tthompson AVR Surgery (Bentall Proceedure) Oct. 6th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tthompson

Believe me, it is with great pleasure than I am creating this thread in the POST surgery forum.

I'm home and everything (so far) has gone really well. I'll post more tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support.

So happy to know that you are home & doing so well! Now just take it easy & don't try to rush things. You'll start regaining your strength all in due time.

Stay well! :)

I'm officially 2 weeks post surgery today!

Things seem to be going really well. I'm up to walking 12 minutes today (2 times/day) and my energy level is good. Some days I take a nap in the afternoon, and for the most part I'm sleeping well at night.

I still have pain in my upper body (both front and back) but I'm taking Tylonol and that seems to keep it in check. I'm a bit surprised how much upper back discomfort I have.

As of my last blood test (Friday) my INR is 2.9 and I go again tomorrow morning, so we are still working on the Coumadin/Warfarin dosage.

I've noticed that my heart beat has a much more crisp "thump" to it than before. Before it was a lot more of a "slush" sould. On occasion, if I listen for it, I can hear the tick of the valve. It doesn't bother me at all though.

Listen to Bina. During my third week, I decided to make stew. Nothing was all that heavy but the repetitive slicing and chopping of the vegetables was enough to leave my chest muscles sore for several days.

When I first got home, the thing that bothered me the most was pain under my left shoulder blade for which I took ibuprofen every night until it faded. I think most have probably experienced back pain to some extent.

I hope all continues to go well for you.

Today is one month.

I had my post-op meeting with the surgeon this past Friday. I had a chest X-ray and a cardiogram and he told me everything looked really good.

Pain-wise, I have some stiffness/discomfort in my shoulders and upper-back still, but nothing that isn't manageable with Tylonol. I could easily go back to work, but I'm not "officially" cleared to drive yet, so that makes it problematic. I'll put in another week and then make a decision.

While my heart isn't beating fast, it is certainly beating strong. I'm taking 7.5 mg/day of Bisoprolol to calm it down, from 2.5 mg/pre-surgery. The surgeon said it would take time for my heart to figure out that it doesn't need to work so hard from the pre-surgery days when half of the blood would regurgitate back into my heart. The surgeon doesn't figure I'll be on the Bisoprolol longer than a few months, and I have a follow-up meeting with the cardiologist in Feb. so hopefully he will take me off then. However, the surgeon did say that if the heartbeat was still really strong a month from now to call him.

I can sometimes hear the valve "click". I doesn't bother me. It reminds me that this all went really well. I actually think it is kinda cool. The surgeon reminded me that "if you don't hear the click, you have a problem"!

INR at last test was 2.3 and I'm taking 3.5 mg/day. So far, I can't see what the big fuss is about with taking Warfarin/Coumadin. Other than having to take a couple of pills everyday, it hasn't changed my living/eating/lifestlye at all. The Nursing Coordinator at the Ottawa Heart Institute came to see me while I was still in the hospital and we had a conversation about home testing (she approached me about it as apparently I'm an excellent candidate), so at some point fairly soon we will look into that.

Other than that, everything is pretty much back to normal. I'm eating as well as I was before, sleeping as well as I was before, etc. My scar is healing nicely and since I'm a pretty hairy guy, in a couple of weeks you probably won't even see it LOL.

I'm very, very, thankful that I didn't have any serious complications. It wasn't a pleasent experience by any means, but if I had do it again I could, and would not be devistated by the news.

Today is one month.

I had my post-op meeting with the surgeon this past Friday. I had a chest X-ray and a cardiogram and he told me everything looked really good.

Pain-wise, I have some stiffness/discomfort in my shoulders and upper-back still, but nothing that isn't manageable with Tylonol. I could easily go back to work, but I'm not "officially" cleared to drive yet, so that makes it problematic. I'll put in another week and then make a decision.

While my heart isn't beating fast, it is certainly beating strong. I'm taking 7.5 mg/day of Bisoprolol to calm it down, from 2.5 mg/pre-surgery. The surgeon said it would take time for my heart to figure out that it doesn't need to work so hard from the pre-surgery days when half of the blood would regurgitate back into my heart. The surgeon doesn't figure I'll be on the Bisoprolol longer than a few months, and I have a follow-up meeting with the cardiologist in Feb. so hopefully he will take me off then. However, the surgeon did say that if the heartbeat was still really strong a month from now to call him.

I can sometimes hear the valve "click". I doesn't bother me. It reminds me that this all went really well. I actually think it is kinda cool. The surgeon reminded me that "if you don't hear the click, you have a problem"!

INR at last test was 2.3 and I'm taking 3.5 mg/day. So far, I can't see what the big fuss is about with taking Warfarin/Coumadin. Other than having to take a couple of pills everyday, it hasn't changed my living/eating/lifestlye at all. The Nursing Coordinator at the Ottawa Heart Institute came to see me while I was still in the hospital and we had a conversation about home testing (she approached me about it as apparently I'm an excellent candidate), so at some point fairly soon we will look into that.

Other than that, everything is pretty much back to normal. I'm eating as well as I was before, sleeping as well as I was before, etc. My scar is healing nicely and since I'm a pretty hairy guy, in a couple of weeks you probably won't even see it LOL.

I'm very, very, thankful that I didn't have any serious complications. It wasn't a pleasent experience by any means, but if I had do it again I could, and would not be devistated by the news.

Great news!

Yes, as said by others, do not rush things ... you shall be fine and we look forward to hearing good news again from you soon. :)

Latest posts

Back