Thoughts on Rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartman77

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am at 5 weeks post surgery and am walking 2 1/2 miles a day. I cant use my upper body or arms much because I also received a pacemaker and have to wait 3 months for the leads to scar into my heart so that they will not pull out of place. I am wondering if I really still need to go to rehab since I am doing the walking faithfully and am not able to use my arms yet. Any thoughts?

If you are happy with your progress, keep at it. Still I would go meet with the rehab people and let them make an assessment. The cadiac rehab center I used was staffed by very knowledgeable staff. There may be mild exercises for you upper body that are appropriate - I don't know this at all, just saying. All I can say is that rehab was very, very good for me. I progressed much more rapidly than I would have otherwise. Even if it's just leg exercises for the time being, organized, monitored, tailored exercise can really be of benefit.

Bill

I did my rehab in part because I was pid 100% by insurance. It is a good way to determine your excersice threshhold in a safe monitered environment. If you go into vfib or something nasty they will zap you on the spot.

I say go for it if the funds allow it. BTW, if you are tollerating 2.5 miles you are doing very well.

good luck

wow heartman!! That's doing great with the walking!! My thought would be, go for the rehab, it cannot hurt and from what I'm hearing, it's still a great help! When my time comes, I'm definitely going for the rehab! Take care, glad you're doing well!

i'm doing the rehab to help ease my mind about getting back to "working out"

i was scared to work out after surgery in case something would happen to my heart. but rehab is great, they keep such a close eye on you the whole time and you are hooked up to a monitor. i would recommend it if your insurance will pay and you have the time!

Funny, my restrictions on my pacemaker leads was 1 month. Of course I was post MVR too, so I wasn't lifting any weight to speak of for 12 weeks.
Then, when we swapped the pacemaker for the ICD, my arm movement restriction was 4 weeks, even with the new lead, before I went back to agility.

But really, it hardly sounds like you need rehab, unless you want to do the rehab for your own peace of mind.
Post MVR, I did do the rehab, but I was pretty much as fragile as an eggshell and scared out of my wits, because I had been so sick and nearly died post op. It helped more mentally and emotionally than physically, just to have someone there when I started to exercise more. They were more focused on bypass patients, and hardly knew anything about valvers, though.

Mike, I was walking a lot also by 6 weeks when Rehab started. You are encouraged there to continue walking after you begin a rehab program but it does some other things for you. For one, you wear a monitor so the nurse physiologists who run these things can give you an excellent idea about your heart function at different activity levels. Without the monitoring, its less clear just what your exercise level should be. Rehab restrains somewhat the guys who try to do too much too soon and pushes those who are afraid they are fragile and will break if the exert themselves. It also gives you a group who has had a similar experience to your's which is kind of nice when you have questions about the little after shocks. The studies that have been done indicate people attending rehab recover more function more quickly and need fewer drugs than those who do not use a Rehab program. When you want, you can get printouts that indicate how your heart function has changed over time - something you can't do at home.

Larry
Larry

Mike, I was walking a lot also by 6 weeks when Rehab started. You are encouraged there to continue walking after you begin a rehab program but it does some other things for you. For one, you wear a monitor so the nurse physiologists who run these things can give you an excellent idea about your heart function at different activity levels. Without the monitoring, its less clear just what your exercise level should be. Rehab restrains somewhat the guys who try to do too much too soon and pushes those who are afraid they are fragile and will break if the exert themselves. It also gives you a group who has had a similar experience to your's which is kind of nice when you have questions about the little after shocks. The studies that have been done indicate people attending rehab recover more function more quickly and need fewer drugs than those who do not use a Rehab program. When you want, you can get printouts that indicate how your heart function has changed over time - something you can't do at home.

Larry
Larry

Larry, That does sound very appealing, safe and some fun, wish we had such a programme up here, bus alas but the only one I know of would be a long difficult drive to the city of 90+ minutes.

Just made an inquiry and think I'll join a gym close by, with some personal training/coach for initial sessions...this seems to be my best plan B alternative

life is full of compromise

Gil

I am currently in rehab after an aortic valve replacement...and I too have a pacemaker since my didn't "wake up" either. I would recommend going to rehab as long as your insurance will pay for it. (Just the second day after rehab I felt much better!) I've just finished a month and wished I had started it sooner...I didn't start it until two months after my surgery. You can walk on your own, but I like the support from all the staff....plus you are only five weeks out of surgery. Good luck with everything!

One more thing; I think rehab is great for someone who needs an understanding of things in addition to physical tolerance. A good program will offer classes on nutrition, drugs, stress, and a host of other topics.

In praise of Rehab

In praise of Rehab

I started Rehab at about 8 weeks and and found it a great experience. I gained a lot of confidence in what I could and could not do as well as meeting people with similar experience. They were a wealth of knowledge and their leader, Liz, is always there to help with any problems or concerns I have despite me finishing the programme. She also has access to my medical records and acts as a go between to the higher eschelons of the heath service. I have had help with my exercise regime and am now able to set my own targets. I do plan go go back again in the colder weather as they have excellent exercise machines should I want them. :)
In your place I would give it a try and see what is available, there is more to rehabilitation than just getting fit.
I had an AVR which left my arms extremely weak and wimpy, do not try to go too fast. You are doing very well to walk as far as you do I could claim a similar figure at around 8 weeks in my case.
I now know what I can do and what I should not do, rehab will help you and set you new targets as well as giving you information on aspects of healthy eating, types of medication etc. Go for it.

Latest posts

Back