Welp...I'm new and me too.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Frank

Hello fellow travelers!

Headed for a replacement aortic valve on August 8th and I have 'til Thursday to select a valve. The surgeon doesn't care other then no Ross procedure. I'd pretty much decided on the ON-X but the freedom a tissue valve offers has me rethinking the issue. I'm not too excited about Coumadin and the possibility of noise has me concerned.

I'm 55, in good health other then chronic migraines.

Please...any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Roger

P.S. The doctor said I'm too young to feel this old, I've been pretty much asymptomatic. (or so I thought) Did anyone experience more energy after their procedure?

Welcome, Roger. I'm assuming you meant surgery is on August 18th as the 8th has gone by- if so let us know and we will add you to the calendar. I'm sure many will be along to help with your questions as the day progresses.

Roger?.welcome to the zoo!!... I?m sure you will do fine ?. Coumadin is no big deal and if you are talking about the valve noise?..I don?t hear mine now?..

Roger,

I'm 53, got a new tissue valve in March and I feel a million times better physically than I did pre-surgery. I too thought I was asymptomatic, but since the surgery I have experienced a surge in energy. I'm sure you will too.

Good luck with your decisions,
John

Welcome! The On-X is a very promising valve and one I'd seriously consider if needing a replacement again. Be sure and read all the stickies in the Anticoagulation Forum so you will begin to know if you are dealing with people that still view Coumadin and it's management with 20th century knowledge and not 21st Century practice. http://valvereplacement.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I'd start now letting your doctor know you want to home test your INR. It will be the best, most hassle-free way of living your life on Coumadin.

Best wishes!

Welcome Roger,

At 55 you are in kind of a 'gray area' where a good argument can be made for either a long term Tissue Valve (such as the Bovine Pericardial or maybe one of the improved Porcine Valves) or a Mechanical.

If you've read my posts, you know that I believe in the technological advancements offered by the On-X Valves.

I have a St. Jude Master's series valve in the Aortic position for many years now. I rarely hear it unless my heart is beating really hard of I take in a deep breath and hold it. It is a soft sound that I find reassuring. Sometimes I like to deliberately listen to it. Like I said, it's 'reassuring'.

Living with / on Coumadin on a day to day basis is NO BIG DEAL. You need to understand anti-coagulation management and especially Bridging with Lovenox or Heparin if you require 'invasive procedures' (since some nurses and even Doctors do NOT have a good understanding of the latest improved procedures). Most Dental procedures and minor surgeries can be performed while anti-coagulated.

Browse around the Forums to see how others have fared Post Surgery (many report feeling WAY BETTER after their recoveries). Also note that OHS is a highly refined art with very low rates of morbidity or mortality, especially for first time surgeries under age 60.

Let us know if you have other questions or concerns.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Roger!
I was 53 when I had a bovine aortic valve implanted. I was comfortable with the near certainity that I would have at least one more surgery before my life is over. Three years out, and I have no regrets.
Having said that, the On-x seems to be a great valve, and I understand why it would be your valve of choice. The choice is yours to make, and the best thing is, there are no bad choices other than choosing to do nothing. :)

Welcome Roger..stick around, ask your questions and read what others have experienced. I agree with most of the folks on coumadin/warfarin that it really is not a big deal. Valve noise, if any, shouldn't be a problem after a short time in recovery. I have not heard mine for years..and years.

Here's hoping you have an uneventful surgery and easy recovery.

ps: my wife is looking over my shoulder and she says she hasn't heard it since just a few months after surgery. She said I sounder like a "clock" right after the surgery.:D:p:D

Thanks for everyones help...I really appreciate it!

...and yes it is the 18th not the 8th...duh! I'll just blame it on lack of proper oxygenated blood to my noodle... :)

Just wait till the "PUMP HEAD" hits.

Just wait till the "PUMP HEAD" hits.

Welcome, This is the place to ask and receive answers to your questions. I am 10 yrs behind you and went with the ON-X valve. The low INR was a selling point and my surgeon recommended ON-X because of it. I DO NOT want another surgery although I met another member in my area that is my age and went BOVINE. It is just a matter of what you think you can handle. I have only been on Coumadin for a short time but notice no adverse changes in my life. I even shave with a real razor. My face AND my head. Have cut myself a few times and wonder of wonders, I DIDN'T BLEED OUT! (sarcasm intended) There are PLENTY of members that have YEARS of experience with Coumadin. Im Sure they will chime in too.
Ask questions and more questions, look at EVERY web site you can find, learn lots. Good Luck and Keep us informed.

I will not comment on choices as only no choice is the wrong one. However, I will mention that I have been on coumadin for almost 28 years (half my life) and it has not been any issue at all. Bridging for surgical procedures can be a bit of an annoyance but it is only an annoyance. I have had bridging 5 times in 28 years without any complications.

Best of luck to you and welcome.

Hi Roger - Welcome to the site; glad you found it.

You mentioned symptoms? I was so run down before the surgery that I had just concluded that I wasn't aging very well for being 42, even though I always knew I had the bad valve that would need replaced "someday."
I just didn't recognize the symptoms. Post-op was about 180 degrees for me. I hope it will be so for you too.
Best wishes :) .

Hi Roger and welcome to this site. I haven't had surgery yet, so i can give you no advice. I just wanted to extend my best wishes for your surgery and a smooth recovery. I'm sure you will do just fine!

Welcome to VR, Roger. Glad you found us. I can't provide any personal experience with valve choice, as I was lucky enough to have a repair, other than to say there's no absolutely right choice other than the one you are comfortable with. Any replacement valve is better than no replacement valve if replacement is necessary.

That said, I am encouraged by the experiences I've heard from many members of this forum about life on Coumadin. I'm 54 and if by chance my repair doesn't hold, I think I'd personally lean towards mechanical mainly because it would be my second OHS and the thought of potentially a third down the road doesn't appeal to me. I am prone to keloids (thick scaring) so I want to avoid further surgery if possible. Of the mechanicals, the On-X is what I would explore first as it sounds very promising, although at the end of the day I would rely on my surgeon (Dr. Tirone David) to make his recommendation. That's just my own preference base on my circumstances and it doesn't mean tissue isn't a good choice for you. Whatever you decide, it's your choice as you have to be comfortable with it. Do your homework and weigh the pros and cons of each option. Whatever you decide, it'll be a good choice, so don't look back once you've made it. Best wishes and good luck with your selection and your surgery.

Hi Roger and welcome to the site!

You asked
Did anyone experience more energy after their procedure?

Yes, without a doubt my energy level increasd dramatically :):):). Before my surgery, I would get short of breath by standing in one spot for longer than a couple of minutes, walking up hills, and cutting the grass, but no more.

I am on Coumadin but life is great anyway!

Karl

Welcome Roger! Hopefully your headaches will decrease post OHS, though for me the migraine auras have increased. As to valve choice, I'd encourage you to check out the ATS valve as well. It would require warfarin, but sounds very promising. All the best, Brian

Thanks again for everyones input and support! If things go well I'll be back in touch after the procedure...

...if not I'll still be in touch, but you probably wont be able to hear me! :)

Latest posts

Back