Surgeons valve choice along with an aorta graft

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost 2 yrs ago, my surgeon replaced my aortic valve and the old aortic graft I got in 1989. He created a new one "back table" with a Carbomedics top hat valve inside a Hemashield graft. He wanted to give me the largest valve and graft possible. This was the gifted D. Craig Miller, M.D., at Stanford Hospital. (Had my tissue been compromised and not able to receive a new mechanical valve, I would've gotten a homograph valve and ascending aorta all in one. But, thankfully, my tissue was not damaged by the endocarditis, and I got the top hat, etc.)

Bdryer, what's your schedule? Have you noticed that On-X has just gotten FDA approval for its new On-X Ascending Aortic Prosthesis with the Vascutek Gelweave Valsalva™ Graft? See, e.g., here. I can't figure out what that applicator-looking gizmo is for, or what the surgeon does is if the patient just needs a short Aortic Root graft, rather than the whole long thing. Trim to fit?

I don't know if these are legally approved in Canada yet, either. . .

bdryer -

I see that you attempted to send a PM to my overloaded PM mailbox.

If you like, you can send an e-mail to me through VR.org

'AL Capshaw'

Norm

The surgeon is working with me to get the On-X AV, with possibly the Vascutec Gelweave Valsalva graft. The Cdn rep is getting the approval from Ottawa for the graft. Surgery date has been moved into later March!?#$%

Out of curiosity, has any one had or heard of an On-X valve failing causing a re-operation? I could not find any evidence of an On-X valve failing.

Thx

Believe me Greg, after the Chinook blows through to be replaced by an Arctic blast, those slushy walks and paths turn into a skating rink! I have fallen several times as a result.

Suppose spring will be a better time, but then again, the weather starts up slopping out of the east in early spring. As a result the mountains block the cool moist air mass and we get 20 plus cm dumps into late May.

An Alberta clipper will be coming your way soon. LOL!

I'll shout the house ALL NIGHT LONG! Let's just get this thing going. This waiting game is like last year tax's,
'it carries over into the following year". So I have found.

Had a little chat with the On-X rep via e-mail today and she assured me as others have here, that it's no biggie for an experienced surgeon to attach the graft to the sewing cuff of the valve. The On-X valves are on the shelves of my local hospital, but I'd sure like that bad boy with the attached graft.

Spoke with Gilbert the Canadian On-X rep on Mar 4. He will be in town on Mar 7 to do his presentation to the surgical staff. According to him, I may not require an entire ascending aorta replacement. He said the surgeon has something else in mind instead. I'll have to call his office Monday and find out what the, "something else" is.

Oh-man, the valves are all stocked on the shelves with care in hopes that Gilbert will soon be their. OK, it's a cheesy spin off of "the night before Christmas" but thats how it feels after perusing my wish for an On-X valve, it feels like being a kid waiting for St Nick to arrive. It's good to know that if you work hard enough at something, it can become a reality. Hence my wish for an On-X has become reality for me, in a city that was not implanting the valve prior to my pursuing it.

OK gang, if you want something, be it the Ross procedure, a tissue, or perhaps a MHV, go for it and stay true to your wishes and research. It can happen.

Mar 21 is just around the corner when On-X and me become ONE!

Bina, I have not forgotten your words of, "you may get what they got". At least now I have a chance to "get what I want". Your words have prepared me to not be surprised, should I wake up with a different type of MFG valve.

Way to go! And congrats on making life easier for the next bunch of On-X fans that need a valve in your neighbourhood, too!

Sometimes I think that present-day doctors should get extra "combat pay" to practice medicine in the Internet era. Even when the patient-accessed info is good stuff, as it is here, it's got to make their professional life way harder than it used to be. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be selling cheap electronics in a bricks-and-mortar store these days, either. . .

Thanks all for your guidance and support.

Oh boy, somethings really hit home as the surgery date approaches, like this quote from Duff Man's post on a thread called "Random thoughts from a newly diagnosed". "If someone had told me that 3 years ago, I could've saved alot of time and anguish. When we replace that human tissue with a prosthetic, we trade one set of problems for an entirely new set of problems and risks".

I was hating my junker of a natural human AV valve with all it's pain and limitations, until I digested Duff Mans words. Now I am relishing in my last few weeks of having a human AV, even though it's almost "Kaput". Ironically, I am even sleeping better savoring the last few weeks of this valve, which has lasted almost 56 years.

Don't let that scare you Bruce - not in your particular circumstance. The worst choice you could make is to not go through with it. The life expectancy of an aortic valve replacement patient is about the same as a person without a valve issue as long as they take care of themselves and get the valve replaced before it starts irreparably harming the heart.

I was more or less cautioning the new person that it's best to wait until the time is right. Sure, we all want a better valve, but fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Last edited:
Hey Duff Man

I fear the prolonged wait for valve replacement may have already done damage to the heart. I am very reliant on the Beta blocker to keep the heart pain in check. Suppose the pain is from my hypertrophied left ventricle. I hope that with the new valve the left ventricle will atrophy and the pain subsides. No one knows more then me that with an AV measuring less then .6 cm2, that I don't have 5 years. That is what the cardiologist told me 5 months ago.

Even though your words regarding our human valves were directed to a new member, they have calmed me. I just took your post and found something personal for me in it.

Thanks Duff

When they did mine, the surgeon had a pre-built one with a pig valve and the dacron aorta part. When he got in there, there was something about the location of my coronary arteries that made him decide to build his own. The report says it will make the re-do easier. So I got a cow valve.

Whatever they tell you, the surgeon may have to change the plan when he sees what he is dealing with inside your chest.

All of them are good!

Bruce should know by now what he ended up with, here's hoping that all went well and you are progressing quickly!

Does anyone know, is On-X available in Canada with the attached graft? I currently have my own bicuspid aortic valve inserted inside a Dacron gratf, but it my valve starts to fail, I would be interested in On-X. Could a normal On-X vlave be put in my current graft, or better to replace it all?

Back