What's the best heart pillow?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsunshine

Hi All,

This coming weekend is the last weekend before Skyler’s big surgery… I was hoping to make him a heart pillow for coughing (and finish the quilt I started him back in March)… maybe I could even add an attachment for the seatbelt?

Could everyone that has one post a photo of what their pillow looked like, what they liked/didn’t like about it? What (approximately) were the dimensions? How thick? What type of fabric (fleece, light cotton, flannel).

I presume that there is lots of variation in personal preference, but I bet there are some things in common.

Thanks!

Massachusetts General Hospital did not provide heart pillows, per se, for either of my OHS. The nurses made me rolled up towel thing the second time which worked fine but when I came home, I used a firmly stuffed small throw pillow. In advance of my second surgery, I tried any number of them as I knew what was comfortable for me the first time. Ones that are feather soft and mushy did not provide enough substance to give comfort and foam rubber was too unyielding to mold well to my body shape when I needed to grab and use it.

If you are making one, I suggest you overstuff it with fiberfill to make it firm. As to size, I found about 12 - 14" square was good. I could place it between me and the seatbelt when I went in the car. That was really helpful.

The best thing you can have for him in addition to a cough pillow are lots of pillows to help him get comfortable in bed. I had loads of pillows in different sizes and that enabled me to be comfortable from day one in our king bed. I needed to sleep propped up at first but quickly kept eliminating pillows throughout the first week to ten days home. Soon I was back to using just my usual one king pillow but those extra pillows made a huge difference for me.

Best wishes.

Hi Sarasunshine,

I got one from my hospital -- the tag calls out it is from 'Shumsky Therapeutic Pillows' -- here's a link to thier websiite for photos: http://www.therapeuticpillows.com/originalheartpillow.cfm

Mine is 16"wide x 14"high x 4"thick. The tag says the cover is 65% polyester/35% cotton with a 100% ployester filling (like a normal pillow).

Working great for me!

Hope this helps.

Dan

Sarah, like alot of things, heart pillows that adults find comfortable and worked well MIGHT not work for children depending on their size. Actually Justin made alot of heart pillows for kids having heart surgey as his project to earn Eagle Scout because he knew from his surgery when he was 10 there really were NOT alot of good heart pillows for kids, most things, including the heart shaped pillows many hospitals buy to give out, were too big to really help.

When he and his friends made them, they made a couple sizes for different sized kids. They made rectangle pillows because they were easy and a good shape to hug. His were fleece with polyfill since they were washable and good for people with allergies. As for the best size, since it is for Skyler, I would measure his chest to make sure it isn't too wide or long (when sitting down you dont want it too long so it doesn't go above your shoulders) or have him try hugging a couple different throw pillows and see which size work best. here's a link that has a picture of some of them http://tchin.org/portraits/justin-2.htm

now with all that said, his last few surgeries, he really liked to use Uglydolls. (the classic or origonal size) They were the right size and firmness and they make people smile. We've given a few to close friends having heart (or abdomen) surgery and they all said they worked great. We got brand new ones for each surgery and usually try to keep a new one on hand because he's had some unexpected surgeries. http://www.uglydolls.com/products/category/Classic/322.0.1.1.102286.14988.0.0.0 has them but since his first ones they've gotten pretty popular and alot of stores (even toys R Us, I believe) have them.

Last edited:
Check to see if the hospital is affiliated with a volunteer organization called Mended Hearts, through which former heart-surgery patients visit current ones pre- and post-op. If so, Mended Hearts will supply a free heart pillow -- very cushy and comfortable and attractive; I don't know the exact dimensions.

I saw some really cute 'Pillow Pets' at Walmart the other day, when I saw them I thought they looked ideal for a heart pillow. You could purchase one of those or try making one, they look fairly basic. I was given a purchased flower shaped pillow, it was covered in really soft plush, I love it.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Skyler is 56” and 67lbs… so he’s a short bean pole (well, compared to your average adult).

Thanks for the comments. I think what I need to find out is if they do provide pillows (ask DH to find out at pre-op tomorrow), and if so, if they are generic for adults. Other than that, I have a general idea of what to make. I can make something fun, but I like the idea of having something that everyone at the hospital can sign for him. I think he’d like that too. So maybe I’ll find some heavy flannel, and add some “legs” and “ears” to it. Maybe a sneaky pocket to put something in, or even a Velcro panel on the back so it can go on a seatbelt.

I’m getting an idea of what shape and consistency it should be: firm enough to have support, yet soft enough to be “huggable” and “friendly”. Long and skinny may be better for his (current) stature. Probably no more than 10-12” long and 6-8” wide I’m thinking for his size. Material should be soft.

Now all I need is some time to make it BEFORE his surgery.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Skyler is 56” and 67lbs… so he’s a short bean pole (well, compared to your average adult).

Thanks for the comments. I think what I need to find out is if they do provide pillows (ask DH to find out at pre-op tomorrow), and if so, if they are generic for adults. Other than that, I have a general idea of what to make. I can make something fun, but I like the idea of having something that everyone at the hospital can sign for him. I think he’d like that too. So maybe I’ll find some heavy flannel, and add some “legs” and “ears” to it. Maybe a sneaky pocket to put something in, or even a Velcro panel on the back so it can go on a seatbelt.

I’m getting an idea of what shape and consistency it should be: firm enough to have support, yet soft enough to be “huggable” and “friendly”. Long and skinny may be better for his (current) stature. Probably no more than 10-12” long and 6-8” wide I’m thinking for his size. Material should be soft.

Now all I need is some time to make it BEFORE his surgery.

Just so you know some people dont like you to have people sign the pillow you will be holding against your chest because the increased chances of germs.
Speaking of pillows the one thing we ALWAYS take for Justin (and me :) ) are new fleece blankets, Hospitals are usually freezing and the thin blankets they have are pretty useless

Last edited:
I used mine like 2 times and it didn't really help. Guess I was using it wrong.

I'll second the blanket thing. I got a nice new throw fleece thing that was awesome in the 'spital...

I used mine like 2 times and it didn't really help. Guess I was using it wrong.

I'll second the blanket thing. I got a nice new throw fleece thing that was awesome in the 'spital...

Did you hug it when you were coughing or laughing? It mainly helps to stabilize the sternum.

I got my heart pillow from the hospital and it had a really bad smell.... yuck so I didn't use. But I do have an idea for the seat belt: take some sheep wool and wrap it around the seat belt and sew on some 2 sided Velcro (you know, one smooth side, one grippe side). It should be able to slide up and down the seat belt when not in use, but stay in place when it's in use. You can make it as long as you like as long as the Velcro is the same length.

My pillow from the hospital was heart shaped and had a marker for people to sign (like a cast) ... Thankfully I did not really need the pillow but it's nice to read the comments from time to time....

Thanks again All,

Larry is sending Skyelr a Tulsa Heart Bear!

I still like the marker idea, though, and see that a blanket would be great (and comforting), so maybe I'll get a blanket that can be easily written on with a Sharpee.

Cheers!

Did you hug it when you were coughing or laughing? It mainly helps to stabilize the sternum.

Mine was too stiff and it hurt my incision so I blew it off. I just cross my arms and hold my ribs if I sneeze. I got kind of nutty on Vicodin in the hospital and my Dad was there just laughing and egging me on. I busted out laughing a TON and it hurt a bit (should have had the pillow) but the laughter made me feel waaaay better!!

I guess I just healed fast or maybe I'm just so stubborn and hard headed that I barely use anything the docs or nurses tell me to use.

My pillow they gave me was rectangle, about 10x12. It had the shape of one of those "neck" pillows where there's like one side that is a roll and then a valley then another small roll. It worked good to put the scar the roll valley and squeeze.

Latest posts

Back