What is the "Pillow" business about?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because after OHS every time you cough, sneeze, laugh, or do anything else that might put any stress on your sternum you are in for some eye watering pain...even if doesn't last that long. If you have a pillow to hold against your sternum to brace yourself when any of these things happen it greatly reduces the discomfort and comes with it.

Now if you could explain why the girl in this video is stealing everyone's pillows I would greatly appreciate it. My only guess is that she is gathering them up for people that are about to undergo OHS.

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK716RqoUms

i got a red heart shaped pillow immediately after surgery I use it every time I cough by holding it very tightly against my chest. I had a surprize sneeze yesterday (2 weeks post op) and it hurt much worse without the pillow to brace against.

I also received a red heart shaped pillow in the hospital. However, I was lucky in the pain department (at least as far as my sternum was concerned), and I had no need for mine. Left it in the hospital when I checked out. I do remember needing it for my first surgery though.

I was wondering about what the pillow was for too. Good to know. So I'm right to guess that it should be a "firm" pillow and not a nice fluffy one?

Ahhh, you'll find out my friend that your little pillow will be your best friend after OHS. Would you believe I still have mine from 34 years ago when I had my first 2 OHS??? Yep.....special friend! :)

Hedgewick--you're right about the firm pillow. The one Mended Hearts gave me was too mushy (though very attractive) and I started using a rolled-up towel after I came home. The hospital had small firm pillows that worked well.

I had a pillow when I woke up - a small little oblong one. they instructed me on how/when to use it and I toted that thing around for a LONG time. you will, too.

For my two first surgeries I never got one. For this surgery Cleveland doesn't give them out. Russsing Fusssing little...........

I gotta agree! I received a red heart shaped pillow from Cleveland Clinic and I have a very fond attachment to it. I'm pretty much done with the coughing but now I use it to support my right back side every single night. I don't think I'll ever give it up! Seems like we've been through a lot together. :)

I never used mine, why do you ask? I think is was because I was in BIG time denial of having surgery. I never coughed after surgery and I think it was about 3 months before I sneezed, even at that time I just gave myself a strong hug.
Does anybody want this heart shape pillow? I don't need to be reminded on what I went through.

Latest posts

Back