Weight Loss After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

I'm wondering how many out there experienced weight loss after surgery. I am almost six weeks post-op and I've lost 18 lbs. since surgery. I have never been overweight. I weighed 162 lbs prior to surgery and now 144 lbs. It seems like most of the loss is coming from muscle mass loss. I know most of it is probably because of low appetite. How long did it take for you to regain your weight?

Before surgery, I weighed 145. After my surgery I lost 10 lbs. I am now 16 months post op and I weigh 160. :mad:

My mouth is a non stop eating machine so my weight keeps going up so right now I'm part of the Throwdown club now. :D

Hi,

I am about 8 weeks post-op. I weighed 161 prior to surgery, and now I weigh 139. My body did consume every bit of protein that it could to survive and mend. My doctor has said to be sure that I have a high protein diet as I recover. I am even considering taking some of those protein drinks.

Rob

Weight Loss

Weight Loss

Weight loss after OHS seems to be pretty common. I lost a bunch. None of my clothes fit after surgery; everything was too big.

After my surgery, I did offer weight loss advice to a group of teachers who were trying to lose weight. Some how, none of them seemed to think OHS was an option they wanted to pursue to lose weight.

-Philip

In my case, I would love to lose some weight as a result of the surgery.
When asked about losing weight to get ready for the surgery, my surgeon and cardio both said don't worry about it. I think they were worrying I would crash diet, which is bad for your organs.

I've lost 10 lbs SLOWLY over the last 6 months, just because it is good for your heart and I needed to anyway. Can't hurt, right?

The cardiologist predicted I would probably lose about 40 lbs after surgery due to loss of appetite and then the added exercise I'll eventually be doing vs infrequent exercise I do today. I'm looking forward to that part. I'm going to do my best to keep it off post surgery.

I have heard of some folks that gained due to a more sedentary lifestyle during recovery and water retention.

Last edited:
What is wrong with me? I gained lots of weight the year or so before surgery and have gained about 6 pounds since and can't get it off no matter what I do. I only lost my appetite for a couple of weeks after surgery . . . now it's "better" than ever! I'll gladly trade with those of you who need to find some of that lost weight!

I'll add more on the men losing weight side... I lost more than 10 pounds in the first week alone, and I was lean with very little body fat to begin with. By end of week 2, I was down about 15 pounds and felt/looked way too thin. I was eating and trying to keep the weight on, but it just didn't want to stick, for whatever reason. In weeks 3 and 4 I started to turn it around. Now about 3 months out, I'm only a couple pounds under my starting point, and I've definitely lost muscle in my upper body.

Another man story. I lost 7kg (what is that about 15 pounds?) in the first 3 weeks. Gained it all back over the next year. I sincerely hope some of it is muscle from the cardio rehab and subsequent supervised training programme!

My surgery was at the end of July in 2009. I weighed 195 before surgery, a few weeks after surgery I weighed 184. The other day when I weighed myself at the gym I weighed 195. So it took just over a year to put the weight back on.

A loss for the women here.....even years later, my weight is down, I take Meto, and would need some weight please !!

I am more than happy to volunteer away a few...ahem...pounds. I am still trying to lose baby weight. Is not going to tell you that baby will be TWENTY tomorrow. :biggrin2:

Hmmmmmm, maybe Superbob is showing his feminine side. Hoped that weight loss would be a side benefit of surgery -- not so; as much of a struggle as ever. That's why SB has stuck with the Throwdown, fighting the never-ending battle against excess weight (and for truth, justice, and the American way)... :D:p

I was 155 prior to surgery which was mostly fluid retention. I am now at 131. I don't feel like I've lost muscle but I've lost the puffiness and also some fat due to eating healthier. On the low sodium diet its impossible to eat a decent meal out and since I eat at home more I'm eating less garbage.

I am experiencing quite a bit of weight loss right now myself, and I am 2 full weeks post-op. Now, I am bigger, was active, guy, I went in the hospital on Nov 8th, I was right at 300 and when I weighed for the home nurse yesterday, I was 278. They don't want me lose more then about 5lbs every few days. A LOT of my issues is that nothing tastes right, and it is difficult just to eat.

Latest posts

Back