Sternal Closure questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esvaja

What sort of questions or concerns should I tell/ask my surgeon re:future sternum comfort? I'm NOT a back sleeper. Should I ask about different types/styles of closing material or different methods of closing "the gap."?
thanks
Daiva
PS This website is AWE-some, actually the people on it.

Hi Daiva,
I don't have a definitive answer, and will be interested in what responses you get. I was 'NOT a back sleeper' either, but became a sitting-up-partially-reclined sleeper after AVR. Part of the problem is getting out of the bed from a prone position. You will probably be on Lasix and will be getting up during the night. Part of the problem is that your chest will be sore, and you may not want to lie on it. And part of the problem may be that your new improved heart beat sounds so much louder when it's underneath you that it keeps you awake. There is a lot on here about trying to sleep after surgery, and your best bet may be to know about various solutions so you can see which works best for you. Also later you can post more specifically about what is keeping you awake and get more suggestions.

And please try to relax about some of the details. It's temporary and you will cope.

Daiva, not many people have used the Sternal Talons with which my sternum was closed but they seem to work well. I had no chest pain after surgery from the incision and from my first day home slept in my own bed. Perhaps, others have had different experiences with them; after all, I am only a sample of one. Since my chest healed, I've not been able to feel them. Talons come in sets of 3 like this:

View attachment 8916

You can read more about Talons at:

http://www.rapidsternalclosure.com/medical/talon.php

Larry

Kryptonite

Kryptonite

As Larry pointed out talons are out there and the other NEW option is a kryptonite glue [video]http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20101022/superglue-heart-surgery-101024/[/video] that was discussed on this thread http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?36626-Krytonite-Glue-CALGARY-ALBERYTA&highlight=krytonite and Luckyguy has had it used on him http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/member.php?7412-Luckyguy17 you may want to PM him but I will let him know of this thread

Daiva, not many people have used the Sternal Talons with which my sternum was closed but they seem to work well. I had no chest pain after surgery from the incision and from my first day home slept in my own bed. Perhaps, others have had different experiences with them; after all, I am only a sample of one. Since my chest healed, I've not been able to feel them. Talons come in sets of 3 like this:

View attachment 8916

You can read more about Talons at:

http://www.rapidsternalclosure.com/medical/talon.php

Larry

If you fly, do you set off metal detector at the airport? I've been curious if the talons 'go beep'. Thanks.

Unfortunately, Kryptonite glue is still a clinical study. I requested the glue when I met with my surgeon. He turned me down because it is still a clinical study. Get this, the glue was invented by a doctor at his hospital of which he is the acting head of cardiac surgery. He said every one is requesting it.

If you can find a facility and surgeon involved in the study, I would go for it!

For the few times that I have flown, I haven't set off any detectors and sure if others have or not.

Thanks, Freddie: You have sternal talons as closure device?

I also have flown any number of times since two OHS and have not set off detectors but I have a typical sternal wires ..... not the sternal talons?

I am asking specifically about the talons?

I, too, was turned down when I asked about the talons or glue for sternal closure. They used stainless steel wire, and although it has been just (almost) two weeks, no problems with the sternal closure. Other things - yeah, some problems. Just not with the sternum.

I asked my surgeon about using sternal talons or Kryptonite glue since I had problems with my sternal wires after my first surgery and ended up having them removed. He said that the talons were expensive and he didn't see a big advantage using them instead of wires in my case. He said kryptonite glue was not an option at this time. He said he uses what he has had the most success with...wires, stitches and staples. So I didn't have to worry about making a choice. ;)

In response to the questions about Talons setting off security scanners, they do not. The first times I flew after surgery, I had my cards in my pocket - one for my heart valve and one for the talons. No one ever epressed any interest in my cards because the scanners never beeped.

I've heard the argument before about Talons being expensive but so is heart surgery. How many of you would choose not to have surgery just because of the expense. Talons do three things. They reduce the chance of post operative infection in the sternum, they dramatically reduce pain after surgery and they promote healing in the sternum. I think that if more surgeons had to have heart surgery, Talons would be used more often.

Larry

Kryptonite bone cement for sternum closure

Kryptonite bone cement for sternum closure

Hi Daiva,

and Greg thanks for the heads up on this thread for discussion on sternum closure options.

Yes I was the 1st patient in our hospital facility and region to receive Kryptonite bone cement/glue for sternum closure.

I had read about the glue and could not find any downside to the bone cement. So in pre surgery meeting with the surgeon, I requested surgeon's opinion on cement use for sternum closure. My surgeon was very aware of the product and already curious about cement as an alternative to talons, which he sometimes uses as well. So with a 2 minute discussion, surgeon felt that i did not need it (few require it he says), but he was curious enough and willing enough to try. From his perpective, wondering whether the procedural change of cement may benefit some patients, sometimes. The surgeon indicated that he would receive the training and be ready for use of the cement by my surgery time and it really was not a hard sell to my surgeon (mine is also a teaching hospital) and may be open to continous change and improvement.

My recovery from surgery was very smooth and happened in weeks and I do not remember any fragility in my chest. I required no pain meds beyond 4th day after surgery. That being said i only slept (dozed) on by back for 1st 2 weeks or so, but did sleep on my side in about the 3rd week post op and on stomach about 4 weeks pos op.

For the patient, once again, i see no downside to closure with cement. Am a little dismayed that many surgeons may be reticent to try the product and are using the "clinical trials" excuse to dismiss trying the cement with their patients.

It is possible that cementing the sternum bone, may add some time and complexity for the surgical team as i understand it sets very quickly. For the medical team, it also needs some training and it seems that a special blade is required, if they need to reopen (but how often does that happen?), so maybe the pushback from surgeon is change management, some requirement for retraining. , a few special tools and I understand a cost of about $500 for the product?

It is my understanding that the bone cement is non allergenic and has been used in cementing bone for quite some time. Use of cement for sternum closure is rather recent, < 2 years and it was originally piloted for sternum by a team in Calgary Alberta.

I had read pre-surgery about OHS patients having mutiple surgeries and they thought that the recovery was faster from OHS with the use of Kryptonite.

My recovery did seem to be exceptional in comparison to the group of OHS individuals that were done in the same period, so maybe my quick recovery was a fluke, but maybe the Kryptonite helped. I feel that the Kryptonite was an insurance product that I would happily "buy again", if given the choice in my next surgery.

DebbyA is abolutety right that for most of us, whatever the surgical team and methods, that discomfort is temporary and recovery is amazingly fast, considering the severity of OHS. I still remember well, walking into my cardiologist office 8 days post op, where the medical team could not believe that i had had the surgery, from my appearance and continance.

All the best with your upcoming OHS and wishing u a speedy and uneventful recovery.

I have a new model St-Jude AVR prosthetic, as well as the bone cement. Am now 9 months post op and all is well. Time will tell on whether I will need to redo this odyssee in my lifetime, but if need be so be it. all good.

Gil

Latest posts

Back