What are the chances.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

Hi all,

So my one year valveversary came and went on June 7th(On-x Aortic valve). Things were going very well - I completed 2 sprint triathlons, one in April and then one June 2nd which was an open water swim! I rode my bike 3 times a week 20-30 miles each time, jogged, swam, lost 45 pounds over the last year, watched my INR levels, cholesteral levels always been around 135, bp always been around 114/70, no plauqe buildup, nothing, zip zilch... THEN... June 18th arrives and my riding partner and I head out for our routine normal lunch time ride, only this time it was not so routine... I spin nice and easy up a hill, and on the way down start to get this very uncomfortable feeling in my chest, by the time we get to the bottom, it feels like I drank a bottle of soda way to fast and had to burp, but multiplied 100 fold.. then my jaw started to hurt, my left arm got achey, I was getting light head and weak... I was having a heart attack, but I did not know it, I thought it is just the humidity...So I started to walk my bike back to work - did not get far before I had to stop. My friend called a co-worker who came out to get us, we took the bikes back to work, and she drove me to the urgent care, which thank God was only 1 mile the other direction from work. Within minutes I was in the back of an ambulance heading to Charlotte. Multiple tests and bouts of vomiting later I was admitted.. I had had a heart attack at the age of 39. I was admitted with an INR of 2.4, perfectly fine..June 20, we did a radial cath and that showed a VERY angry clot of 23mm length, 3 mm diameter in my median LAD, causing 95% blockage...My valve threw a clot... No other causes could be found. Received a bollus of some clot buster and a drip all night, June 21 we did another cath to try to remove the clot, no such luck, this thing was not going anywhere, I had the best interventional cardiologist in the area, and he pulled out all the stops but in the end had to use 3 stents to pin this thing to the wall. On the way out I started bleeding and had to go into emergency surgery and received a unit of blood during surgery and 1 two days later.

I thank God that that clot stayed in my heart and did not travel to my brain, although best case would have been to not have this happen at all....My husband and I knew there was a risk of this happening with a mechanical valve, regardless of what studies show, etc. etc.. this is still a foreign object in a human body. Now, don't get me wrong, I would make the same decision to go artificial again if I ever (god forbid) have to go thru this again.
I really just wanted to share, because right now, I am having a hard time going from training for triathlons to gasping for breath if I go up too many stairs at one time.. I know this is temporary.. but holy smokes!!

OMG! Jen. I hope that you continue to improve. I know right now, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't so bright, but it will be soon. I am so happy to hear that you recieved medial attention quickly. And thank you for posting your info. Sometimes we think this could never happen to me and then BAM!! it does. Sending you some good vibes. Get stronger and better soon.

This thread is indeed a very important one;
you had everything in your favor: Young, fit, On-x valve, perfect INR, and then trouble hits right out of left field.
Wishing you a fast recovery. :)

I'm sorry to hear this Jen. I'm really gld that your friend was with you at the time and they got you to medical care quickly, and that you didnt try to wait to see if things felt better etc. Please keep us updated on your , hopefully quick and full, recovery. You're in my prayers

I'm so sorry to hear all you've been through but thank you for sharing with us.
We coast along thinking everything is cool and whamo.....

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
It'll take a bit to wrap your head around this but you are otherwise young, strong and healthy and you'll come out of this fine. Sounds like you got excellent care.
Let us know how you are doing.

Wow! Take your time getting back into shape, but don't give up....if you want to stop over to cardiac athletes, we have many full on heart attack patients back doing full tri's....

Wow. What a story!!!! I have a medical question. Why can't they suck the clot out or scoop out when they are in there with their caths?

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and I hope you can resume your training soon.

PS I wonder when this clot formed? And whether it would've been possible to see it on yearly echo's, etc?

Very unlucky, especially after looking after yourself so well :(
Thank God you and others recognised what was going on ... you've been given ANOTHER chance so really enjoy life from now!
Thinking of you x

I'm glad your okay! What are the odds? For a clot to form like that I'd say less than 1%. Perfect INR great shape. This should have never happened to you. These kind of things can make someone feel some buyers remorse. I'm really bummed this happened to you. You were and are the post boy/girl of health and then BAM at age 39. Makes me wonder if some are just more vulnerable to clotting than others like genetics. Would a higher INR prevented this? Man I'm glad your okay. I feel like as a team we've taken a hit. I pray for peace in your mind and for no more clot events in Jesus Name.

Jen - You must have angered the clot gods big time! You were really lucky to be so close to such competent care, too. Be really careful, but go for recovery. Don't let this get you down. You're doing everything right, just had the wrong luck this time.

Thank you all.. I am so thankful for another chance, actually 2 chances that week with crashing after the cath because of a RP bleed and heading to emergency surgery. I am almost past the angry why me poor me stage. That anger stage will get ya if you let it!

@ The Gym Guy - my DR did try the angiojet, and a few other things, the dang clot just would not budge. The day before they gave me a bollus of REOPRO(spelling) and drip all night, in addition to the heparin in an attempt to dissolve it. I am only a year out of AVR, so my check up with echo was going to be Monday the 16th. I don't know how long it would take for a clot that size to form, although I remember looking at the JP drain from my emergency surgery and there were clots in it that formed within hours.... I just don't know - 1 in a million :) Makes me "special" I guess LOL
@ Jullian - Please don't 2nd guess your decision of a mech valve, like I said, if God forbid I had to do it over again I would still go mechanical. My DR and I discussed the possiblity that my maintenance INR could have been too low for me, he wants me a little closer to 3.0 now. No biggie, just be a little more careful when I can get back to riding my bike :)
@ Allison - Another chance... I was actually working on my pre-requsites to go to nursing school when all this happened, I have been delayed a semester, but I truly feel and have always felt my calling was nursing. I am such a huge advocate of women's heart health, I have been for a few years, i'm not done here yet!
@ Steve - yes I did anger the clot gods!! Very angry indeed!
My words for anyone, in particular women, follow your instinct, if you feel like that is something wrong there probably is.. MAKE the Dr. listen. I was almost sent home by the ER DR. because he thought it was muscle pain, I again informed him my chest is numb still from last years surgery, at which point he decided to do an echo and admit me. :) You have to be your own advocate....
Thank you all again for the encouragement - I was starting to feel a little down yesterday. I will update you all after I start rehab.

"You have to be your own advocate...."

Yes, you do, especially us women. Especially younger women.
Bless you and your heart.

WOW Jen!!!!!

So very very sorry to hear that you experienced this! You are so healthy, young and active, truly this was very bad luck!!!!

Thanks for posting and thanks for putting the word out there for women, and really for everyone to be our own advocates, we shouldn't have to - but reality is we really have to fight for ourselves!

I hope you recover soon, I'll be thinking of you!

Rachel

HUGS! Keep your head up! and make an offering to the Clot Gods!!! I think they need to be appeased!

Don't get drawn down, and thank you so much for sharing.

so sorry to hear this happened to you, but thank God that you had someone with you and received quick treatment. I have wondered myself about my artificial valves. Have had problems for a while now and my last echo showed regurgitation in the aortic valve but the nurse at my cardiologist office held off for a week before sending the results on to another doctor per my cardiologist request for his opinion and it has now been over 2 weeks and they wont get back to me!
Hope you continue to heal and keep us posted!
God Bless

Hi everyone, so sorry it has taken me a bit to update you all. I saw my DR. Monday to release me, and he had a good look at my films and said it was a dissection in the LAD.. I am relieved that it was not from my valve, but at this point I don't know which is the worse of the 2. I start rehab Monday, so I hope things will improve over the short run enough to get back on my bike, we'll see!! Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers!

Latest posts

Back