Woodbutchers off again ....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbutcher

Still not quite a year since my OHS, Warfarin and a mechanical Aortic valve... So bare this in mind if you're worried about what you can do after your operation ...
I just got back a week ago from cycling over a thousand miles solo for a heart charity and tomorrow I'm off to North Afirica for a weeks surfing and fully expect to out surf most of the others in the 6 man party !
So, if you've been diagnosed or recently had an operation, then try not to worry about limitations to your lifestyle ... I'm pushing myself harder now than ever I did before my operation ... And I only knew I even had a heart condition a little while before surgery too.
It's horrible and scary being told that you need heart valve surgery but it's not the end of the world... Justin

Enjoy your training Justin.....I believe that is what you called surfing before your bike ride :) Glad to see you back on here, I thought you were maybe still napping after that long journey.
Best wishes, have a great holiday you deserve it.

I can't wait to get past these first few months and into some serious exercise like you! THANKS for the encouraging message.

Thanks Bill and co... I found this forum to be a fantastically encouraging place when I thought life as I knew it was over for good, a year ago. Now I'm relieved to be doing pretty well and able to offer some encouragement myself to others. This forum really is a geat place ...

I found this forum to be a fantastically encouraging place when I thought life as I knew it was over for good,

And it is, so now you can start having some fun. You might try sky diving, rocky mountain climbing and 2.7 seconds on a bull named fu manchu...

So, if you've been diagnosed or recently had an operation, then try not to worry about limitations to your lifestyle ... I'm pushing myself harder now than ever I did before my operation ... And I only knew I even had a heart condition a little while before surgery too.
It's horrible and scary being told that you need heart valve surgery but it's not the end of the world... Justin

Congratulations on the finish of your bike trek and good luck with the surfing; sounds like a lot more fun.
I think your message quoted above is really powerful and altho many of us have the chance to read it and make lifestyle changes many others that could use the encouragement don't. That's a shame! Thanks for posting it.

Blimey ... Thank you everyone ... I'm here, there third world ! North Africa ... Hustle, bustle, howling dogs, echoing calls to prayer, rumbling overloaded lorries on dusty tracks .... But ... Blue skies, miles and miles and miles of Beach breaks, reef breaks and point breaks !!! Left London this morning and surfing this afternoon ... In the UK I never surf without my wetsuit but today, in November I had on just my Boardies !! What a dream .. I love Africa !

You are mad ! I haven't done anything nearly as crazy as you, but my life has just been rolling along much as it was before OHS. Yes, it is good on this side of the mountain, and as long as you are happy doing crazy sporty things, go for it!

No great whites ... Did see a few huge jelly fish today though ! Back in my cafe for a coffee and type in the very warm night air ! Blinding day today, big surf and general carnage of boards. Mine got three dings, another got a chunk off the front and another snapped clean in half !! Right out of my comfort zone out there today, just where I like to be, once in a while ! Stoked though but my back's red as a lobster ! Desperately needing some after sun .... Up a six in the morning for a dawny off Anchor point ... yeay !

WOW! Good for you, but you may want to start wearing a T-shirt for your back - that's gonna hurt soon.

How's the knee? It was you who was having a sore knee while biking wasn't it? or do I have you confused with someone else?

In any case, go have a blast and bring home presents ;)

Hi Freddie, yes it was me with the poorly knee. It only hurts when I cycle luckily ! I'm fine surfing.
I should keep my Tshirt on more. I was overheating in the sea and took off my rash vest ! Stupid !
It's not hurting though, just glowing a bit !

Latest posts

Back