Yoga & other exercises

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paulkel

Hi, I'm 33. I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve at Christmas through an echo. A further TEE last month reveals that I definitly have this condition. The results shows no enlargement of the left venticle and shows everything else to be in good health, however it shows mild to moderate leaking of the aortic valve. I've no symptons. I've led an active lifestyle, attending the gym serveral times a week. I stopped this lifestyle since being diagnosed bicuspid. I asked the junior cardioligist who I was attending if I can attend the gym again. I got a cautious answer... 'because I've mild to moderate leaking then I should stick to moderate exercise.'

My question to you is about yoga.... and specifically 'Bikram yoga' (which is a form of yoga that's practised in an environment of 105 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 40%.

Is this a big no no for someone with my condition? All thoughts are welcomed, thanks :)

I wouldn't say it's not a no no, but listen to your body if it becomes too stressed under the heat. No sense pushing your surgery forward faster then need be.

I don't know to be honest, I'm assuming you've had no ill effects so far. I had a severe leak from a bicuspid valve and had no idea the issue was there until I went to see the doc after feeling a little weird. Prior to this I was cycling to work, 7 miles each way and felt fine. Scary when you think about it, could have keeled over at any time!, but you don't want to hear that. After seeing the cardio, and in the run up to the op, he suggested I stay active by walking ie. take the dog for a walk but stay off the bike.

Welcome Paulkel,
All I can suggest is to listen to your body. BTW, why would want to do anything with an outside temperature of105 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 40%? I know I'm always cold, but even that would be too much for me.

I practice yoga regularly, although I don't do Bikram. During my valve issues/recovery just being outside in the humidity/heat during the summer or sitting in the sauna was at times too much for me, my heart would start pounding pretty hard. I guess like mentioned above you should listen to your body.. if it's too much or your dr. doesn't think it's a good idea, you could just do plain old yoga minus the heat temporarily. It might be more beneficial in that case, as you would be getting the good exercise but not over-stressing your valve.

Hi, I'm 33. I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve at Christmas through an echo. A further TEE last month reveals that I definitly have this condition. The results shows no enlargement of the left venticle and shows everything else to be in good health, however it shows mild to moderate leaking of the aortic valve. I've no symptons. I've led an active lifestyle, attending the gym serveral times a week. I stopped this lifestyle since being diagnosed bicuspid. I asked the junior cardioligist who I was attending if I can attend the gym again. I got a cautious answer... 'because I've mild to moderate leaking then I should stick to moderate exercise.'

My question to you is about yoga.... and specifically 'Bikram yoga' (which is a form of yoga that's practised in an environment of 105 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 40%.

Is this a big no no for someone with my condition? All thoughts are welcomed, thanks :)[/QUOTE] I think I'd want to know what happens to my blood pressure before continuing the "hot Yoga". One of the swimmers I coach was raving about this form of exercise and I personally don't see the appeal. I have no problem sweating because I'm working; sweating because it's hot isn't my idea of fun. Anyway, that's me...again, I'd be concerned about blood pressure.

I've heard that high heat, such as that found in a sauna or in Bikram Yoga, plays havoc with your blood pressure. Maybe it is safer to stick to regular Yoga for the time being?

I asked the junior cardioligist who I was attending if I can attend the gym again. I got a cautious answer... 'because I've mild to moderate leaking then I should stick to moderate exercise.'

I've got a question for anyone that may know the answer.

Is this just a generic, cautious Dr's reply? What type of damage could be done to the heart if one didn't adhere to the Dr's direction?

This is probably a stupid question, but I honestly don't know why and would like to learn.

Thanks!

I have severe aortic stenosis and was told to avoid extremes in temperature and any situations where I could get dehydrated (along with other exercise limitations). Consequently, I avoid bikram/hot yoga classes and stick to hatha yoga.

This make help with the explanation:

From Merk website: "With AS the heart has to work harder to pump blood through the valve into the aorta and to pump enough blood to the brain and other vital organs. Pressure increases in the left ventricle.

Conditions that lower blood pressure, such as dehydration, can make pumping enough blood even harder.

Hope this helps!

Is this a big no no for someone with my condition? All thoughts are welcomed,

Yeah, my thoughts are this is freakin nuts. At 105 F I don't practice anything but sitting and drinking. Well, to tell the truth I've only felt 105 F once or twice in my life but I've done plenty of sitting and drinking nonetheless. It was about 60 F when I ran today and I sweated enough at that temp. But if you're used to it, then the valve leakage would make no difference.

I didn't have AVR until I was already seeing significant enlargement and I did some real intense workouts and races for years preceding it. My valve was monitored since age 10 and I never had limitations until it got to the enlargement phase. The leakage often does not increase gradually, it jumps. It can remain the same for several years and suddenly increase quite a bit, then remain at that level for years. It changed on me 3 times. My cardiologist used to tell me you'll know when it's time when you can no longer do what you normally do and if that's 10 mile runs then let me know when you have trouble running 10 miles.

I've got a question for anyone that may know the answer.

Is this just a generic, cautious Dr's reply? What type of damage could be done to the heart if one didn't adhere to the Dr's direction?

This is probably a stupid question, but I honestly don't know why and would like to learn.

Thanks!

I would follow doctor's instruction after I analyze it well!!! Most of the time, if it is coming from a good cardio, follow his instructions, as if you do not, your pushing and advancing whatever the problem is!! Just my humble opinion and out of personal experience.

I have tried Bikram yoga. there used to be a studio across the street from my office. I am convinced that there is no vald reason to perform any exercise inside a room heated to 102-103, unless you are a special forces soldier training for extreme combat conditions.

I think Bikram is full of it. You will get the same results doing the same yoga postures in normal room temperatures.

I also feel that exercising in a temps of 102 is an accident waiting to happen.

These are some of the questions I have had myself. As far as the Bikram yoga is concerned. There are precautions issued against both saunas and weight lifting. Which to me suggests you should not do either.

Have I done yoga? Here and there and I just tried to see what my body told me as far as what was too much. Yet I have always wondered if I should be doing it. How does it differ from weight lifting with regards to precautions issued against weight lifting. It seems like they should be the same.

I am 15 weeks POST OP after AVR and the Bentall procedure. I just joined yoga last week and I am loving it. My cardiologist recommended it and my cardiac rehab team just said be careful using my arms to hold me up for long periods of time. I am keeping up with the class fairly well and I know I've just found something I am loving.

bikram

bikram

My cardiologist told me not to do yoga before my surgery. Just ask. I used to do Bikram and I noticed I got dizzy. Better safe than sorry.

VERY personal opinion:I absolutely dont see the point of sitting in an oven and doing Yoga (plz note I practise Yoga - irregularly though - since app 12 years). Without any scientific proof for my claim: I have a nagging feeling this is NOT that healthy (cf the blood pressure comments made elsewhere)

take care

Latest posts

Back