Welp...I'm new and me too.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 45 and had the porcine valve, I guess for me because I didn't have a choice it was easier. My doctor recommended only a tissue valve in the tricuspid
position. I think I would have went with the tissue anyways because I ride motorcycles and do alot of stuff around the house. Although others here on coumidin are active as well.

Hi there Rodger and Welcome to the family. I was 45 when I was given a mechanical.
Oh yea, I had issues/problems with Coumadin in the beginning - but everyone hear helped me out with my woes.
What ever you decide, you'll do just fine

Is anyone using a home monitoring kit for Coumadin testing? I understand it can be expensive but I also understand control is the key to staying healthy.

Many people here do home coumadin monitoring.
There are two fabulous forums on this site regarding Anti-Coagulation in general ( http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=5 ) and another dealing with Home Anti-Coagulation Monitoring. Here's a link to that section of these forums.

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=14

Definitely read through those sections. Fabulous Information. So extremely helpful.
Insurance covers the testing kit and supplies in many cases. Sometimes it's a struggle getting approval but folks here have helped others get their doctors and insurance companies to allow it. There is nothing like the experience of others from which to learn. They've 'been there and done it'.

Is anyone using a home monitoring kit for Coumadin testing? I understand it can be expensive but I also understand control is the key to staying healthy.

Several of our members are Home Testing. See the Home Monitoring Forum (or whatever it is called) for LOTS of information. QAS sells monitors and can help you with getting approval from your Insurance Company. You will need an Rx from a Doctor (PCP, Cardiologist, or Surgeon...any will do) and a Letter of Medical Necessity outlining your need (mechanical heart valve, lifetine requirement for anticoagulation, etc.)

You may want to start a new thread in the Home Monitoring Forum to get better exposure to Home Testers.

'AL Capshaw'

I meant to ask you also, do you know why the surgeon didn't like the Ross procedure for you? Take care :) .

Hi Susan,

He really didn't elaborate much other than long term success has not been good.

I'll see if I can find out more and report back the first chance I get after my procedure next week.

Hi Roger. I can appreciate your concerns about Coumadin/Warfrin. I've been on Coumadin since 1981; I have a mechanical valve (Starr). Yes, it's a nuisance but necessary in my case. I have not had any problems that I can relate to taking the drug. One thing you might keep in mind when you make your decision, is that some doctors are prescribing Coumadin/Warfrin for other heart related problems. In other words, it might not make any difference. Check with your Cardiologist.

-Don

Hi Roger. I can appreciate your concerns about Coumadin/Warfrin. I've been on Coumadin since 1981; I have a mechanical valve (Starr). Yes, it's a nuisance but necessary in my case. I have not had any problems that I can relate to taking the drug. One thing you might keep in mind when you make your decision, is that some doctors are prescribing Coumadin/Warfrin for other heart related problems. In other words, it might not make any difference. Check with your Cardiologist.

-Don

Thanks Don!

Yeah when I was considering my choices I'd read where many of the tissue recipients are on Coumadin anyway. Other than a possible noise issue, the bionic valve seems like a logical choice.

Welcome

Welcome

I know you're facing a tough choice that you hope to live with for some time. I had AVR on July 21 and initially thought about a mechanical valve. My surgeon didn't try to influence me but I believe he had more experience with tissue valves.

He told me three things that changed my mind about mechanical vs tissue: 1) the new treated bovine valves look like they may last 20 years based on trials with sheep; 2) even though coumadin (warfarin) is something you can live with and doesn't seem to restrict activity, it is still something that you need to take and monitor for the rest of your life; and 3) the chair of the Department of Thoracic Surgery at Harvard recently had an AVR done (at the Cleveland Clinic- you know they are good!) and chose a bovine valve. He is, I believe, a bit younger than me (I'm 58).

So if it was good enough for him I thought it would be good enough for me:D My thinking is best case I get 20 years and then replacement is done robotically through an artery (for all patients not just high risk).

Unfortunately for me, I developed an atrial fibrillation (which is quite common after OHS) then went out then went back in and then went out again. I'm pretty sure my heartbeat is regular now but I was put on warfarin and amiodarone :(. My last visit to the surgeon showed no a fib and I return in early September. If I don't have it then, I will be taken off both meds. But what I didn't know pre-surgery was that a tissue valve doesn't necessarily guarantee no anti-coag therapy. My experience hasn't necessarily been bad but my numbers are still not regulated so I have to go to the lab at least once a week for monitoring. And there's no guarantee that I will ever get off of it.

Having written all that, I agree with GeeBee - the only bad choice is no choice so make yours and don't look back. Either way you're a winner!

Though I personally have not had a valve replacement--just a emergency repair, one of my close rock hound buddies had a tissue (don't know if porcine or bovine) aortic valve for 39 1/2 years (from 1967 to 2006, age 19 to 58), and even at the end he was still capable of lots of physical activity--he just looked a bit gray. Now he has a mechanical valve--I haven't asked him which type, but he's doing well at age 60 and looks a lot pinker.

Chris

Though I personally have not had a valve replacement--just a emergency repair, one of my close rock hound buddies had a tissue (don't know if porcine or bovine) aortic valve for 39 1/2 years (from 1967 to 2006, age 19 to 58), and even at the end he was still capable of lots of physical activity--he just looked a bit gray. Now he has a mechanical valve--I haven't asked him which type, but he's doing well at age 60 and looks a lot pinker...
Thanks Chris. I enjoy reading experiences of long-enduring tissue valves like this :) .

Well...I made it...barely...coded twice! It was a very difficult surgery finally pegged to a life threating reaction to one (or more) of the antibiotics used. I was in intensive care for a week then step down for a week. It was tough getting my INR balanced due to my liver shutting down from the antibiotic poison. I'm not sure I could take a second procedure considering...

OK, that said...I'm alive and getting stronger every day. My vision hasn't completely returned to normal but it's early yet. I can't hear the ON-X (except with a scope) and it's actually much quieter than the old murmur was. I had a congenital heart defect with a poor example of a bi-leaflet aortic valve.

This was the worst necessary thing I've ever been involved with but I'm here and I plan to stay that way for many more years to come....Lord willing!

Sorry to hear you a had a bad time, glad you are getting over the bumps. Wishing that your recovery continues to go well, best wishes. Take care.

Though I personally have not had a valve replacement--just a emergency repair, one of my close rock hound buddies had a tissue (don't know if porcine or bovine) aortic valve for 39 1/2 years (from 1967 to 2006, age 19 to 58), and even at the end he was still capable of lots of physical activity--he just looked a bit gray. Now he has a mechanical valve--I haven't asked him which type, but he's doing well at age 60 and looks a lot pinker.

Chris

It would be interesting and helpful to know exactly what kind of "tissue valve" your friend had that lasted almost 40 years.

MY GUESS is it was a Homograft, taken from a Human Cadaver.

I can't imagine an untreated unmodified 'straight from the Pig' Porcine Valve would last 40 years and I don't believe that the Bovine Pericardial Valves were around in 1967 (anybody know when they were introduced?).

Glad to see you post, Frank and wishing you an easy recovery going forward. Try to post in the post surgery thread now- you earned the right!

Latest posts

Back