Surgery date: 9 November 2009

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley2000

Hi VR-vriends,

Cardio sent me for RT scan and I went to the new Thoracic Surgeon (alias Doctor Honey, the Cardio is Hunky) :p yesterday, with the idea of getting a consult on possibly removing the wires. I am 18 months post-op and still I can't sleep on my sides, without sternum pains waking me up. And I have constant burning/sharp pains in my chest and neck. I thought that I just needed to get some wires removed.

RT scan shows that there is a huge gap as sternum did not attach. He will have to go in again, remove all the wires, clean the bone from tissue and this time he will put clips on and not sternal wires. So it is basically open-chest surgery?

What a shock and I am still in denial. But surgery date has been set for 9 November 2009 and he assures me that I should have little to no pain even 2 weeks post-op! That would be nice.

He is also going to do the Medtronic Reveal implant, while he has me open in anyway. It feels as if I am going on "Big brother" with this thing! but I have to trust my Surgeon and Cardio's opinion on this and figgure out what type of arrthythmia I have.

My Employers are very supportive and unlike last time, I have a very good Medical Aid that woun't go belly-up on me. I know that last time I didn't look after myself (my kids were 2 and 4) and I had no support-structure... this time I am flying my mother-in-law in from Europe to come and help with the kids and I am going to listen to the docs and take it easy. I will only back to work on 4 Jan. 2010! So the new year is going to be a great one!;)

Hi Smiley, sorry to hear that you have to go through surgery again. I guess at least you will finally be pain free after this one. Wishing you success and a healthy pain free future. Will definitely say a prayer on the 9th. :cool:

*What is a Medtronic Reveal implant ?

Sorry to hear about your 2nd surgery, what a shock to discover the sternum problem when you thought it was only the wires! At least now you will have these new fancy :D sternum tallons also used on Mentu, when he had his recent surgery. Glad you are getting your whole support system, from medical aid to mothers in law, all organised. Wishing you all the best for the surgery. At least this should hopefully clear up most of the constant negative issues since your 1st surgery:).

Smiley, I'm so sorry you have had such a hard time with all of this. Some people just have more than their fair share of problems and you are one of them. I hope that this fixes this problem and you are finally able to be pain free.

Kim

Smiley, sorry to hear about round 2, but this time you will be totally fixed, and just in time for Christmas and a great new year!

I'm sorry to hear this but very glad you complained and just didn't accept it was normal. Hopefully after they clean everything up (debridement) your sternum will heal nicely.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I really admire your upbeat attitude. It sounds like you have everything lined up to get to that great year next year!

Hey, gorgeous! You are one of the most optimistic people on here. You deserve a good smooth ride on this one.

I'll be thinking of you on the 9th and sending all the good vibes I can muster.

Keep that sunny disposition.

You're awesome.

:) Marguerite

Smilely,sorry to read this,but glad you got to bottom of problem
Also supportive employees are a bonus;)
Continuing in my prayers for the 9th,Wishing you all the best success
and recovery goes smooth for you as well...God Bless

Hi Smiley, sorry to hear that you have to go through surgery again. I guess at least you will finally be pain free after this one. Wishing you success and a healthy pain free future. Will definitely say a prayer on the 9th. :cool:

*What is a Medtronic Reveal implant ?

I had sycope episodes Sept 2008, again in Feb 2009 and somewhere in Sept 2009. I had Ablation done in 2007 for PSVT's and so many 24-hour holters that I've lost count. They can not "find" the arrythmia that is causing me to faint. Like most of the VR-friends I have lots of PAC's and PVC's but that is harmless.

The Reveal implant looks like a "memory stick" and they use it to monitor the heart rate for 3 years! No more holter ECG's.

I wonder if that is similar to a 'loop recorder' !!! My ep has mentioned implanting it in me to see if he can catch my arrhythmias. I have had documented VT on ecg. I had an ep study done in 07 but they didnt manage to catch it. I did have a bad run of a.fib which they shocked me out of, but didnt ablate it.

Latest posts

Back