10 Years Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Exactly 10 years ago i was prepping for valve replacement. I thought I'd share with you a thank you letter that I wrote to my surgeon, Dr. Mack of Medical City Dallas.................

I’m writing to thank you and share my joy after 10 years with my St. Jude mechanical heart valve that you and your staff implanted November 27, 2000. It has been a tremendous success, has added years to my life, and life to my years.

I’ve celebrated raising two wonderful sons, seen them graduate from college and marry two darling women. Finally, we have daughters! I’ve seen my wife flourish with nursing work, and volunteering with numerous agencies focused on health education, wellness, and aging.

I rediscovered the active life, although in much different ways than playing baseball in my youth.
Several mountain hikes including:
Chasm Lake at the base of Long’s Peak, 2,260’ elevation gain to 11,760’ elev.
Twin Sisters Peaks summit, 2.428’ elevation gain to 11,428’ elev.
Pikes Peak summit (ascent only), 7,400’ elevation gain to 14,115’ elev.​
2 marathon runs 26.2, best time 4:40
2 half marathon runs, best time 2:02
3 10k runs, best time 50:51
16 5k runs, best time 24:50
11 sprint triathlons, best finish 1st place in 55-59 age group in the pouring rain.
Total over 10,000 miles - run, bike swim, walk.
Lately, I’ve been playing recreation softball on a team that my son assembled – priceless.​
It’s been a great run, and I’m not done yet.

Feel free to share this letter with your patients if it will help them work through their jitters of surgery and life after surgery. By the way, I am not the only one. www.cardiacatheletes.org is a website of athletes with various heart histories that are pioneering and pushing the envelope with athletics. www.valvereplacement.org is dedicated to supporting heart valve patients. These sites have been a great source of support and encouragement for me and others. Feel free to drop in and/or suggest that your patients take a look.

Heart valve surgeries have come a long way since the first Starr-Edwards valve was implanted 50 years ago. My history is but a small piece of that, but a piece for which I’m truly grateful. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart!

Congratulations Tom! I think this will help alot of newbies to see life gets better after valve surgery.We have 2 things in common ohs and dr. mack.

So nice of you to write a letter to your Doctor! We share the same heart anniversary but you are six years ahead of me! It is such a joy to look back and see how we have been here to share our life with our children and others!!! Congrads!!! keep on living!!!! ")

Happy 10th Tommy! What a nice, positive and thoughtful letter for your doctor. I am sure it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the uplifting thoughts!
Wishing you many, many years of great health.

Helio Tommy-----I had my surgery one week ago today and your letter brought tears to a 60 year old mans eyes.Of course they were tears of joy .Your letter has helped one person already.Thank you.

Congratulations Tommy!!! Thank you for sharing that beautiful, and inspiring letter.

Take care

bigsidster said:
I had my surgery one week ago today and your letter brought tears to a 60 year old mans eyes.Of course they were tears of joy .Your letter has helped one person already.Thank you.
I was tearing up while I wrote the letter and posted it. Here I go again.

I'm humbled to be helpful to others in here. I'm glad I can give back now and then. After having a recent dibilitating experience with c.diff, I'm reminded of how powerful and necessary it is to have hope. Pass it on. Blessings to all!

Latest posts

Back