The date is set

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to get a date! Now one thing out of the way. :)
Wishing you all the best. Before you know it, you will be on the other side of the mountain!

It's nice that you don't have a terribly long wait. Before you know it, you'll have this behind you. And one day you will break out with a huge smile when you realize that your symptoms (which you may not even recognize now) are long gone. Those really do make any any problems that crop up seem like minor inconveniences!

Best of luck

Three weeks from today. Yeow!

I'm continuing to keep this entire process on my terms. The flurry of paperwork and appointments is in full speed mode. Got a call from the surgeon yesterday and he's ordering a few extra tests. Still getting my leave of absence paperwork together for submission. But I did receive the confirmation yesterday from the insurance company that my hospital stay/surgery is considered necessary. (well.....duh!) I'm in the employee benefits profession and have to admit it's a bit overwhelming even for me.

Now - I'm having shortness of breath (nothing horrible) and wondering if that's a symptom or anxiety. Hmmm...that's a question for the cardiologist.

Good luck. Three weeks may seem like plenty of time to get things done, but I realized mine flew by. The first few days post-surgery were tough, but its incredible how quickly the human body can start to repare and recovery. It's a short period of discomfort when compared to the rest of your life.

Thoughts, prayers, and good vibes all coming your way.

YIKES!!!! The surgeon requested another test which my primary doctor did in her office. Since I've developed a little wheezing, I brought it up to her. That wheezing isn't valve related. I have the beginnings of bronchitis. So....the current round of antibiotics for a slight nasal infection is being replaced with another round. MUST BE VANQUISHED!!!!! I will NOT have surgery delayed. (stamps foot on floor and stands in defiant pose) Good thing that it was caught early.

But....no drinks for me on New Years Eve.

YIKES!!!! The surgeon requested another test which my primary doctor did in her office. Since I've developed a little wheezing, I brought it up to her. That wheezing isn't valve related. I have the beginnings of bronchitis. So....the current round of antibiotics for a slight nasal infection is being replaced with another round. MUST BE VANQUISHED!!!!! I will NOT have surgery delayed. (stamps foot on floor and stands in defiant pose) Good thing that it was caught early.

But....no drinks for me on New Years Eve.

Hopefully you'll be better in time for surgery. I was wonderring if you dont mind sharing of course, what kind of additional testing does the surgeon keep orderring? hopefully it is all good results

Dave. Hope you'll be all better by jan 19 th. thinking of you

Also to all - QUESTION Scheduled for AVR. 2-9 12. & am wondering when the pre op staff starts ? Also
I recently has EKG - X-ray & blood work at aug physical. Think they can u use that info instead of doing more testing ? How current does it need to be ? 30 day count Dow in a week - Thx to all. Nancy.

Dave. Hope you'll be all better by jan 19 th. thinking of you

Also to all - QUESTION Scheduled for AVR. 2-9 12. & am wondering when the pre op staff starts ? Also
I recently has EKG - X-ray & blood work at aug physical. Think they can u use that info instead of doing more testing ? How current does it need to be ? 30 day count Dow in a week - Thx to all. Nancy.

You might want to start your own thread so everyone sees your questions, but for the most part preop testing is done a day or so before surgery. maybe a friday for monday surgery type of thing. The longest I believe they let any tests like Xrays etc. be done would be 30 days, Bloodwork is only good for a week or so at the very most. I know even if you have all your preop testing done the day before and then surgery gets bumped more than a week, somethings like Xray would be fine but blood work would need repreated, either they have you come in a day or so before surgery again or if you arent the first case, thy might let you come in extra earlier to have the blood work done before surgery

Good luck buddy. I just got the news I am going under on 1/11. We can compare notes when you are out and back home. I am 52 and need Aortic root work also. I am getting a shiny new SJ Mechanical. You will be just fine. Like replacing a carbeurator. Stay positive all the time. State of mind is more than half the battle.

Lynlw - I recently saw an ENT for a hearing test. He scoped my sinuses just to take a look and noticed some germy stuff. I got a 14 day course of antibiotics. I had mentioned to the surgeon that I've had some infected carbuncles in the past and he wanted me tested for MRSA. For that test, I had to go to my primary doctor for a nasal swab. When I mentioned my lung heaviness, she found some rattling and started me on another antibotic and chest xray. My physical is set for Wed with the cardiologist. I know I'll have another chest xray just to make sure things are cleared. From what I'm told, the preadmission testing is done about 3 days before admission. I had the option of checking in the day before. But if I'm not going to sleep, I'd rather do it in my own bed rather than the hospital.

Latest posts

Back