Some musings at 12 weeks. . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Today I realized that on Monday my surgery will be 12 weeks in the past. What a roller coaster it has been, with the post-surgical complications, the pacemaker, being re-admitted to the hospital and all.

When I think back and compare my current status to what I felt like a week or so after surgery, I simply cannot believe the difference! I know that many members here told me that the "magic moment" comes at about 3 months after surgery, but today was my "Eureka!" moment. I've been working part-time since mid-April, and most days I try to get out for a walk at lunch time (weather permitting). Today it is an absolutely beautiful day (rare in Chicago in the spring), and I realized as I walked that I actually feel better now at 3 months post-op than I did for the few months immediately prior to surgery. True, if I push my physical abilities to their limit I am more limited than before, but that will change as I continue recovery and rehab. At all levels less than "the maximum" I feel much better than before. I can think of all sorts of reasons why this might be true, but the reasons do not matter - the facts do.

I have more energy now than I did before - to the point that I have to remind myself that I need to go to bed to be able to get to work the next morning. And this is after work and going to the gym for a couple of miles of power walking. I used to fall asleep during the evening and then go to bed early to make up for it! My attitude toward life has improved too, so that I now look forward to each day as a new adventure, rather than another long day that must be endured.

So, there is really no heavy duty message in my musings -- only an affirmation to all who follow me in surgery that truly no matter what you are going through, things really do get better.

Life is good.

Steve, You have given me so much info. so much that your situation has been a big influence on me pushing for surgery now. I can only wonder if you would have had a easier time after surgery if you could have done it sooner, What do you think, and Im happy you are doing better.

Thanks, Steve...encouraging to hear you're doing so well, both mentally and physically! It's helpful for us on the pre-surgery side of the mountain.

Tim

"My attitude toward life has improved too, so that I now look forward to each day as a new adventure, rather than another long day that must be endured."

What a nice sentence. Very encouraging, you're making it sound that after recovery, and surgery, life changes to .... I suppose life......

Thank you.

Thanks for your encouraging words, Steve. I know the days ahead will get better and better. You are living proof of that and I appreciate reading your progress and feeling your positive energy.

Jeri

Ken - I sometimes wonder if things would have been easier had I opted for surgery sooner, but I think not. My biggest surprise was my need for a pacemaker, and the more I learn about them and why people get them, I begin to think that I may have had bradycardia (very slow resting heart rate) that may have required a pacemaker as I aged anyway. The other complications I had were transitory, things that just had to be worked out and have no lasting effect, so by now they are just history.

Malteser - It feels like life, in fact, does change. I realize now that I had been existing sort of in a fog, with much of the joy of life obscured. Now that the surgery is behind me and I understand the immediate future, things are clear again, the colors seem brighter and the joy shows through. It may sound a bit sappy, but that's really just how it felt today. Others here have told me that at some point, things just "get better." This must be that time.

Steve, Glad to hear all is well! I have been following your story with interest, as you are not that far ahead of me. Thanks for the encouraging update!

Steve,

That's simply an AWESOME post. I'm glad you shared that with us. Definitely helpful......

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_10.15.11_Volo.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope" __ Alabama __ 'Angels Among Us'

Steve,

Good to hear you are progressing well in your recovery. Being in the pre-surgery side felling with all the lack of energy, etc. symtoms it is very encouraging to hear about your realization that you already are seeing an improvement in your health over your pre-surgery situation.

Thanks for sharing!

Dan

Good to hear Steve. I was 12 weeks last Friday. Life is pretty normal now. I have been back to work for 6 wks. Going to play golf this afternoon! The surgery didn't affect my swing at all...... it's still bad!
The rain in Dayton has finally quit for a while. It's beautiful day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back