 month old.
It always amazes me, when I think of how wonderful CHD surgeons are that they can competely rebuild and reroute thesee special heart that are the size of a walnut and veins smaller than the lead of a pencil. Both our families are so Blessed.

Sarah me Marra, Happy Birthday girl!!:cool2::cool:It's the likes of you that keeps us all going!! Proud to call ye Marra:thumbup::thumbup::cool2::cool:
Looking forward to many more birthdays with ye Lass!!:thumbup::cool2::cool::thumbup:

I'm still here and still fighting and i have all the confindence in the team at the Freeman to get me through my next op in the next few months,
Love Sarah xxx

Sarah, you are an example of a really positive young woman whose surgical history puts the rest of us to shame. Hopefully, your next surgery will be the last one for a long, long time.

Sarah, this is one very inspirational story. You are awesome and bring comfort and calmness to many people that are about to go surgeries. Thanks for sharing this and all your other posts.

Vadim

Dear SL,

"You are indeed a walking miracle."

And we are so fortunate to have you on this forum to give hope and positiveness to those entering this scary but lifesaving journey!

God bless you and stay well!

Latest posts

Back