Suffering today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Well, managed to turn on my side last night... It was pretty painful turning, but once i got there everything went good. Anyway, woke up this morning, and now im paying for it....i feel like i hit by that stupid truck again.

I remember the first time I turned over by myself....not a very comfortable feeling but after I got up the next morning, I was a little sore. It did go away after a few hours of being up.....believe me, it does get better. Sometimes, it just doesn't feel like it! It was a long road, but sooooo very glad I took the trip. I have my life back and am ever so thankful!!!

Hope you start feeling better later today, Danny!

I remember that well, took me months to be able to lay on my side, my hubby brought me a maternity pillow, you know one of those v-shape pillows, it was so comfortable you have support round all sides of you, infact i still use it a year on. But that did help me to start laying on my side, might be worth a try.
Hope you feel better, just take it easy for a few days, bet you cant do much anyway LOL.
You take care
Jane l

Yap, remember that feeling. I even slept with a bunch of pillows tucked under my side to help me sleep. It worked sometimes but most the time I was hurting the next day. It just takes time.

A few weeks postop I started to lie halfway on my side (45 degree angle) with a back pillow to lean on. This was only for a very short time during the day, not all night. For me, it was something that I needed to build up to..... and now, 4 yrs later, I still sleep on my back anyway.
Danny, rest flat on your back for today and give the muscles a chance to recover. Maybe a warm shower will help?

It is definitely frustrating at times. It was definitely uncomfortable to roll over on my side but once I got there I would hug my pillows and would be able to get comfortable. You are doing great. A few bad days are to be expected with everything we go through. Just keep up the good work.

It took me 2 months to finally sleep in my bed, left side, right side, flat, every which way hurt. Slept on my chaise almost sitting up for the longest time, even now it hurts on my left side slightly....but it does get better.....hang in there.

Well, managed to turn on my side last night... It was pretty painful turning, but once i got there everything went good. Anyway, woke up this morning, and now im paying for it....i feel like i hit by that stupid truck again.

Sorry to hear this, Danny. Try to find a comfortable way for you ... I hug a big pillow when on my side to help keep my chest straight I am getting used to this as it is realy comfy. Good luck.

Ah, yes. The body does have its own way of telling you it didn't like something. Like the others have said pillows, pillows, pillows. I used them to support my back to help me sleep partially on my side. Good luck & take it easy!

I was in my recliner for 7 weeks solid. I tried the bed at 4 weeks and that lasted all of 15 minutes. Flat on my back is not a position I can sleep in. Im a stomach sleeper and I slept on my side for the first week after getting back into a bed. But what helped me immensely was buying one of those body pillows and leaning into it with my leg over it as well.

As much as I would like to sleep on my side, I'm not doing it...it hurts when I roll to my side, and I can only imagine how much I would be hurting the next morning. As much as I hate sleeping on my back, that's what I am doing for now. I've discovered it's better than the recliner, at least.

danny my advice is use plenty of pillows. i guess i am a little ahead of the game in this respect. one or two nights ago i was able to gently go to both my right and left sides. getting up from those sides is tricky and i usually need help. it still hurts some but is tolerable. try pillows, hot showers and electric blankets. tried an electric blanket tonight and i can't say how wonderful it felt.

on another note i have been feeling my sternum pop or move a little bit when i raise, lower or move my arms. it doesn't hurt but i sometimes worry if thats normal or not. see the doc on friday and will ask him then, but do yall experience sternum movement?

Thanks

Thanks again for all the advice. I havent had any experience with sternum movement.... sounds scary to me..lol. Like i said, i can get to my sides..just painful until i get there. Im gonna try the pillows...I do have one of those body pillows also. Hope the movement isnt bad for you scuba.... Again, this is why i love this site, someone here always has an answer, or can get it for you! Thanks to all of you here. Lets all have a good nite.

Danny, when your body hurts after you tried something (like sleeping on your side) it is "talking" to you and saying: please wait a while before attempting that again - I am not ready yet.

If you don't have a recliner than try propping yourself up with a lot of pillows and sleep on your back.

Hope you feel better soon :)

I found that taking my pain medicine right before bed and holding tight to my heart pillow really helped. My first night home, I tried to sleep on my back all night and was miserable - I am not a back sleeper. That is one of the many reasons I slept so poorly in the hospital. So the second night, I just took it real slow and got over to my side and I was able to fall right asleep. I would usually wake up several times and switch sides, which sometimes would be a bit dicey and would take a minute or two of very slow movement, but it worked. For the first week, I would take my pain meds in the middle of the night and when I first got up. This really seemed to help, as I was usually not too sore. Now I can sleep on my side or stomach with no problems. It will come back, just that everybody has their own experiences.

Latest posts

Back