Wheelchair user - will I need help after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZoom

I just read an article on New Mobility magazine's website that floored me.

http://www.newmobility.com/articleView.cfm?id=1125&action=browse

Basically this guy is a paraplegic. He had open heart surgery, and afterward could not lift himself for 6-8 weeks. He became, functionally, a quadriplegic for that period and needed a personal care assistant (his wife helped out a lot).

I am also a paraplegic and am facing valve replacement surgery in the near future. I live alone, do not use an attendant. I lift myself a lot - between bed and wheelchair, wheelchair and toilet, wheelchair and car seat. Is what this guy experienced in my future??? :confused:

I don't know about 6-8 weeks, but I definitely think you will have trouble lifting yourself for at least several weeks. Have you thought about having minimally invasive so you don't have to wait for your sternum to heal? You might be able to lift yourself much sooner that way. I would bring this subject up with your surgeon sooner rather than later and start making arrangements for someone to be with you.

Kim

The usual discharge instructions include a 5 pound Pushing / Pulling / Lifting Restriction with scheduled increases. Unfortunately, I don't remember how it tapers up but it will be several weeks.

It takes 6 weeks for the sternum to reach 80% strength and 12 weeks to reach 100%.

Most Surgeons will release patients to return to non-physical (desk) jobs after 6 to 8 weeks.

Talk with your Cardiologist and Surgeon about how surgery will impact your life.

'AL Capshaw'

Both my OHS, I was instructed to lift nothing weighing more than 10 pounds for 4 weeks and 15 pounds for several weeks after. If your sternum does not heal well first time through, it can be a nasty situation. I think this is something you need to discuss with your surgeon and cardio prior to surgery in order for you to make whatever arrangements might be necessary as Kim suggested above.

Wishing you the very best and hoping you can have minimal invasive surgery as that might make an easier time for you.

I would definitely ask about the minimally invasive procedure. I think you would be an excellent candidate. That really would be for your Dr's to decide though.

Where I had my surgery in Quebec, they would send patients needing assistance to a post op rehab centre for a few
weeks, and then arrange for a home care nurse if necessary.

If an attendant is not in the cards what about renting or leasing a standing power chair ? http://www.redmanpowerchair.com/ anda recliner that functions the same.
I agree that the minimal invasive may aid in the fact that there is no sternal precautions needed but each case is different either way keep the community informed as to your progress.

MrZoom, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family the decision you face is very personal and varies with each person .....there is a wealth of knowledge here for now and the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

I had the sternum incision and I am not a paraplegic but I think I personal would need assistance. I had to get my husband to help me out of the bath tub for the first two weeks even with my perfectly functioning legs. I couldn't open child resistant pill bottles for about a month, I couldn't open jars, I couldn't lift pots or pans. I slept in a recliner because it was easier to get out of that than the bed. If you have a relative or friend that can stay with you that would be great, and while you are in the hospital have them teach you some exercises that will allow your chest and arms to gain strength back quickly and safely

I had the sternum incision and I am not a paraplegic but I think I personal would need assistance. I had to get my husband to help me out of the bath tub for the first two weeks even with my perfectly functioning legs. I couldn't open child resistant pill bottles for about a month, I couldn't open jars, I couldn't lift pots or pans. I slept in a recliner because it was easier to get out of that than the bed. If you have a relative or friend that can stay with you that would be great, and while you are in the hospital have them teach you some exercises that will allow your chest and arms to gain strength back quickly and safely

The lifting / pulling / pushing restrictions following a Sternotomy is NOT because of a lack of strength,
it is to give the Sternum time to heal without tearing the healing bone junction. My understanding is that it takes 6 weeks to reach 80% of original strength and 12 weeks to be fully healed.

'AL Capshaw'

I'm Post Polio and while I have use of my legs, using crutches, I cannot stand from a sitting position or sit from a prone position without using my arms. This was impossible after my AVR surgery. When I was in the hospital, the staff used a Hoyer Lift to help me get out of bed and into a chair the first few days that I was able to do this. My initial hospital stay was longer than most, 8 days, and then I was sent to a rehab unit for an additional 9 days. During the first six weeks I wasn't allowed to lift anything, because I gradually began using my arms to move myself and that was considered more than enough stress on my sternum. Once home, I used a lift chair and raised toilet seat to eliminate as much pushing with me arms as possible. My recovery was slower than most and mobility was certainly an issue, but the necessity of the surgery overroad every other consideration. The time I spent in rehab after surgery was essential to my recovery. Jane

I had very little discomfort immediately after my AVR but I could not lift a full laundry basket. If your surgeon is going to use a sternal incision, I think it would be prudent to listen to your friends here and make arrangements for assistance for the weeks after surgery. It must be difficult for you to think about being dependent for the early weeks of your recovery but it is something that must be faced. If you do not allow your sternum and chest muscles to heal properly during that early period of recovery, I think the consequences could be more immediate and more troublesome for you than for most us. I would encourage you to give yourself that time. I hope you will continue writing about your experience because others will find it helpful to hear how you deal with the period of debility after surgery that we all share to some extent.

I hope you seriously consider, Kim's suggestion that you speak with your surgeon about an alternative to the sternotomy. You have nothing to loose by asking and possibly a lot to gain. Take Care.

Larry

I'm 10 days post op and had a mini-sternotomy. While I think there is much less "movement" in the sternum compared to a full sternotomy, it is still difficult to do anything push/pull or with arms extended away from the body. If you do, you set yourself up for more pain and slower healing. You absolutely cannot use your arms to re-position yourself in the first few weeks after surgery.

You might want to look into "surgical talons," too as a possible for the surgeon to give your sternum more stability during healing.

I wish you luck. Plan for the worst and expect the best, for sure. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back