Thanks from a newbie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard, Nate!

Days 1-4 are the roughest in most recoveries. Each day will get better. Vote for pain control, and remember all the wonderful things you have to live for!

Nate,

Did your surgeon give you those projected durability numbers of 10 to 15 years?
If not, you might want to ask about the distribution history for that valve.
We have had several 'premature failures' (1 to 7 years) reported by Porcine Valve Recipients.

'AL C'

I appreciate the concern, and I'm very aware of the risks and premature failures in some cases. Several people have questioned my choice since I posted here; without giving my full life history, here's a summary of why I made this decision. I've met with or consulted with many cardiologists and surgeons, including a couple of hot shots who regularly work with world-caliber athletes. Without exception, each endorsed this valve type for me as the most appropriate (although one did feel I was an ideal candidate for the RP--something my insurance wouldn't approve and I wasn't really willing to risk). In summary, I have a history of bleeding problems already. Coumadin could very well exacerbate my problem to the point that it could become life-threatening. Moreover, I regularly do long trail runs and mountain biking rides in the Utah deserts and hills. A trip or hard crash 30 miles into the desert could be a game-over moment for someone with my bleeding history. Lastly, a stentless valve in theory should provide superior hemodynamic performance (vs. a stented valve) as I return to racing and training. I have high confidence in my surgical team, and I've accepted the fact that there are no risk-free avenues open to me. My hope is that mech valves will continue to improve to the point that I will have a viable mechanical option for round 2 (I'm looking at you, on-x). I have no illusions that my new valve will last a lifetime, and I'm very aware that it will degrade faster, maybe even much faster, in someone as active as I am. It's a pick-your-poison scenario, in some ways, and I've made a choice that I'm very comfortable with and that my medical team endorses fully.

I'm sorry to hear anyone questioned your choice, especially this close to surgery. The fact you are young and in good shape going into surgery should help with your recovery. Just remember to do your breathing exercises and walking and anything else you tell you to it really does help, feeling better as soon as possible (well thats what Justin decided and seems to work for him) Also don't try to be "brave" take the pain meds they offer you before the pain gets bad, it is easier to do all the work you need to do to recover if you aren't in pain.
Where are you having your surgery? I hope to hear from you in the next few days. Will someone be updating us before you can get online? We really do worry until we hear something.

Last edited:
Nate, obviously you've done your homework, and I applaud you on making a decision based on your personal wants and needs along with your medical team's input.
I think Al's question was less about a mechanical/tissue choice and more about the decision to go porcine rather than bovine.
When I was researching valve choices, I originally decided on the Ross Procedure. Events transpired that led me to go with the bovine pericardial, but that was just the luck of the draw. A porcine would have been fine too.
I know you will do well!:)

Just to throw in some healing vibes from my corner of the world and to applaud the reasoned and well reseached way in which you are tackling your upcoming surgery. You are young and healthy and will climb this VR mountain with flying colours! The first few days on the downward slope can have a few bumps and stumbling blocks but these become progressively easier to surmount as one heals. The best of luck to you and I shall think of you on Monday!

I appreciate the concern, and I'm very aware of the risks and premature failures in some cases. Several people have questioned my choice since I posted here; without giving my full life history, here's a summary of why I made this decision..... I have high confidence in my surgical team, and I've accepted the fact that there are no risk-free avenues open to me..... It's a pick-your-poison scenario, in some ways, and I've made a choice that I'm very comfortable with and that my medical team endorses fully.

Nate, I'm sorry and embarassed that anyone on here feels that it is their place to question a decision that you have already made with your Dr.'s that best fits your needs. It is none of our business why you made the choice you have and you shouldn't feel the need to defend it.

I'm glad that you are confident in your medical team, all of us should be when we are facing this. You'll feel like crap for a little while, but you'll be back at to your normal life in no time. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Best of luck to you.

Kim

I'm glad to know that you made an Informed Decision Nate.

YEP, the stentless porcine valve seems to be the valve of choice for Serious Athletes because it has the Lowest Gradient which yields the greatest capacity for athletic performance.

I expect there may be another advantage in the future if/when catheter placed tissue valves become a viable option for more patients. Alternatively, it will hopefully buy you time to see the results of the ON-X NO/Low Anticoagulation Studies before your next replacement. It's good to have choices :)

Best wishes for your Surgery. You sound well prepared.

'AL Capshaw'

Good luck Nate, you'll do well. Being in good shape will help you more than you know. I'm in decent shape for my age I guess, 47 at the time. This was my first surgery ever. Be proactive about asking about walking while you're in the hospital. Get out of the bed as soon as allowed. I know I only had a mitral valve repaired, but I got on my bike 4 weeks later and cycled 10 miles. I was more concerned about being able to get out of my clipless pedals. Btw, my wife befriended a 50+ woman who had a an AV replaced the same day and she was out of ICU in about a day and a half. Stay relaxed and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back