Time for operation is here, questions to ask in advance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks1490

Hi,

After 5 years in the "waiting room", I learned today that I have to move forward with the valve replacement surgery. Cardio estimates that I should have the surgery within the next 6 months to be on the safe side.

I have read some of the very useful preparation lists and posts in this section of the site, but as I prepare to meet some surgeons and generally start to get prepared, I was wondering if anyone who has been through the surgery had any suggestions for questions that they wish they had asked during their preparation, or if there are any issues that may have arisen since some of the lists on this site were written.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

The questions I would make sure to get the right answers to that I advise others to ask (in addition to all those listed in the 'preparation list') is mainly the surgeon's experience with the same type of surgery.

In addition, make sure to ask the surgeon:

1- who is going to do the job? Is he going to be the only one to work on your heart, or is he going to watch his helpers and supervise?

2- Who is going to open and close the chest? Residents with experience (if it is not him) or his nurse practitioners?!!

Do not settle for an easy vague answer such as: "people with experience"...you need to know exactly who!

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I think I would ask the surgeon how many of [whatever kind of valve he's going to implant] he's done and more questions along that line, such as success rates, longevity of the valve, possible complications and causes, etcetera. Maybe ask him what/which valve he would personally choose for himself or for a loved one and why. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery :) .

Oh, and don't forget to have your teeth checked. That's something I had to run around and take care of nearly at the last minute. The doctors want to know that your teeth are tight and in good shape before they do the surgery and put you on the vent and such. You'll need that in writing.

I tried to look at the video, but when they started cutting through the sternum skin and soft tissue I had this horrible sensation on my chest and my courage failed me to look any further. It is now 5 months post op, maybe one day I will have the nerve to look at what they actually did to me! KS the one thing I dreaded was the removal of the vent tubes and the drainage tubes. I read some horror stories on here. I made the surgeon promise that he would personally remove them, which he did with minimal discomfort to me, bless his heart! He even called my wife to be present as a witness. You may want to the same.

KS,

If you have another, pre-existing medical condition, MAKE SURE the doctor who treats it communicates with the surgical/hospital staff with specific instructions (orders?) for the care and treatment of the other condition.

I didn't think to do that, and didn't get my needed meds on schedule. Then, when I did get them, they apparently interacted with my post-op cardio meds. The whole mess made it harder to manage the pain, and to rest, which probably slowed down my healing by a couple days.

What's your age? Wife? Kids? Other close family?
You'll have to make decisions as to who will (should) be there. It's not simple because if you have out-of-town travelers, your wife or kids could end up as tour guides and baby sitter; thus a distraction.
Are your personal affairs in order? Up to date Will? Living Will?Does anyone but you know about your ongoing obligations?
Make sure the hospital, surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc are covered within any insurance you might have and that they pre-certify your treatment (pretty standard practice but good to make sure).
Keep an ongoing list of questions for your doctors and make notes of the answers because you WILL forget. Don't be afraid to ask any question that comes to mind. As previously stated, inquire further if you don't understand an answer or if your answer is non-responsive.
I wish you the best in your procedure - it will pass by quickly and you will soon look back and say "Hey, it wasn't so bad after all!"
Get up the courage to watch the video - it is amazing what they can do these days.

nice to see you again. I can't answer any questions, but it is a question that is very often asked. It brings up a subject the membership should address and that's a permanent list of questions to ask the doctors. (In a new thread,. so watch for it as I bet the members will react to it really quick)

I tried to look at the video, but when they started cutting through the sternum skin and soft tissue I had this horrible sensation on my chest and my courage failed me to look any further. It is now 5 months post op, maybe one day I will have the nerve to look at what they actually did to me! KS the one thing I dreaded was the removal of the vent tubes and the drainage tubes. I read some horror stories on here. I made the surgeon promise that he would personally remove them, which he did with minimal discomfort to me, bless his heart! He even called my wife to be present as a witness. You may want to the same.

I think it is good to ask the surgeon if THEY personally will be doing different things in the OR, especially things that involve the actual cutting or sewing, but I NOT sure it would be important to me, for the surgeon to remove the vent or the chest tubes. First off they probably don't have that much experience pulling the tubes as the people who do it daily,especially if they have been attenting surgeons for years and probably haven't pulled many tubes since they were Residents or fellows, BUT an even bigger consideration FOR ME, is IF you are ready to have the vent pulled and will only let the surgeon do it, you might have to keep on it HOURS longer than you need to be IF you are ready and the surgeon is in the OR with another patient or is home for the evening or weekend.

This last surgery I had a surgeons assistant remove my chest tubes, and she did a wonderful job, better than my previous 2 times with doctors doing it. And I had 4 to remove, not 3 or 2 as before. Luckily,I was already extubated when I awoke. Knowing that your surgeon does the stitching of the valve is important, also, if he stays in there for the whole surgery, even if a chief surgical resident is helping with much of it. Find out if a nurse will be updating your family about your surgery. Find out about how long total it will last before you are in ICU and can be visited by your spouse, etc. The nurse had said my surgery would last all day, but of course, my family had no idea it would be 12 hours!! They were very concerned, even though she came to talk to them every 2-3 hrs during the marathon.

ok people.. i thought i had alot of gumption to watch that video-i just have to say to those of you who have watched it you are better people than I..i got into minute 2 and had to turn it off. i think im gonna have bad dreams for weeks again thinking of what they did to my poor body! and im a tough cookie i thought! anyways, KS>>> I would suggest you ask whether the resident or attending fellow is ever allowed, with any patient with the particular sugeon, to assist in any way...and if so, what is customary for this Dr to allow. if you are at a teaching hospital then you have to assume they will do some of it but I do think you can ask specifics about them too.. ie, how many assists have they done, how many types of diff valves, whether they have ever worked on a paitent exactly like you... etc. the sticky note is a good list too you can start with and taylor to your situation. good luck! which hospital are you considering? i was in ny at columbia but have also been to nyhospital- cornell. meg

KS1490,
FYI I am having an aortic aneurism and AVR any NYhosp-cornell. I did a lot of research and Dr. Girardi is supposed to be one of the best in the country when it comes to aortas. I have been seeing him since last march and him and his staff have been great. I just scheduled my surgery for Feb 3.
Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.
Nick

Latest posts

Back