The Good News Post op Thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offwego

I'm due in on the 21st of October for my 2nd MV surgery at NYU in NYC..It will probably be a replacement as the first repair via minimally invasive approach didn't work very long (few years).

Anyway...I just posted in another thread how I wish there was a 'good news only' section here and decided to make a Good News Thread.

I hope those who have had good results in valve replacements and repairs post how they feel post surgery...it can be a few days, weeks, months or years, it's all good reading for those of use who can basically just use some good news.

I've been pretty much inside and home and going a bit nuts the last 3=4 weeks...I don't have many symptoms other than energy levels that are too low for me..I'm 54 years old in good shape, don't drink or smoke and my weight is 175 5' 11"..But I get knocked out walking up stairs or even going out is not comfortable right now.

The results of my echo were pretty good other than severe leaking in MV...EF is 50%...the rest of my heart seems pretty good.

I did have this surgery before but it was 8 years ago and there were other things going on and I don't remember how quickly i started to feel better and how long it took before i was going out and not thinking so much about the surgery..

Anyway,,,any stories of good recovery (they don't have to be perfect of course) but anything good would be nice to read during the next few days before surgery!

Thanks for reading.

I dont have good news. well the fact Justin hadso many surgeris and is doing well is always good news. but wanted to say when I read this part

"I did have this surgery before but it was 8 years ago and there were other things going on and I don't remember how quickly i started to feel better and how long it took before i was going out and not thinking so much about the surgery.."

I wanted to suggest again how good it is to start some kind of care page like caringbridge.org or carepages. Not only is it the esiest way to make sure everyone can get updates while you are in the hospital and the few weeks post op, and it is so nice to read the all the thoughts and prayers in the guestbook when you can't sleep, but one of the best things IMO that you dont even realize at the time is it is great to have a record you can go back and reread, either to remind yourself or even if you have to answer qustions about what happened when and alll the details that at the time you swear you never will forget 1 second of, but really can become one big blurr even a year later.

We started Justin's page in 2003 (wow I can't beieve it is that old) and even tho i'm a slacker about updates hen life is good, its so great to be able to look things up in the history compared to the surgeris and illnesses, like the BE, he had and we went thru before things like the free sites (or even computers lol) wre around.

Hi Lyn

I guess i wanted to forget my experience to be honest. The guestbook sound great and it's nice to read but I am intensely private and would never want to share my details of surgery and recovery with my friends or family in this way...It's too personal and emotional and would hold me back from sharing all my thoughts. It's easier to share with people who have gone through it, going through it or have someone close to them experiencing it.

I have all good news. :)

Seriously. My second OHS was a total success in that I got the valve I wanted, I woke easily from surgery and knew for sure I was going to be well and all had gone well. My body told me so immediately........ isn't that strange? Or is it the power of positive thinking?

I had a bump free recovery, I feel fine now and am doing well three and a half years post op. I have gotten older since I began all my heart adventures 8 years ago so I certainly expect my body will feel older as it would regardless of heart issues and two visits to a heart/lung machine.

Today is a gorgeous sunny day in Boston area, trees are turning pretty colors, there's a bit of wind and DH and I took a long walk. It was glorious. Chatted with some neighbors, saw some of our favorite dogs along our usual walking route and will now settle down to watch Quarterback Tom Terrific lead the New England Patriots to victory ( I hope....).

It's all good news. I am walking, talking, I know what day of the week it is and had I not had that surgery, I fully expect I would be dead by now.

Offwego - Your idea is a great one. I had a similar idea a while back, but never got around to it. My plan was to start a thread where everyone could post the unexpected good things that came out of surgery. I actually could come up with quite a long list. It's very easy to consider the bad possibilities prior to surgery, but just not as natural to consider the good possibilities. I posted some similar comments recently about some of my pleasant surprises. I didn't consider that my young daughter would be better off for it, but she is. I didn't consider that my family as a whole would have significantly more valuable time together, but we have. I didn't consider that I'd be happier, but I am. Right now, I am symptom free, in otherwise perfect health. I've got an upgrade too, a better valve. Life is not only good, but better.

So, hope that helps a little. I didn't join here until I was about 9 months post op, so I never really posted my good recovery news. But I did recently post how my 1 year valve "birthday" was actually the celebration of the best year of my life. It's very very long, but definitely a good news story, so if you have the patience, you'll find it here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?38916-The-Best-Year-of-my-Life

Best wishes to you and I will look forward to hearing good news from you too in the weeks to come.

I have all good news. :)

Seriously. My second OHS was a total success in that I got the valve I wanted, I woke easily from surgery and knew for sure I was going to be well and all had gone well. My body told me so immediately........ isn't that strange? Or is it the power of positive thinking?

I had a bump free recovery, I feel fine now and am doing well three and a half years post op. I have gotten older since I began all my heart adventures 8 years ago so I certainly expect my body will feel older as it would regardless of heart issues and two visits to a heart/lung machine.

Today is a gorgeous sunny day in Boston area, trees are turning pretty colors, there's a bit of wind and DH and I took a long walk. It was glorious. Chatted with some neighbors, saw some of our favorite dogs along our usual walking route and will now settle down to watch Quarterback Tom Terrific lead the New England Patriots to victory ( I hope....).

It's all good news. I am walking, talking, I know what day of the week it is and had I not had that surgery, I fully expect I would be dead by now.

Great posts! Just what I need to be reading...ElectLive, I'll read your link later..great stuff!

My last surgery went well but as I've posted, I was conscious during the surgery (yes)...then had psychotic reaction to the morphine and checked myself out of the hospital I think 3 days after the surgery...The mental trauma was the worst and I was so disoriented from the morphine reaction, I was hallucinating seeing Disney cartoon characters dashing around the house! BUT the surgery did go pretty well and I don't really remember clearly how much better I felt cause of all the drama!

I am so much more ready for this surgery..I am comfortable with the doctors and hospital and am going for pre admissions testing tomorrow...and I CAN see waking up and just knowing I am better.

One positive memory I do have from my last surgery was being in the bathroom and seeing my reflection in the mirror with the scar on my chest and thinking, "YES, IT"S DONE!".

Unfortunately it didn't hold up...I sorta am not surprised...I don't know how I knew it but somehow I just knew early on.

I do have a good feeling about this surgery..

I love reading about the weird and quirky things that improved after surgery..I think I've been somewhat depressed for the last few months not even knowing about my condition...I just haven't felt right and wrote it off to age or colds or whatever..But I am very youthful in appearance and interests..It just never made sense till I went to the doctor only 2 weeks ago and found out...it's time.

Keep the good news flowing..

Thanks again for sharing!

Dear Offwego, I am 62 years old with three(3) hip replacements and ankylosing spondylitis. I knew for 15 years the day would come when I'd have to have this surgery (AVR). I had had Hodgkins Disease when I was 20 and they didn't know at the time that radiation could ruin valves. The time came. The (very competent and well-known) surgeon I got by happenstance not only knew about the radiation but had been head of heart and lung transplants there. He also-moving down here from Palo Alto several years ago-had bought the house (in Pasadena) I was born and grew up in as a little kid.
I can't believe it's over, the waiting. Now, I'm free! I used to care so much about things that didn't matter. No one but people on this site (heart people I mean) understand what it means to BE HERE. Perhaps it's also my age. But now it's MY LIFE, given to me as a GIFT that is so precious. I am so grateful I got another chance to get how GOOD life is. Like one of the guys ahead of me said, the wind, the leaves...it's just all a gift. We'll be right here waiting for you! Michelle

Dear Offwego, I am 62 years old with three(3) hip replacements and ankylosing spondylitis. I knew for 15 years the day would come when I'd have to have this surgery (AVR). I had had Hodgkins Disease when I was 20 and they didn't know at the time that radiation could ruin valves. The time came. The (very competent and well-known) surgeon I got by happenstance not only knew about the radiation but had been head of heart and lung transplants there. He also-moving down here from Palo Alto several years ago-had bought the house (in Pasadena) I was born and grew up in as a little kid.
I can't believe it's over, the waiting. Now, I'm free! I used to care so much about things that didn't matter. No one but people on this site (heart people I mean) understand what it means to BE HERE. Perhaps it's also my age. But now it's MY LIFE, given to me as a GIFT that is so precious. I am so grateful I got another chance to get how GOOD life is. Like one of the guys ahead of me said, the wind, the leaves...it's just all a gift. We'll be right here waiting for you!
Michelle

Beautiful sentiment and story...and that sort of perspective is just what I needed before going to sleep. You're right, it's all a gift..even without medical challenges, I am sure most if not all of us have stories of loss and the sometimes tragic part of life..It's not about the details of valve replacement or repair, it's really about a proper perspective and approach to life. Thank for for sharing your story and thank you for such kind support.

OK offwego, here's another good news reply. My surgery went very well, recovery was easy, I was back to work after 8 weeks. Without the AVR I am not sure I would still be here. So getting my valve fixed has allowed me to enjoy time with my family, I learned that even a control freak like me can let go and let other people help me. I appreciate my family (with all their quirks and warts) and most of all I know that no matter how many times life happens to knock me down, I will get up and laugh, and let everyone I have a fondness for know that I Love Them. So I will be here for you when you get back.

OK offwego, here's another good news reply. My surgery went very well, recovery was easy, I was back to work after 8 weeks. Without the AVR I am not sure I would still be here. So getting my valve fixed has allowed me to enjoy time with my family, I learned that even a control freak like me can let go and let other people help me. I appreciate my family (with all their quirks and warts) and most of all I know that no matter how many times life happens to knock me down, I will get up and laugh, and let everyone I have a fondness for know that I Love Them. So I will be here for you when you get back.

Funny that a few weeks ago I was home with a brutal cold (I think my getting bad colds and very slow recovery has been directly connected to poor valve and heart function...) but anyway..I was home alone and just thinking..."I wish I could just be taken care of...and let it go..." I started fantasizing about getting my heart fixed and just having other people care and take care of me...And now here I am....and knowing me, I won't let many people near me and most likely will kick them all out and do it myself...haha...Just spoke to my sister about it and she agreed...only if I am really really exhausted or super tired will I let anyone take care of me.

But of course I will love and welcome visitors (just kick em out after 'x' amount of time)

Clocks ticking...get this done before I lose it!

As to 'kick em out after 'x' amount of time........

DO JUST THAT.
I asked my DH to keep almost everyone away from me while in the hospital both of my OHS. The exhaustion following this surgery redefines the word exhausted IMO I find hospital visit way too tiring and I did not want to feel as though I needed to be polite, listen to anyone's jokes or stories..... I just wanted to get the rest I needed. He knew the few people I would want to see and told the rest I'd welcome their visits after I got home. They respected that and I am grateful. I truly was not up to seeing lots of people.

Agreeing with Jkm7....no friends visiting in hospital for me either. NO WAY.
My husband was there daily for 14 days and my daughter took over for 2 days. Yes, i was in for 16 days just to
fix up my INR blood level. I rented a TV and flipped through magazines and played a bit of cards. Time passes.

Glad to get some support on this...no one is visiting me....my sister and I am even telling her that I don't really need the company..I had a girl I am dating supposed to visit me tonight but was so happy she couldn't make it...I just don't' want to 'act' in any way for anyone..I'm selfish and that's the way I have to be..I told my kids, Ill need lots of support (maybe lol) but don't want many or any friends around till I feel much much better...like in 3 months...LOL...

Another thought, hope you have a telephone answering machine, voice mail or whatever. Some of the well-meaning
calls can get to be a bit much. My daughter took my msgs and there were 2 pages of them. !!!

I'd love to tell you that my whole outlook on life changed after my OHS.. . but no. I was hoping that the AVR would NOT affect my brain, my fave foods, etc., etc., and it didn't. I was back to work 2 or 3 days post-op, in the hospital, as soon as my BW brought me my laptop! (I'd been up 'til about 5 AM just before my surgery, slapping together a formal submission that was due 4 or 5 days post-op, and I was pleasantly surprised that I was cogent enough post-op to tie up the loose ends and polish it up!)

My recovery has been bump-free except for one very short excursion into a-fib and tachucardia, including a ~4-hr ER visit via ambulance, all a few weeks post-op. Recently, at ~10 months post-AVR, my cardiologist told me that I can do whatever I want, including returning (at 66 y.o.) to playing competitive volleyball with a bunch of 30-somethings. I expect to try that within the next week or two, and I'm much more worried about my joints (ankles, knees, and BOTH shoulders!) than about my heart -- and that's about the best cardiac report I can give!

For sure, not all OHSs go smoothly, bump-free, or loaded with Good News. But many do, and it's good to have a place to collect and share some of those stories!

Wow that's a fast recovery...I don't know what effected my brain so much last time. I forgot my fax number, gave out a number from 10 years ago...forgot safe combination, I was very very disoriented...My wild morphine experience certainly didn't help!

I love reading these posts and even considering the drama I had in my first surgery, Other than not being prepared for depression (which might have lessoned or reduced it dramatically), a few rapid heart beats and tweaking medications, overall it actually was not very eventful...I was not in a good place when it happened, in the middle of a divorce, in a new home living mostly alone and younger kids that also made me feel more responsible for them and weak which made me feel worse..But those things have all changed for the better. I live in a great area of NYC, have doormen and a super who all will do anything they can for me, my sister lives close by, my daughter lives in the city during the week nearby, the hospital is 14 easy walking blocks away and overall I am in decent shape...The nurse practitioner said I probably won't need rehab as I an pretty youthful for my age (54! hard to believe)..Even this time of year is just about perfect for me...thank god it's not in the middle of a winter like last year or in the dead of summer with extreme heat...Lots of good things in m favor!

I don't want anyone to misread my experience as being so terrible, it really wasn't from a medical perspective.

I'm so glad to read this thread - I was beginning not to want to visit the forum as it was too depressing in the waiting room reading poor experiences. I know things do go wrong, they can go wrong with anyone, anywhere, but it's so nice to read the other perspective as well.

Anne

Well offwego, it's almost time. I shall keep you in my thoughts all day tomorrow. And of course will be waiting to hear that everything went smoothly. And I agree, put up with visits in the means and length that you can tolerate. See ya down the road....

Latest posts

Back