Valve Replacement in India

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks

Thanks

Dear Madam,

Thanks for your support.
I am here in india searching for good hospitals and surgeons to perfoem my AVR and MVR. the forums really helping me a lot to get prepare for the surgery. Actually I am worried for my marriage which was planned in Dec-2010. I am worried what to do first : Marriage or Surgery?
What you think?

regards,
Sharad

Just thought I'd check in on you Sharad.......how are you doing?

Are you calmer with the knowlege that you will need OHS in the near future?
We're here to support you so don't be afraid to ask any more questions and/or concerns you might have.

Please continue to visit the forum & feel free to post away!

Take care! :)

I usually suggest that patients get the opinion of one or more Surgeons before deciding when to have surgery.

Generally, I suspect that Surgeons have a better 'feel' for the timing of surgery than other Doctors, including Cardiologists (who often like to 'wait for symptoms' or other 'triggers'.) Surgeons also typically like to FIX the problem *before* it progresses to the point of Permanent Damage to the Heart walls and muscles.

'AL Capshaw'

Absolutely! And I wish I saw a surgeon at least in 2006. He would definitely have operated on me with all the symptoms I mentioned to the cardiologist who kept asking me to return within six months!! So, I am not here to talk about myself but to encourage you to seek a surgeon's opinion!

It looks like there have been some great responses so far.

I just wanted to add that there can be issues with pregnancy while on coumadin/warfarin for a mechanical valve. However, there are definitely people here who know way more about this than me and could talk about their own experiences.

if you're up for a trip to chennai, i can get you some contact numbers for apollo.
you might want to chat with my cardio and surgeon.

you want experienced? he's done 6000 ohs, including over 1000 avr's.

It looks like there have been some great responses so far.

I just wanted to add that there can be issues with pregnancy while on coumadin/warfarin for a mechanical valve. However, there are definitely people here who know way more about this than me and could talk about their own experiences.

I don't think HE (Sharad) needs to worry about pregnancy issues, other than as being able to be a 'donor'. :)

I am worried what to do first : Marriage or Surgery?
What you think?

regards,
Sharad

This is really hard for me or anyone to say which you should do first because it depends largely on how urgent it is for you to have the surgery. That's why you need to find a good surgeon soon & pose this question to him/her.

Having the support of a loving spouse and/or significant other, can provide you with much needed comfort both mentally & physically speaking too. :)

I hope you find a fine surgeon/hospital soon & are able to arrive at a comfortable decision for yourself.

Sharad-

Ask the surgeon about the right time for your surgery. He is the one who will know when it is right and necessary. If he thinks that it is time right now, you will have a nice opportunity to recover before the "Big Day" in December, and all of the nasty medical stuff will be out of the way so you can enjoy your honeymoon and new bride.

By the way, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Surgery postponed

Surgery postponed

Hi!

Yesterday I visited my surgeon. He suggested me to wait for 6 at least months. My ECG report says surgery is needed right now, but 2D echo says we should wait. so My surgeon says we will wait for 6 months and then we will decide when to perform the replacement surgery.

Now I have to wait till December.

Sharad-

Ask the surgeon about the right time for your surgery. He is the one who will know when it is right and necessary. If he thinks that it is time right now, you will have a nice opportunity to recover before the "Big Day" in December, and all of the nasty medical stuff will be out of the way so you can enjoy your honeymoon and new bride.

By the way, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

He suggested me to wait for 6 at least months. My ECG report says surgery is needed right now, but 2D echo says we should wait.

was it a cardiologist or surgeon that you saw? usually, the cardio likes to
put things off, the surgeon likes to go asap.

if you're concerned about waiting, you can get a second or third opinion.
what is your doctor's background? how much valve replacement experience?

i don't know about ecg's indicating surgery now. maybe some other members
can provide info on this. was you echo a TTE (sensor on your chest) or a
TEE (snaked into your lung)? echo's aren't the greatest tool, the estimation
of valve area is just that, an estimation. it's only as good as the guy
running the equipment.

maybe you can give us some numbers? or a couple relevant quotes from
the report?

and when you select a valve, have a second choice ready. there are cases
where once the doctor got in, he found he was unable to use the valve
that was selected.

Dear SIr,

he is a surgeon and have good experience as per information I had from my friends. He has experiance of valve replacement over 15 years and also one of my friend's sister has replaced her mitral valve from the same surgeon.

I am also planning to visit another surgeon in 'pune city' for third opinion regarding this.

I have a question : If I carry out my valve replacement surgery at another place far from my home and suppose I face some problem after coming back to home, then can local doctors attend me without any problem? or will they require time to get understand my case?

I stay at Nashik, mumbai and pune both cities are 200kms far from My hometown. In Nashik I don't have good hospital on whom I can depend faithfully. Probably Mumbai is better option for me. there I have 4-5 options and also good surgeons available there.

Please comment your views.

Regards,
Sharad.

was it a cardiologist or surgeon that you saw? usually, the cardio likes to
put things off, the surgeon likes to go asap.

if you're concerned about waiting, you can get a second or third opinion.
what is your doctor's background? how much valve replacement experience?

i don't know about ecg's indicating surgery now. maybe some other members
can provide info on this. was you echo a TTE (sensor on your chest) or a
TEE (snaked into your lung)? echo's aren't the greatest tool, the estimation
of valve area is just that, an estimation. it's only as good as the guy
running the equipment.

maybe you can give us some numbers? or a couple relevant quotes from
the report?

and when you select a valve, have a second choice ready. there are cases
where once the doctor got in, he found he was unable to use the valve
that was selected.

Hi All,

My age is 34 yrs. I am also heart patient. Recently my echo give pressure gradient on Aoritic Valve around 85mmHg. My cardiologist advised me for aortic valve replacement.
I am based in delhi, India. I would like to know the good surgen in Delhi. What are all questions to be asked before surgery. And how much is the recovery time and I can go to my work.

I came to know that sharad is also looking for good surgen in India.
Sharad can you share your echo details with me ?

-Vishal Jain

Dear Vishal,

Welcome to the forum!.
Surely I will share my report tomorrow becoz right now I don't have it to me.
you can get the questions on the forum "Pre-surgery" and "Sticky" thread (1st in the list) on this site.

This a very good place to find any type of answers. I am really getting a lot of support form all the members.

In delhi you can definitely get a good surgeon.

you can ask for any query, I will try to get your answer.

Sharad.

Hi All,

My age is 34 yrs. I am also heart patient. Recently my echo give pressure gradient on Aoritic Valve around 85mmHg. My cardiologist advised me for aortic valve replacement.
I am based in delhi, India. I would like to know the good surgen in Delhi. What are all questions to be asked before surgery. And how much is the recovery time and I can go to my work.

I came to know that sharad is also looking for good surgen in India.
Sharad can you share your echo details with me ?

-Vishal Jain

Hi Sharad,

You should plan to stay in Mumbai for a few days after they discharge you from the hospital just in case. If that is too hard, then make sure you have a very comfortable ride home to Nashik. From what I remember the highway from Mumbai to Nashik is pretty good so there won't be too much motion from potholes and all that. You will need to hold a pillow to your chest and be comfortable in the back seat. Your surgeon will probably want to see you after 6 weeks when you'll have to drive back to Mumbai, and preferably stay overnite to avoid two long rides on the same day.

Many large health centers in India now have some form of guest houses. Recently a family I know took their little girl to Bangalore for transcatheter ASD repair and their stay was prolonged by some issues, but they apparently had a comfortable stay in the guest house of Dr. Shethi's hospital there.

Regarding the timing of the surgery, December is probably better climate wise. It's not so oppressively hot (it's over 40degreeC s now, right?), less chance of infection in the winter too. But like everyone said here getting a second opinion is a very good idea. Also, sharing the echo numbers here would be a good idea too.

Good luck!

Hi Sharad,

I dont find my doctor in the list :confused:

Anyway I have taken 2nd and 3rd openion and they also suggest the AVR (on urgent basis). They said these problems are normally by birth but seen in adult age. They also said medicine does not help to avoid these problem.

In your case also, Is there any option of taking medicine to avoid AVR surgery.

Can you share your echo report ?

Rgds
Vishal Jain

Hi Vishal,

You can find the list of surgeons on http://www.ctsnet.org

Yes, The problem is mechanical so medicine can't cure it. Replacement is the only option. Also talk to your surgeon about the selection of valve since this is a very critical decision to select a good valve.

Presently I am taking medicines as: Penicillin injection - once in 3 week and
tablet Dixin 5 days a week.

My partial echo report is attached here (due to file size limitation). If you want full then I can mail you on your ID. This is last year report and new one I will send you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Sharad,

Please send me your full report (latest) at my email-ID : Removed for members safety-Ross

I am also looking for valve selection. it seems On-x valve is the best choice these days as it has less noise, need less anticogulant medicine. Do you know about the cost of it in India ?

I will discuss this with my surgeon.

Rgds
Vishal Jain

Hi Vishal,

You can find the list of surgeons on http://www.ctsnet.org

Yes, The problem is mechanical so medicine can't cure it. Replacement is the only option. Also talk to your surgeon about the selection of valve since this is a very critical decision to select a good valve.

Presently I am taking medicines as: Penicillin injection - once in 3 week and
tablet Dixin 5 days a week.

My partial echo report is attached here (due to file size limitation). If you want full then I can mail you on your ID. This is last year report and new one I will send you tomorrow.

Cost of valve

Cost of valve

Dear Vishal,

I am still confused about On-X and St. Jude, so it is good to decide after discussion with surgeon and cardiologist.

Cost of a valve in India is from Rs. 65,000/- to 75,000/-

I am sending My last report to your ID.

Again if you have any query pl. ask.

Latest posts

Back