Still hear whooshing...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

I am about 7 weeks post op after a mitral valve repair. I happen to have a stethoscope laying around and was feeling bored, so I thought I would listen to my "fixed" heart. I had severe regurg previously (for my whole life) so my heart didn't used to thump-thump...it would thump-woosh. I listened in a couple places and heard thump-thump, but then moved the stethoscope to my left side, just below my breast and the thump-woosh is there! My surgeon released me on April 2 with NO restrictions at all. He said I was fixed and that I should just go out and live a very long life and die of something else because my valve is fixed. Could something have gone wrong between 5 and 7 weeks (I guess maybe I'm at almost 8 weeks now) to start that valve leaking again?!?! I'm trying to remember that I'm not a doctor and not freak out too much, but I'm wishing I hadn't listened!!

I have my first post surgery appt with my cardiologist on Wednesday.

I have seen my general practitioner since I had the surgery and he was amazed at the difference post op...although he did say he heard something a little off, but nothing he would have even heard if he hadn't been listening for it. He even went so far as to say it might have been his imagination. Because he was listening so hard.

Oh goodness. I truly hope that what you hear wasn't more regurgitation. I wish you the best at your appointment on Wednesday. You will be in my thoughts and prayers until this gets sorted out. Maybe there is another reasonable explanation for what you may/may not have heard. Fingers crossed!

Tom

I have a mech valve so my situation is different but I hear a whoosh still for me. Don't panic, even if the valve has failed there's nothing that can be done by freaking out. I know its easier said than done. Make an appointment with your cardio ASAP so he/she can hear it and you can hear some good news and find out all is well. Till then no panic unless you have chest pain and cant breath, if that's the case go to ER.

Remember you're not a doctor and you may be hearing something else completely! My valve was fixed 14 months ago and there's still a slight whoosh apparently. Don't panic! I'm sure all is fine.

My doc also told me on first appointment after surgery that he can still often hear a murmur after surgery. Not sure if it is the same as a woosh.

I'm in the group that still has a slight murmur after surgery. You should have left that stethoscope alone lol. That's like searching for symptoms on the internet...whatever symptom you may be having you can always find some really bad illness tied to it if you look hard enough. Since you are seeing your cardiologist tomorrow I would let him do the listening with the stethoscope and I am sure if he hears anything that concerns him he will tell you. Hope you get outstanding news tomorrow !!!

Apparently, it's a normal whoosh...my cardio said come back in 6 months...then he said, it was really more of a social visit since I'm all fixed now! Back to work on Monday....ugh!

Latest posts

Back