Strange Object in Body ???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faye

I'm hoping someone has the answer to my question.

Is there anything left in the body - groin area - after a heart cath or being on the heart lung pump?

The reason I ask is that I have had on and off pain in my groin/hip area since my heart surgery in 2007. In the last couple of weeks, it has gotten worse and since last Friday I've been in quite a bit of pain and have noticed reduced mobility. So, I went to my PCP today to see about it. She ordered x-rays.

While I was on the x-ray table, the tech asked me if I had any strange body piercings or metal on my underwear. I told her no, why? She said she was seeing something strange. She took another x-ray from a different angle and what she saw was still there. She showed me (and made me promise to not tell the doc) my films.

There is something in the area of my pain that is metal and appears to be 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. The tech had no idea what it was and neither did the doc, who did invite me to look at it.

The films are being sent to be reviewed by a radiologist but the full report won't be in until later this week.

The doc grilled me about my surgeries - AVR and hysterectomy. I asked her if she thought something was left in me. She said she didn't feel comfortable talking about it until the radiologist reviewed everything.

Does anyone know if there is anything metal left in you after being on the heart lung pump?

Thanks,

There is something they use to close off the artery after using it for the cardiac cath. Angioseal or something like that. I had one but I thought they were absorbed by the body. I dont feel it there anymore, but my upper thigh is numb where they went in for the cath.

Wow, this is strange. I have never heard anything like that happening from a heart cath.

I hope that you get some answers soon & relief of the pain & discomfort that you are feeling.

Let us know what you find out.

i just had a heart cath a few months ago and they told me they sometimes use a "plug" to close up the artery --i thought it was some kind of plastic thing that was ok to just stay in the body forever but i didnt end up getting one. what i did get though was pacing wires left which are metal but not in the groin area. im sending best of luck to unravel themystery and get rid of your pain.

Like Megan, I remember being told about a "plug" in that area for the cath, but other than that I don't have any memory of it.

Very sorry you are having the pain. Sounds like they are on the path to discovering what it is and taking care of it.

Please keep us posted. Wishing you all the best in getting this cleared up.

Well I won't even venture a guess as to what showed up on your x-ray. However I certainly hope that your film is reviewed quickly and that some kind of concrete resolution is arrived at. Good Luck to you.:)

Thanks to all for your concern - this place is the best!

I didn't have a plug after my heart cath. I really think something was left in my groin after being on the heart lung pump. The location is right in that area. The best way I can describe what it looked like on the x-ray is that it looked like a pop rivet, with some jaggedy stuff on the bottom. Maybe some type of surgical clip???

I'm anxious/excited to hear what the radiologist thinks. I'm also calling my surgeon this morning to ask if there was something left in the artery or that area - heck, if it is supposed to be there then I can quit wondering. I'm not very patient...

I will keep everyone posted.

I also had the plug and they told me not to worry about it as it would dissolve. That was in 2000. I had to carry a card for awhile just in case the plug dislodged and there was bleeding. I think it was about 30 days. so it couldn't have been metal or it wouldn't have dissolved

Thanks to all for your concern - this place is the best!

I didn't have a plug after my heart cath. I really think something was left in my groin after being on the heart lung pump. The location is right in that area. The best way I can describe what it looked like on the x-ray is that it looked like a pop rivet, with some jaggedy stuff on the bottom. Maybe some type of surgical clip???

I'm anxious/excited to hear what the radiologist thinks. I'm also calling my surgeon this morning to ask if there was something left in the artery or that area - heck, if it is supposed to be there then I can quit wondering. I'm not very patient...

I will keep everyone posted.

I think it is a good idea to call the surgeon and ask. Justin also had the bypass machine thru his groin for his 5th OHS and I don't remember there being anything left inside and he had quite a few people checking out the site since alot of his thigh was /painful and other spots numb in the beginning
My Mom did have a cath break off in her about 10 years ago and they had too rush her to another center and do ER AAA surgery (and Bi-femerol bypass)and retrieve it. So I can't imagine something breaking off and the doc not knowing about it.

I hope whatever it ends up being it is simple and they can help you will the pain ASAP.

I called my surgeon's office and the nurse seemed flustered and asked if she could get the x-ray for my surgeon to look at. All indicators are that whatever it is, it isn't supposed to be there!

I have a feeling the next few days are going to be interesting...

Whoa Faye..! I can understand why you're not very patient.. Hope you find out what it is really soon. How about getting a copy of the x-ray and framing it -- great conversation piece.;)

Meanwhile, we know you'll get it taken care of ASAP..!

If someone did indeed leave something behind I'm not sure what my response would be. If a procedure is involved to remove it I would be one ticked off puppy. I'll be curious to see what you find out, I bet EVERYONE in the surgeons office is going to try to be your BFF if a mistake was made.

Regardless, hopefully they can figure out what it is and get it taken care of.

Not wishing to alarm you but I watched a programme on television a few months back, on Discovery Health and apparently the leaving behind of items after surgery isn't exactly unknown. I think you need to get copies of those x-rays and perhaps ought to be thinking lawyers at some stage.

Not wishing to alarm you but I watched a programme on television a few months back, on Discovery Health and apparently the leaving behind of items after surgery isn't exactly unknown. I think you need to get copies of those x-rays and perhaps ought to be thinking lawyers at some stage.
I agree about the lawyer. Things in arteries while on ACT would scare the life from me. Are you supposed to be on bed rest or on limited activity? If not, maybe you should query for instruction. What if it caused a bleed?

FWIW:

A former co-worker had CABG in the 1980s. Some time afterward -- not sure if he was still in the hospital or had been discharged -- he began running a fever. Cause: sponge left in from his surgery.

Don't know if he sued or just got a settlement, but he bragged that it was enough to send his son through Southern Methodist University, a private $$$chool in Dallas TX.

OHMYGOODNESS!
I caught on late to this thread! Geez louise.
I have heard of stuff being left inside people after surgery, so it's not totally out of the question.
Do keep us posted on what is happening. Poor Faye!
I do agree that you should have copies of your X-rays for yourself, should you need to seek out other counsel...
I hope they can figure this out. What a mystery!

Melissa

Faye,

This sounds pretty bazarr to me. PLEASE keep us INFORMED. I am sure though, everything will turn out okay.

I second what Sue943 said.

Be SURE to get a Copy of that X-Ray ASAP.

You will need to fill out a release of information form at whatever facility performed the X-Ray.

When I had my cath they used the Angio-Seal vascular closure device, which is made of collagen and is bioabsorbable. It was made by St Jude. After 90 days it is totally dissolved. There is no metal in it at all. Sounds to me like they used something different on you, and somebody screwed up.

Latest posts

Back