Sooo tired. Depressed? Stenosis? A little of both?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXWildflower

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm feeling like a bit of baby today - heck not just today - for several days now. I just couldn't get out of bed this morning - I have been so tired all week and today just couldn't face it. My surgery is coming soon to replace my aortic valve. Feb 2nd. I don't know if my problem is depression, my stenosis or a little bit of both.

Did any of you veterans out there have problems like this - where it was a struggle to get up in the morning most days and then some days not at all? I'm just hoping I'm not some nut case, but that this can be a symptom of aortic stenosis. I do recognize the tendency for depression so I'm taking an anti-depressant and for one week now have doubled up the dose on Dr.'s advice. (Was taking 75mg of Effexor and now 150 - still a low dose I'm told.) Anyway maybe when the extra dose kicks in I'll be in better shape. I'm also exploring finding a counselor or someone to talk to.

I wonder if cardiologist practices, or cardio-thoracic surgeons practices have counselors who specialize in cardiac depression. Cardiac depression is a real disease isn't it?

Anyway, just wanting to know if anyone else who has been through this felt this way before their surgery or did you get up all ready to go greet the new day! :) I live alone, but do have a good support group of friends and family around - that helps more than I can say.

Hi, Rhena.
My surgery is coming up next week, and I must say I have had a hard time staying motivated to do day to day things. I just want to take a nap every few hours, too. I think it might just be this time of year, too. It is so blah, it makes you feel blah. And maybe we'lre winding down in prep for the surgery, recognizing the fatigue that has probably always been there. Hang in there!

Rhena

I had to wait 2 months and can understand how diffiuclt it is. I was very tired, but managed to get out of bed. I was lucky to have several friends that gave me support. It is just diffiuclt and you need to use any resources you have. Try to stay positive and think about how you life will improve after your surgery. It will take time, but what else do most of us have when we are so tired. I am now 5 months post op and life is great. It was a very long road. I still dont' know if I am over my a-fib, but the rest is wonderful. A lot of energy and good mental outlook. I still take naps because I will get very tired, but only after being active.

Good luck and try to stay positive.

Pat

I was increasing tired and just "didnt feel good" before surgery.Your going to get your energy and health back after your surgery.There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not another train! You WILL feel much better.

Rhena, everyone has a different experience. The good thing is, there are so many ways to address the multitude of feelings, sensations, moods, aches, etc. etc. that we all have. I am glad that you are trying an antidepressant. They do wonders for many people (and I'm sure some who have been helped here will chime in soon). I believe that it is very important to do these drugs and have counseling in tandem. Antidepressants are not like antihistimines.:wink2: They are serious meds that require guidance from credentialed practioners. Please get the help now since, honestly, waiting is the hardest part!!!!

That part said, as I grew sicker and sicker waiting to have my surgery it was very difficult to be myself (and I'm quite a Pollyanna!). Because I had a husband and daughter in the house who were very concerned and tentative about a surgery that I honestly knew would save my life and not be awfully traumatic, I had to put on the brave and optimistic face EVERYDAY!. Since you don't have to impress anyone, living alone, it may be that the physical exhaustion (and oh! that is what got me) is playing on your mind.

ooops. gotta run. hang in there!!

Marguerite

Rhena, you could well be describing my experience before surgery. I was exhausted with even a little activity and getting out of bed was a struggle every morning. Throughout the day, exertion brought on palpitations that became debilitating as the weeks passed. In such circumstances, it is hard to imagine that depression would not be present. Just before I met my surgeon for the first time a month before surgery when the symptoms - fatigue, dizziness, paplitations... were getting worse, my family doctor expressed her concern about the depression and recommended that I begin taking an antidepressant {fluconazole}. My doctor was concerned about how I was feeling during the run up to surgery but she said that of even more concern was the depression that many people experience a few weeks after surgery. By beginning treatment early, she felt it was possible to forestall the more serious depression later. I did begin treatment and by the time of surgery my mood was already lighter than it had been. Of the period after surgery, I can say that I did not experience the dark feelings that I had earlier.

If you would like to read more about this, my doctor suggested

Coping With Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression: A Family's Guide to the Medical, Emotional, and Practical Issues

I found it to be a very help guide in better understanding what was happening and it was useful with respect to it comments about the recovery period. You can now get a used copy at Amazon.com for less than $10.00 although many libraries will have a copy of it.

Rhena, don't despair. Perhaps because I felt ill before surgery, the difference in how I felt after surgery was striking. How you feel today is likely to be much worse than what you will feel when your valve is replaced. The contrast of before and after will be a lot more obvious to you than if you were experiencing few symptoms now. Take heart; things are going to be better soon.

Larry

Rhena - I think I know the feeling as- my surgery is Monday week (17th) I keep talking to all my doctors and will make a final decision by Monday- I am talking to my friends, pastors, family and employees- trying to plan for my post surgery- and planning and talking about all the possible good and bad outcomes. I have learned so much from this site -

I am finding myself more flexable in talking about recovery times- planning furniture and home changes/ planning a support group of friends and family including asking people to sit and visit me-
IT IS ALL A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE AND I HAVE FAITH AND CONFIDENCE - but still the thoughts and worries sneak out - in sleepless times- but know that you are not alone- and we all care and support and pray for you -

I thought I was "up to bat" a couple times, and each time I felt similar to what you describe... it was just hard to put one foot in front of the other some days. Other days I'd be ok, or on autopilot. My stenosis is quite mild, but I think it was just the oppressive anxiety about the upcoming procedure that tired me out.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find calm in the storm.

Rhena, I lived in fear and dread the days preceding my replacement. If I could have pulled the covers up over my head and not emerged until after surgery, I would have. I think I told everyone on the forum, those that were foolish enough to hang around the Chat room long enough to listen, that I was terrified.
So maybe you're dealing with the stenosis but it's more likely the emotional component. If it were me, I'd indulge myself for a little bit, because I don't think this stage will last long. I think at some point you will have a burst of energy and feel like there's stuff to be done before your surgery date.
By the way, I think doubling up on the Effexor dose was a brilliant idea. Hang in there and let us know how you're feeling.
Hugs,
Mary

Thanks so much for all the kind words everybody. It gave me a chance for a good cry to know I wasn't alone in this. I feel like it released a lot of pent up feelings I needed to get out. I'm too used to internalizing things than reaching out for help.

I've indulged myself enough now I think its time to make more of an effort to get moving and get stuff done because Duffey you are so right - I have so much to do both at home and at work. I'm going to work harder at pushing the blues away and realizing that in reality I'm very lucky. I got something that can be fixed and I'm praying that I really am going to feel so much better as everyone says I will. Tomorrow I've made brunch plans with some girlfriends to get out and have some fun and I've talked to several different ones over the weekend too and that has been nice.

Just Waiting you said it right too - it is a very humbling experience. I've been independent for so long it hard to ask for help. Of course I didn't even have to ask from my family. I couldn't keep them away if I wanted to. Another reason I'm lucky.

Y'all are all the best! Feeing better already! Thanks!:) Also good luck to you on your surgery Just Waiting. Whatever decision you make about your valve it will be the right one. Prayers headed your way.

Hi, Rhena.
My surgery is coming up next week, and I must say I have had a hard time staying motivated to do day to day things. I just want to take a nap every few hours, too. I think it might just be this time of year, too. It is so blah, it makes you feel blah. And maybe we'lre winding down in prep for the surgery, recognizing the fatigue that has probably always been there. Hang in there!

Wow Drivetopless -I just skipped over the part where your surgery was next week. My prayers are with you too. BTW I've always loved your user name and avatar. It always makes me smile.

There are no right or wrong emotions at a time like this ... I was very fond of sedatives for the first week or two before surgery ... took the edge off when the anxiety was in high gear ... got ya in my prayers ((((HUG)))

Isn't the mutual empathy on this site a relief? My husband was telling someone recently how sick I'd been when my valve was deteriorating; I'd forgotten until he mentioned it but some days I'd get up and shower and then I'd have to lay back down and rest from the exertion. And working in the heat, even bringing groceries in from the car on a hot day, could wipe me out for the rest of the day and into the next one. I was amazed at how much better I felt with my new valve -- and hope you will be too. Best wishes :)

Rhena,

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I was lucky enough not to have much fatigue or depression pre-op, though certainly had my share of apprehension. Many do report needing some meds to help them though -- nothing wrong in using what the doctors prescribe. Wishing you all the best....

Rhena - I'm another stenosis patient with surgery scheduled (March 1). As I progress toward "the day" I am realizing how much I've been cutting back on exertion without knowing it. I have finally given myself permission to admit that this thing has been effecting my strength, stamina and abilities for far longer than I ever told anyone. I guess I am lucky that I had the strength to push as hard as I did, but now it seems so strange to become dependent upon others. It is humbling, and could be depressing. Just think of it this way -- it is only temporary. After surgery, recovery will happen (if it doesn't, I guess there isn't much to worry about. . . ), and after a few months we will be back up and able to do a lot of the things we remember as distant memories.

I'm not at all looking forward to the next few months, but I AM looking forward to the months after that!

I'm no psychiatrist but...

I'm no psychiatrist but...

In my psycho-pharmacology class I have learned that effexor is one of the most difficult anti-depressants to get off of. People get stuck on it years after they need it because the withdrawal symptoms are a bitch. If you just started it you may want to talk to your doctor at something that is not so difficult to get off of. If you have decent insurance go to a psychiatrist, they are the best knowledge at what medications are acceptable with heart conditions and with heart meds, you will most likely be on beta blockers when you are done with surgery and I'm not sure how those two would go hand-in-hand. Depression is very treatable with counseling. So you may want to find yourself a LMHC.
I had mitral regurg, and I did feel sluggish and apathetic before surgery, I also because very depressed after surgery but it was situational and best dealt with a therapist, if you have organic depression (not situational, and extended history of it and family history of it, then you may need meds). I personally am taking zoloft to take the edge off the anxiety and it is helping. You may also want to get your vitamin levels checked, you could have a defecency, if you live somewhere cold and gloomy it can be seasonal and you can do light therapy and take vitamin d.

Thanks Michele, that is good advice. I had just recently spoken with a friend who is a psychologist and she told me the same thing and lectured me to never just stop taking it. I will discuss it with someone. I do intend to find a clinical psychologist cause everyone agrees you need to do both in tandem. I have been on zoloft before, but it made me sweat so much - I swear - on my head. In humidity particularly and I live in a humid climate:D I'd look like I just got out of the shower half the time. I got weaned off those with Dr. help and that was pretty easy. Maybe sweating isn't such a bad thing!

BTW everybody - I wanted to let you know I'm feeling much better today - tired still, but not as glum and a bit more energy. I know all your support has helped. Seems there are a lot of us having surgery fairly close together. There's Drivetopless, and Just waiting and Steve.... it's a regular parade. Y'all are all in my thoughts and prayers and those of you going before me can certainly reassure me just by coming out on the other side please!

Last edited:
Isn't the mutual empathy on this site a relief? My husband was telling someone recently how sick I'd been when my valve was deteriorating; I'd forgotten until he mentioned it but some days I'd get up and shower and then I'd have to lay back down and rest from the exertion. And working in the heat, even bringing groceries in from the car on a hot day, could wipe me out for the rest of the day and into the next one. I was amazed at how much better I felt with my new valve -- and hope you will be too. Best wishes :)

That almost describes me in a nutshell and you are right! the empathy on this site is a huge relief! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back