What do I need?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsunshine

OK, so what would you suggest taking to the hospital? Maybe items he should have post-surgery? I'm sure the necessities will be covered, but what about the things it would be great to have, particularly for a 12yo?

I hoping to get a good list so that we miss the fewest things possible. Someone will likely be with Skyler post-surgery so it's a matter of making sure he has stuff available to him.

Hospital:
1) a small memo pad and pencil would be good for post surgery (small whiteboard and water soluble marker?)
2) heart pillow (hope to make one this weekend)
3) stuffy
4) Pictures for hospital room
5) lap-top computer? (not sure if the hospital allows them since they don't allow cell phones...)

Post-surgery at home:
3) Button up shirts and pyjamas
4) Bathrobe

Items to ask the hospital for:
1) anti-adhesive swipes

There is a huge thread on this topic at the Pre Surgery forum....... here
http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?4-Pre-Surgery

From two OHS, my experience is I needed very little. Most everything I needed was supplied by the hospital.

All I really wanted or needed was:

toothbrush/toothpaste
deoderant
cellphone and charger
notepad/pen/pencil
CHAPSTICK/lip balm.... really wanted that!
slippers (I hate the socks the hospitals provide)
comb/brush
reading glasses if patient uses them or regular glasses - whatever they use
mouth fresh spray
lipstick (really only wanted that my last day)
some small amounts of cash..... just a few ones and fives
ear plugs if you can stand them and might have a roommate
loose clothes to come home in

I never used my own robe, couldn't concentrate to read, didn't want my netbook/computer.
Though I brought a robe, I never used it. I was more comfortable using two hospital gowns, one that opened in the back with another that opened in the front over it.

Take a look at the huge thread to see if you get ideas but most people really need and want very little that is not provided by the hospital.

Hello again sarahsunshine (I just replied to your post abut pillows).

You might want to start by reviewing the sticky in pre-surgery: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist and the sticky in post surgery: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...How-to-prepare-a-house-for-homecoming-patient -- both are good strings with a lot of good info from other forum members. They helped me a lot.

Another tip I would give you is that if they offer it and you have time before the surgery, see if you can get a tour of the hospital where the surgery is taking place. I did, along with my wife, and learned a bunch iof really helpful things about the hospital and what they provided. Looking at those strings I mentioned above, it is clear that different hospitals offer differing amounts of things for thier patients. In fact, during the tourwas the only place I was told I would be receiving a cough pillow from the hospital. Otherwise, I would have had no idea athat I was going to be given one.

As for my needs during my hospital stay, there were not many as my hospital provided everything from shampoo (both waterless and shower type) pajama bottoms to go with the gowns, wireless internet and a means (though bulky) of getting on the internet through the TV. All of that was after I was moved from ICU - there was nothing in ICU as you can imagine, I was in bed all day and they were focused on care at that point.

Dan

Thanks guys...

I knew I'd read a thread ages abo, but couldn't find it... Why didn't I look the obvious place? :eek:

What hospital is he having surgery at? Is it a Children hospital, or if not will he been on a childrens floor?

Justin's main problems was being bored and Every hospital of course is different, but one of the things that was important to Justin at least and probably other kids was we called (or you can ask during the Pre op visit) to see what kind of game sysems they had and if they had game systems in each room/each tv for rooms that aren't private. Some places have games on a cart they'll move when you want to use it, others have them hooked up in each room..Justin was happy the CICU even had games in each room.That way we could take some new games for him to play when he was in the hospital, IF itt wasn't a system he had at home, we would just donate the games when he went home.

Depending what Skyler likes we always took things to do when he was bored, cards, small Legos when he was younger or books or word-search type magazines. We also took his laptop an Ipod, and if your laptop plays movies we took some to watch (or they might have DVD players in the rooms, ask so you know if it is DVDs or Bluray) We also asked about internet in the room, so we would be sure to have the right cables if we needed but even his last surgery in 07 the rooms were WIFI.

Justin always preferred to wear his own clothes pretty much as soon as he was able to walk the halls, he wore gym shors or lounge type flannel pants or sweats, and from our experience at least most of the kids middle school age and up seemed to prefer to have on their own cloths too when we passed them in the halls.

Last edited:
I just got home from mine on tues! I of course overpacked.... But I really was happy that I took a pair of my own bottom up pajamas and a hat ( I have long hair). I also did take my iPad for Internet and to read and used it... But couldn't concentrate very long on anything so never did read anything!! I took m own comfy robe and even used it for a blanket for that extra cuddle!

I got home last week and would have brought for sure my bath robe...it would have made a huge difference in comfort for me and made me feel better about walking around...pockets...a really nice one I got from the Beverly Hilton...I would have looked like a celebrity with that and my Maserati baseball cap...lol.

def bring slippers, laptop (no doubt), good headphones, good ear plugs!, lip balm, Netflix subscription or down load some shows or movies is a nice idea. Pen and paper and some loose comfortable clothes for checking out...

See how different we all are.......

it's amazing IMO

I am attached at the hip with my computer, in my 'regular' life and when my husband wanted to bring my laptop for me, I shuddered. I had NO interest in it during either of my stays for OHS.

I brought my 'classy' bathrobe and it hung in the closet unused. I didn't want any part of it.

I had TV and turned it on once or twice just to hear news/weather report as I looked out the window onto City of Boston and saw it snowing. I was curious how much snow was predicted. I didn't watch more than total 45 minutes tv the whole time I was post op in the hospital.

I couldn't read.
I couldn't concentrate.
I only wanted to sleep, walk, see my DH sporadically and try to force myself to eat a little. The 'do' things, for me, were those directly related to healing and I had no concept of needing entertainment or being bored while in the hospital.
That was it. I kept guests to barest minimum.... just the couple of people I love the most.

Sarah, don't worry so much. Everyone I know takes far more to the hospital than is needed. I found that after I woke up in my own room I couldn't concentrate on anything for long. Reading? I tried but it didn't work. I didn't even like the TV on while I was there. The things that made my stay better were

1. Having my own soft clothes to change into as soon as I could take a shower.
(I found buttons down the front to be very uncomfortable and at times painful; I had no problem with loose pullover clothing.)
2. My telephone through which I could chat with friends when I was awake.
3. Most of all, the music I took on my MP3 player. It was so nice having my own familiar music and unlike reading, it didn't matter if I dozed off while something was playing.

By the time one is ready to start doing more things, you are probably already home.

Larry
Tulsa, OK

Sarah, How close is the hospital to your and Mom's homes? If it is close enough people will be going home each day, that can make a big difference. Don went home every day and I spend 24/7 at the hospital, so the day of surgery we take very little, mostly things i'll need and a fleece blanket, hug pillow and chapstick for Justin and a word searchbook or small things to do in the preop holding area to keep your mind busy. He wore indoor/outdoor shoes to the hospital (like moccasins or clog slippers) that he could also use as slippers.

Then the next morning Don brought more things for Justin, clothes games etc, that way we didn't have to lug things all over until we had a room and he really didn't need much the first night. IF your close to home, don't worry if you think of things you need you can just have it brought the next day or if someone is coming by later type thing. We didn't even bring alot of clothes, since don took the dirty things home and brought clean stuff. I DID have most things we would need together in one spot at home, so Don didn't have to look all over to pack things.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

I knew I'd read a thread ages abo, but couldn't find it... Why didn't I look the obvious place? :eek:

There is a sticky note at the the top of the Pre-Surgery Forum titled What To Take To The Hospital.

I don't think a board and marker will be needed. Most patients are only kept intubated a few hours and are usually not conscious enough to communicate or want to communicate.

Great!

Judging by peoples comments and Skyler, he will want:

Blanket
Pyjama bottoms
Bathrobe (he'd wear it to school if he had a choice)
Laptop/DVD - We have netflix and he has Skype to talk to friends and family who can't be there
Chapstick
pencil and notepad
slippers
And I'm planning a poster with photos of family
Camera (for me to make a memory book from)
Homemade cookies for the nurses (no nuts)

Oh, and don't bring anything except for blanket until the next morning...

I don't know how it will work... I think that he wil have a shared room (all there is) in the children's cardiac wing. He's been there before for cath procedures. They have a TV, but we will have to see what else.

This is a bit Off Topic and doesn't relate but I have to vent it here....I was a good patient and got my meds from the nurses as directed...But I do regret not bringing my own meds (gasp!)...I resented having to wait and ask for sleeping pill or a xanax or a pain pill, I'm a big boy and know more about the drug interactions than they probably do....I resented having to wait forever and then literally having them watch me take the medication...I understand their need to know what I am taking but for someone like me, I resented having to ask and ask for pain med and sleeping pill....I don't recommend most people bring their own but god forbid I had to do it again, I certainly would do it myself and tell em that I did. Bad boys get better service and respect...lolol

Great!

Judging by peoples comments and Skyler, he will want:

Blanket
Pyjama bottoms
Bathrobe (he'd wear it to school if he had a choice)
Laptop/DVD - We have netflix and he has Skype to talk to friends and family who can't be there
Chapstick
pencil and notepad
slippers
And I'm planning a poster with photos of family
Camera (for me to make a memory book from)
Homemade cookies for the nurses (no nuts)

Oh, and don't bring anything except for blanket until the next morning...

I don't know how it will work... I think that he wil have a shared room (all there is) in the children's cardiac wing. He's been there before for cath procedures. They have a TV, but we will have to see what else.

I would take the chapstick the day of surgery, Justin used it pretty early since your so dry when you wake up, beside the blanket if you are making/buying a hug pillow, Justin used his the first night after he was off the vent for his last few surgeries. Also chances are he might need his slippers the first night, early the next morning when they get him up, probably into a chair.
Depending which parent will be spending the night and IF they can spend the night in CICU, take their things too.

Dont forget to pack a small bag with things for you guys during the surgery while everyone waits, snacks, money for vending machine, laptop or IPAD ect

Last edited:
Your children are so lucky to have such good mom's! I could have used my Mom (no no) but you get the idea...I was lucky to have the best sister in the world to put up with me...I didn't let my various gf's visit me or even my kids...it's a time (at least for me) to be just selfish and not worry about putting on an act for anyone else.

Nothing better than a mother's concern and love. hats off to you all.

A 12-year-old may feel a lot more like doing stuff in the hospital after surgery than most adults. Kids bounce back pretty quick. You'll probably know by a day or so after, what he will want to do and maybe some books and/or games might be in order for him.

Wishing all the best for both of you!

Latest posts

Back