Update on Jim Kelly-Evans

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - I think I know what "recovering slowly" feels like. Mine was slower than some, too (9 days in hospital for valve). We still get where we're going, and I hope Dan continues progress and gets out of jail soon. As long as he stays on track, slow is fine progress.

Hi Tom,
Jim had a setback today, with fainting, and then a 2nd operation,
to drain the fluid around his heart. He had a blood clot, which is rare.
Hopefully he will improve after this second operation, but as you
can imagine it was the most painful day for him so far.

best, Dan

Oh blimey - please send best wishes to Jim and Dan from me. Remembering Jim's posts pre-surgery and his questions about whether or not to have surgery now or later and what type to have he must be feeling like extremely negative right now. I do hope things move in the right direction for him now.

Thank you for the update and so sorry to hear of this setback. I am sure this is quite upsetting for him. Although not something any of us want, I am glad it was caught while Jim was still in the hospital. It is no fun being sent home and then readmitted 24 hours later (which is what happened to me).
Please give Jim my very best wishes and hoping that there are no more setbacks for him. He is in my thoughts.

sorry about the setback but as others have said, it's a good thing the problem was discovered while still in the hospital. Sending good vibes and all best to Jim. Thanks to Dan for keeping us posted.

Best wishes continue and praying that this is the only bump in the road Jim has.

Thanks again Cooker for giving Dan that personal touch and keeping us up-dated.

It's me... 7 hour original surgery...on the vent for 17 hours after I woke up...valve, root, ascending replaced. Also two cabg. .tue was good then a downturn and tests until I passed out when they tried to move me Friday am. Another cath then back into the or late Friday for a second full sterenitomy that destroyed the beautiful plate sternal closures. the good news is I think I may give turned the corner on the...gotta make an effort WTH the spirometer...thanks everybody for your good wishes

Jim

skeptic49;n853266 said:
It's me... 7 hour original surgery...on the vent for 17 hours after I woke up...valve, root, ascending replaced. Also two cabg. .tue was good then a downturn and tests until I passed out when they tried to move me Friday am. Another cath then back into the or late Friday for a second full sterenitomy that destroyed the beautiful plate sternal closures. the good news is I think I may give turned the corner on the...gotta make an effort WTH the spirometer...thanks everybody for your good wishes

Jim

Jim, it's so good to hear from you, but why on earth did you go and get the " 2 for 1 Deal" ------ Now, quit scaring us and continue on your road to recovery. ((hugs))

Wow 17 hrs on the vent! All downhill from there chief. I don't even remember it, they said I was freaking out about it so much they yanked it before I was fully awake. My wife has always told me I'm difficult....

Passing along a txt from Jim .......

Still in icu,.tom...been rough..still four chest tubes two or three arterial lines they are trying to wean me off heart meds...feel passable little appetite...trying to keep my chin up..
Thanks for writing. Maybe we can chat layer...best Jim

Hi Jim - if you read this, pain meds take away your appetite. I hardly ate post surgery for three weeks (got dangerously underweight as I was already underweight prior to surgery) - there is just no appetite, it's not a case of nausea it's a case of simply no desire. I hope you start to feel better and more comfortable soon.

2 surgeries in 4 days is a lot for anybody to handle...But you are going to get through this ! Try to nibble on some foods, nothing will taste right, but it gets things moving along. ((hugs))

Day 8: I'm still in the ICU but got two of my four chest tubes out today...numbers are improved, off O2...so there is a flicker of light at the end of this long, dark tunnel. Working in getting my bowels to move again. Hope to get rid of the swan arterial neck line today also leaving just the neck IV. Thanks for the continued support!

Latest posts

Back