There Was a Fire Behind Our House

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAJ

This past Friday morning, there was a fire in the woods behind our house. About 6:00 A.M, a next door neighbor rang our doorbell and told us there was a fire behind our house. The kids were off from school that day so we were getting ready to leave for a previously delayed trip to Disney World.

I went outside in our backyard and found her brother in-law soaking the back of our 4 ½ ft. wooden fence and part of his backyard. The fire was discovered after their dog barked to go outside. No telling how bad the fire would have gotten if it had gone undetected. The county brought in two fire trucks, one of which was completely blocking our driveway. However, that was an extremely small price to pay to keep our house. The fire burned about 1/2 acre of woods and took at least 30 minutes to put out. The fire department left about 8:00 A.M. We then left for our trip.

Our neighbor told us the fire department returned about an hour later and stayed until about 2:00 P.M. They went through the area again and thoroughly soaked it down. Before we left, one of the firemen told me that my neighbor probably kept our fence from catching fire by soaking it down and the area around it. He also told me that if wind had been blowing, things could have really been bad. I was then told by another fireman that they have put out several of these fires in the past few weeks.

After we returned home earlier this afternoon, my wife and I walked through the burned area. The fire got as close as about 15 to 20 yards from our fence. That may not seem close but it was too close for us.

The cause of the fire is up for speculation. Friday I was told by our kids that in the past, they have seen signs of a camp fire. I knew that some kids in the area built forts in the woods but I never had problem with it so I did not bother them. There is also a possibility it caused by careless relative of a neighbor flicking a cigarette butt but nothing can be proved. (The neighbor made this speculation). Lighting has been ruled out as cause because of no storms in the area for more than a couple of weeks.

Because the woods are actually a preservation area in the middle of three different neighborhoods, we cannot cut down any trees. However, I have been told I can rake up brush and pick up dead wood. Within the next two or three weeks, I will be cleaning up about 15 feet behind our fence. We have lived in our house for almost 11 years, and this is the first time this has happened. We are all very thankful the situation was not worse.

Karl

Thank goodness you are safe. That dog certainly deserves a treat!!!

We have a "greenspace" behind us and are always very cognizant in dry weather (and our summer's and fall can actually get very dry!!) of who and what is going on back there. A public walkway runs through it.

Quite a bit of excitement for you!!

Marguerite

We have had two forest fires get too close for comfort. Here is an interesting point, however- the fire that scares you but does not "get you" can be your best friend. It sounds like there may be a lot less "fuel" behind your house in the event of another fire.

Sort of makes you want your very own fire hydrant on your property. We used to have brush fires behind this house every year. Intentionally set by kids. Now there is a housing allotment where all the brush was, so it's not a concern anymore.

Karl, glad you are all safe and house was spared. Our house fire was 11/22/08 and we are still living in an apartment. We were suppose to get back in this weekend but now they are saying 2 more weeks. I am so ready to go home.

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe. I know what you mean about fire. Last year we had to fires that came down to just accross the freeway from our house. Evacuations were recommended. I had all our important papers and pictures by the door. Is it possible that a homeless person might be staying the night out in the back woods area? In any case, definately clear a large area out, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Take Care...

Is it possible that a homeless person might be staying the night out in the back woods area?

No, I don't think so. Too many kids play in those woods, and it situated between three subdivsions. I did not see any signs of homeless activity when I walked through the area. There are plenty of wooded areas outside of this one where a homeless person could go undetected.

We were suppose to get back in this weekend but now they are saying 2 more weeks. I am so ready to go home.

I know that must be really hard and frustrating. I am sure you probably feel you have not been able to relax and feel like you can let your hair down knowing the apartment is not you real home.

Without question, it is time to get rid of some of the potential fuel. My best guess is that I will go through at least 10 to 15 yard bags when I clean up the area.

Karl

Latest posts

Back