1 week post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean Counter

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello everyone-

One week ago at this time I was at the hospital sitting in pre-surgery. One week later all is well.

The procedure was to have my aorta reinforced w/ dacron strip and have my aortic valve replaced with a tissue valve. I do not even remember being put under and it seemed like as soon as I was carted into the operating room they were waking me up around 5:00. To my surprise, they fitted me with a horse valve. The surgeon felt this was the best fit for my active lifestyle. It resembles the human valve the closest, and does not require a metal ring to be sewn in. When this needs to be replaced, there is a good chance it could be less-envasive. The lack of metal ring also makes it more flexible with the heart instead of being restricted by the ring.

I did not run into any complications at the hospital and went home a day early. I did run 2 slight fevers, but one was due to lack of food. Shortly after I drank some ensure, it went away. The other one only lasted about 30 min and was fixed with some tylenol.

I thought everyone at the hospital was great. The dislikes I had were all the tape all over the body (I still have residue over my body), and the fact that they kept waking me up all night to do different tests. Seriously, they have to do a chest x-ray at 3:00 AM? I did feel better each day and I never felt that bad any single day. On a pain scale, I was probably a 6 on Monday (from what I even remember that day), and was down to a 2 by the time I left. That 2 is associated with general soreness around my chest. The worst part for me was the removal of the catheter and that was not even that bad.

I have developed a routine at home and have been sleeping a solid 8 hrs each night; which I have not done in a long time. I also take 2 naps during the day (1 to 2 hrs). As far as exercise, they gave me directions of "as tolerated". I think I may have been slightly overdoing it, so we are going to cut it back this week. Friday and Saturday, I did 3x30 min walks using my current resting HR + 30 beats as a general ceiling for intensity.

This week will be the same as I continue to get caught up on movies/ tv shows that I dvr'd the past few weeks. Hope to start on season 4 of "24" later this week, and then eventually focus my attention on reading.

Hi Bean Counter - Thanks for the update and story. I find it very interesting since I am still in the wait mode for my AVR. Your recovery sounds very promising and not a bad experince at all.

I hope you continue to do well and enjoy those movies and TV shows! Take it easy. I look forward to your updates.

Pat

You sound great! But, make haste slowly. You are wise to cut back a tad on the exercise. 3 x 30 sounds like a lot, although everyone is different.

We all have stories about the times we overdid things post surgery, and how awful we felt.

Keep up the walking, but maybe do 15 minutes or 20 minutes this week, instead of 30, then see how you feel. Don't wear yourself out.

Bean counter....I am so glad you are doing well.....I am curious tho....Are you sure you received a Horse valve???

Yes, positive it is a horse valve. Here is a discussion of the model I have

http://www.bmc.cardiologydomain.com/handler.cfm?event=practice,template&cpid=19265

It was not FDA approved until late 2008, so there probably has not been a lot of discussion around it.

Here is the press release regarding FDA approval

http://salesandmarketingnetwork.com...91&ID=2026486&key=ATS 3f Aortic Bioprosthesis

In March 2010, they did the first endoscopic replacement with this valve...a good indication that replacement of mine will be minimally invasive.

Giddy Up :)

Congrats! Sounds like it couldn't be going any better! Similar to my experience in the hospital (with the same 'major' complaint being the constant waking up during the night, lol). My pain level was similar too. I think I told them 5 or 6 that first day, and it was down to 2 before I left - has been basically a zero for last several weeks for me.

You can still have setbacks though, so don't overdo it like I did! Sounds like you're getting more sleep than I did, which I think was a contributor to my setbacks, but be careful with the exercise too. Since my first week home, my cardio rehab folks have had me working out with them for about 45-50 min. three times a week (typically 20-30 min. walk on a treadmill and 15-20 min on a bike, with 5 min. rest between, and a 5 min. warmup and cool-down being very important. They started me off at about 30 bmp above my resting rate, and have been slowly raising the intensity - now up to about 60-70 bpm above my resting rate. And on the off-days, I'm doing a 30 min. walk. Oh, and they started letting me lift light weights couple weeks ago (week 6 post op).

But glad things are going so well!!! Keep up the good work and hope you have an uneventful recovery!!!

Yes, positive it is a horse valve. Here is a discussion of the model I have

http://www.bmc.cardiologydomain.com/handler.cfm?event=practice,template&cpid=19265

It was not FDA approved until late 2008, so there probably has not been a lot of discussion around it.

Here is the press release regarding FDA approval

http://salesandmarketingnetwork.com...91&ID=2026486&key=ATS 3f Aortic Bioprosthesis

In March 2010, they did the first endoscopic replacement with this valve...a good indication that replacement of mine will be minimally invasive.

Giddy Up :)

That's interesting, I'm not argueing, but a little confused and thinking outloud , I know the one link to Boston (1st) is for their clinical research page, but is not enrolling, just doing follow up in patients that got it. and it is listed as ongoing/enrolling at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=ats+3f for the 1000 EDIT ok the listed trial is for the 19 in oct 08 the bigger sizes were approved. and from an older thread about the valve here http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...-valve.-Anyone-know-about-it&highlight=equine
it looks like they are starting a trial for patients under 60 http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...nger-aortic-valve-replacement-population.aspx

EDitted to add, it looks like the 3rd trial listed at the clinical site is the one for patients under 60 http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01116037?term=ats+3f&rank=3 it started this year and will be done in 1016

There is a completed trial listed,at the clinical trial site, but that looks like it was the Europe one. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01116024?term=ats+3f&rank=2 but that is the 6000
Pubmed has a few studies about it, but their are mostly in Europe and from what I can tell have been used there about 5 years, well that is the latest data posted.

My other question, was I everything I read, even the ATS site http://atsmedical.com/Physicians.aspx?id=2530 says CONTRAINDICATIONS:
The ATS 3f® Aortic Bioprosthesis, Model 1000 should not be used in those patients who present with congenital bicuspid anatomy or other forms of abnormal aortic root geometry.

Did it turn out you didn't have BAV? or has that changed.

Last edited:
Bean Counter,

Man do I identify with the waking-me-up-at-unearthly-hours complaint! I got a copy of my medical records, and found where the nurse had dutifully charted: "Day 1 Post-Op, 4:00AM, patient refused bath."
Well, duh! Wake me up at 4AM for a bath?! C'mon people! :)

Bean Counter,

Man do I identify with the waking-me-up-at-unearthly-hours complaint! I got a copy of my medical records, and found where the nurse had dutifully charted: "Day 1 Post-Op, 4:00AM, patient refused bath."
Well, duh! Wake me up at 4AM for a bath?! C'mon people! :)

Pffft at CCF. your not asked. Your awakened and given the bath whether you want it or not. I could, to this day, shoot those two ladies.

Baby oil helps remove tape residue!

I'm new here - first post. It's good to hear about all the successes. Still waiting for my surgeon to give me a date!

Bean Counter, I am so glad to hear that you continue to do well. My son's surgery is three weeks from Wednesday and I pray things go as well for him. I am curious. Do you have an aneurysm that was wrapped with dacron? He has an aneurysm at the root which will be replaced with a dacron graft. I am wondering why a doc chooses to do one over the other. I have always wished that we could just get in there and wrap Colin's entire aorta with duct tape. Seems to work well for our dryer vent. :) Keep feeling better.

Bean Counter, you seem to be doing VERY well, better than I did and I considered my operation to be almost benign. I trust your rapid recovery will continue.

It appears the BAV contraindication for this valve is relative to how distorted the valve plane geometry is and whether it will allow this stentless tube valve to take its proper shape. So, it's not a firm contraindication in all or even most BAV. Also, it has been used with aortic conduit for people like me. Interesting new valve. The design has some appeal.

Bill

Bean Counter, I am so glad to hear that you continue to do well. My son's surgery is three weeks from Wednesday and I pray things go as well for him. I am curious. Do you have an aneurysm that was wrapped with dacron? He has an aneurysm at the root which will be replaced with a dacron graft. I am wondering why a doc chooses to do one over the other. I have always wished that we could just get in there and wrap Colin's entire aorta with duct tape. Seems to work well for our dryer vent. :) Keep feeling better.

I was a competitive runner up until October 2009. It was 2 weeks before the Chicago marathon and I went in for my pre-race "blessing" and he indicated that my aorta showed up as 4.3 on the echo and he was not comfortable with me running the marathon. I did a MRA a few weeks later and it showed up as 4.0. A few months later, it had gone down to 3.8. I met with 3 surgeons and they all felt that it was not bad enough to be replaced and they would monitor it after surgery. This was a hot button for me as I feared this getting worse again. The surgeon I went with offered this solution up as it preserves the original tissues while reinforcing it. The other surgeon said he could do it as well and the other surgeon said he would not touch that aorta as he believed once the valve was replaced, this would no longer be an issue.

Latest posts

Back