Training on Heartrate during first weeks after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbyha

Hi all,

Monday 29 nov 2010 it's showtime (BAVR)
I'm getting an mechanical valve
(I hope that an 33mm does match)
Still asymptomatic last year, cycling about 5000 km, but..... the Last echo shows progression of the AVA From 1,1cm2 to 0,6cm2 in 1 year!!!
I'm not nervous yet (i still have tomorrow and a day after tomorrow to relax)

After the hospitalperiod (cardiologist espect 5 days) i want to train on a cycling bike at home and taking care for my heartrate during 5 minute excercises, using
a Polar RS800CX (to registrate every heartbeat)

What's the maximum heartrate (% of the max.HR); just during the first weeks after the AVR:
week 1-2 [ ]
week 3-4 [ ]
week 5-6 [ ]

(personal data: HFmax 175, HFrest 45, HFsit 65)

I was advised for the first few weeks to go with RHR (that morning) + 30 beats as a ceiling. It did not take much to get it up that high but as time passed, I started improving quite a bit.

I think my Cardiologist said 120 and as Bean Counter said it doesn't take much to get it up there. I did wear a heart rate monitor, even around the house the first couple of weeks. The surgery is really going to knock the wind out of your sails. My resting heart rate was high the whole time I was in the hospital. I got a couple of massages in the first week out of the hospital and that helped knock it down. You're going to have a lot of pollutants in your system (e.g., the IV fluid, medications, etc), plus you won't have worked out for a while, so the lactic acid and other junk is in your system and you won't be able to exercise on your own to get rid of it. You've got to take it slow recovering. Don't push it. If you can get cardiac rehab I recommend you get it. If not, and you know what you're doing, make sure you monitor your heart rate and take it easy. You're not trying out for the Olympics and if you push too hard you can have a setback (or worse) that will be counterproductive. Better to err on the side of caution than push too hard and end up back in the hospital or the morgue.

Max HR following AVR

Max HR following AVR

Your cardiologist is the best resource for outlining a rehab program for you following AVR surgery. It seems that a large number of folks here report a recovery period of six to eight weeks following surgery before starting a rehab program. I was an exception to this as my cardiologist dropped me into a program at two weeks post-op.

How do you know your max heart rate is 175? Did you actually get that number from an accurate assessment or are you using the unproven, inaccurate formula: 220 minus your age?

Hopefully, you'll spend some time getting a professional consult with your cardiologist regarding how much recovery time you'll need, and setting heart rate limits and goals as you begin your rehab program. One of the nice things about consulting with your cardiologist is the fact that he/she undoubtedly has liability insurance... I doubt any of us carry that stuff.

-Philip

Robby - I had an AVR on 8th October and up until the valve started the downhill slide I was a reasonably competitive paddler, in the top half of the field and that included the guys. So I too was keen to start a bit of 'training' post-op but I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone with regards to how hard I could push the heart. Everything was aimed at the minimum you must do with no mention of max.

So I just did what felt right (I was told to use really low resistance on the stationary bike), and I quickly found that the heart wasn't the limiting factor - it was (and still is) my brain! I'm 7 weeks post-op and the highest I can get my HR now is about 130bpm, at that point my brain is yelling 'slow down or you will explode!'.

I saw my surgeon toward the end of week 6 and he said I could push my heart as hard as it would go. And I can tell you that being fit going in to surgery is so incredibly helpful so you will do well there! Best of luck!

-Ski Girl

Due to a few complications (heartpalpitations, low Hb, swelling nonfunctioned drain, HR rest 30 beats higher etc.) in the first two weeks after surgery i've to freeze my ideas for a quick rehab. Some trivial & pulm leakage after AVR.

Two weeks after AVR: Listening to my body (not my brain) i have to deal with a maximum HR of 100 beats per min. during 30 minutes on my indoor cycling bike (it feels comfortable)
Greater than HR 115 triggers heartpalpitations.

I did not see it said, but Cardiac Rehab is probably a good idea. They did not really know what to do with me, I they probably won't know what to do with you either. But I did find it useful to have them monitor me and give me feeback. I only went 5 times before heading to spin classes and riding outside. They most likely will want you to keep you HR slow for a while while you recover. I kept my hr (starting at 7 weeks post-op) below 150.

At 2 weeks aren't you exhausted after a 30 min workout?!?! I am impressed only becuase it sould more intense that saying I walked for 30 mintutes. I am not a nay sayer, usually, but I hope you have discussed this with your Cardio. I think it would be good to let your heart heal a little.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back