Surgery Date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, in the words of the doctor "she made a few steps forward". Hearing that we felt a whole lot better today than last night when we were reminded that she was not out of the woods yet. Her heart rhythm has been off for the last two days and she was given shock treatments to get her heart rhythm back on track, several drainage tubes were removed and a feeding line was added to give her nutrients. Her eyes were opened or at least she seemed to be awake more, but of course she is still heavily sedated.

Can anyone tell us what does it mean when her heart rhrythm is off/irregular? Is that normal for a radiated heart patient after surgery?

Today, in the words of the doctor "she made a few steps forward". Hearing that we felt a whole lot better today than last night when we were reminded that she was not out of the woods yet. Her heart rhythm has been off for the last two days and she was given shock treatments to get her heart rhythm back on track, several drainage tubes were removed and a feeding line was added to give her nutrients. Her eyes were opened or at least she seemed to be awake more, but of course she is still heavily sedated.

Can anyone tell us what does it mean when her heart rhrythm is off/irregular? Is that normal for a radiated heart patient after surgery?

She could be in a-fib/a-flutter or several other things. Rhythm issues are VERY common after heart surgery. Sounds like she is going to be one who is going to take baby steps and that's ok, she'll just take a little longer to get there.

Heart rhythms can be irregular after surgery, some more so than others but not to worry she is in the best place she needs to be right now. We all want to see vast improvements when it comes to recovery. Even those of us that have had the surgery sometimes expect that we should be doing or feeling better than we are. The reality is that open heart surgery takes a very long time to heal for many people. Some can be up and about and pacing the hospital floors waiting for the docs to set them free. I guess I just want to say.. try not to worry too much. Healing takes time. All the best to your mom, you and the rest of your family.

Sounds like your mom is making progress, albeit smaller steps than some. I've been there and done that myself.

The good news is she is at a hospital that's one of, if not the best heart hospital in the country. My thoughts and prayers are with your mom and family.

Thank you Drivetopless, Kfay and Penny, that eased each of our minds. Its just so hard to see her this way and we want to see her back to herself again. Being reminded that it takes longer than others makes us feel better. We really, really appreciate your support and advice.

Update: My mom is slowly coming around. Today her breathing tube was removed and she is now sitting up in a recliner and quietly attempting to talk. This has been a HUGE step for her. She may be moved out of ICU very, very soon!

Thank you all for your support.

My father had was kept heavily sedated for 3 days and a feeding tube was added also for nutrients. He experienced A/Fib and A/Flutter throughout his stay at Cleveland Clinic and for a time after his return home. He is no longer experiencing either and is well on the recovery road. Your mother is in very good hands and you will notice every day is a bit better than the day before. Best wishes remain with your entire family.

As of today (12/8/10) my mom is still coming along. She's still in ICU but she has begun to eat a little and sitting up in the chair daily. The doctor's are still saying she's not out of the woods, which is discouraging but we keep praying that she continues to be strong and improve daily.

I am sure this must be difficult for you.
I will continue the prayers and positive thoughts that your mom continues to make progress (even if its baby steps) every day. It is encouraging that she is sitting up and eating a little.

She is 58 and that is young ....strong and determined with a will to live BUT she has just really anoyed the key organ in her body and it will take time to calm down and be friends again ,,,,,,meanwhile more prayers on the way

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I can imagine how worn out you all must be. Please try to take care of yourself too.
Its good to hear she is doing better every day, even baby steps are good. Sometimes you don't realize just how much better someone is doing until you think back to a week ago. Please let your Mom know we are thinking of her and keeping up the prayers.

Thank you everyone. You guys REALLY help us, especially when we're down and start getting impatient. My family and I GREATLY appreciate your thoughts, prayers and advice! She sure did find a great support system on valvereplacement.org!

Latest posts

Back