Surgery scheduled for Tuesday 17th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike59

Hi all

Just to keep everyone up to date my surgery has been moved forward to the Afternoon of the 17th

Being admitted on Monday for pre op tests CT Scan and Echo on Tuesday morning with Operation in the afternoon

AVR and ascending aortic graft. Is the latest status

This feels really scary as I am still largely asymptomatic. The aneurysm is 5.2cm

Still struggling with valve choice - leaning towards tissue

I am 52

Surgeon says the tissue valve "should" last 15 to 20 years which if it does would be absolutely fantastic

Has anyone else been told that the tissue valves can last that long?

Thanks
Mike

Hi all

Just to keep everyone up to date my surgery has been moved forward to the Afternoon of the 17th

Being admitted on Monday for pre op tests CT Scan and Echo on Tuesday morning with Operation in the afternoon

This feels really scary as I am still largely asymptomatic. The aneurysm is 5.2cm

I am 52

Surgeon says the tissue valve "should" last 15 to 20 years which if it does would be absolutely fantastic

Thanks
Mike

This tuesday coming up? If so thats good not alot of time to worry and soon enough you can probably keep pretty busy in the next few days. take time to enjoy family time.
Of course there are No guarantees, but for someone in their early 50s, 15-20 years is probably what most surgeons would say based on the studies for the most used tissue valves used now if that helps. Did your surgeon give any thoughts about the chances of having a tissue valve replaced by cath if/when you would need it replaced?

Best Wishes Mike. No, my surgeon refused to give me a specific time frame. Something about he can't see into the future and he isn't God. So I just plug along and enjoy each day as it comes. Likely I will cross the OHS fence again, but til then. Bring on the fun and happy times.

Hi Lyn

Yes this Tuesday

No he didn't give any advice about using a cath to replace it, but thanks for the advice!

Hi all

I am 52

Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike, good luck with your surgery, you'll be recovering before you know it. Yea, my surgeon told me the exact same thing, 15 to 20 years. And, hopefully by then they will be doing the reops trans cath.
Where you having your surgery done at?

Thanks Guys for all the support and positive posts

Surgery is being done in Plymouth UK

Mike

Positive vibes winging their way from fellow 50-something, asymptomatic, UK-dweller, waiting-room inhabitant. I'm sure all will be fine and you'll soon be well on the way to recovery.

Good luck from another Brit!
Hope everything goes well,
thinking of you,
Love Sarah xx

Thanks all, really appreciate the comments

Will keep you posted on progress

Mike

Good luck with your surgery Mike! My thoughts and prayers will be with you on the big day. Things are a lot better on the other side of the mountain.

Tom

Good Luck Mike!
I have my pre-op monday too. The surgery is Friday morning so we will be recovering during about the same time frame. Iv'e got you by 10 years so we see how the age thing really works. I hope wqe can compare notes in the future. You have a great surgery and a bump free recovery.

Mike, I will have you in my thoughts on the 17th and please have your family update us as soon as you are done. Believe it or not when a member goes in for a surgery we all worry until we get an update.

Latest posts

Back