soccerdad on the other side

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Beta Blockers helped me so much with lowering my HR, otherwise I would have gone nuts.
If you are taking Amiodarone....it will mess around with your INR. Keep that in mind.
The walking is great, rest often too. :)

One thing I loved about Huntsville Hospital in Alabama is that the 6th floor or Cardiac Surgery floor has ONLY private rooms. I think the whole country should go this way. When I checked in the lady who did my paperwork told me any time I was on that floor to remind the admissions personel that the private room wasnt asked for....Going back in for A-Fib 10 days later, the young girl who admitted me asked if I wanted a private room. I told her ALL heart related rooms were private....3rd floor included which is the Cardiac floor. She didn't know...so I just said "No, no private room." because I knew I would get it anyway.:D

I am so glad I didn't have to go through what I did in recovering with someone else in the room. Maybe thats just me.

Mileena

Hello all - had minimally invasive AVR on Tuesday the 29th performed here in Birmingham at UAB Hospital by Dr. McGiffin. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but 3 days post op I would say recovery has gone well with the exception of going into a-fib this morning. After a dose of IV meds, all is well and I am making my laps around the cardiac wing. Chest tubes coming out were the hardest part of the whole experience. Only thing left is the line in my neck and the OnQ lines in my chest. St. Jude valve is a little louder than I had anticipated, but I guess I will get used to it. My wife says she can't hear it. The upside is we ended up in a suite because the cardiac wing was full when I came out of ICU! Thanks everyone for all of their prayers and good wishes.

P.S. - I am dictating this to my wife as she types! Happy New Year to everyone!

Kurt aka soccerdad

Happy Happy New YEAR and welcome to the other side
Dont worry about the a-fib it will get sorted
The click click click may be an annoyance but yes you will get used to it.
Enjoy your new life

I am so glad to see all went well!! How did you like Dr McGiffin?? Take it easy!!

Finally got home a day later than I was supposed to. Waiting on INR and Afib to be more to their liking. Typical issues, trouble sleeping comfortably, etc. etc, but overall I see improvement everyday and am just trying to take it easy work it thru. Hopefully, I'll be off all of my "other" meds in less than a week and then all I'll have is Coumadin. I'm headed to my cardiologist today and to discuss my Coumadin and get a good base with them. Right now, I'm on 7.5 a day.... I think that might change after today's visit.
Dr. McGiffin's a great, no-nonsense guy that I would highly recommend. All of the other professionals at UAB were great too. If they could ever get the food and pillow thing figured out there, they might be on to something.

Kurt (aka Soccerdad)
12/29/09 - AVR St. Jude
UAB (Dr. McGiffin)

Still going thru my recovery. Still sore. Even thought it was minimally invasive (about 5" vertical scar and smaller scar for drainage tubes), that seems to be the issue with my sleeping. I don't sleep on my back well. Walked 1 mile on treadmill yesterday, will probably get 1/2 mile in tonight. Had to go to coumadin clinic as I'm still working to get that where it needs to be (2.5 - 3.5). It was 2.3 today. Other than that, just trying to get stronger and get into some sort of habit with my diet so It'll be easier on my INR. It doesn't hurt to breathe deep and I still work my sprirometer twice a day now. Have an appointment with the surgeon on the 21st for checkup. Thank you all again.

Kurt (aka Soccerdad)
AVR (St. Jude Mechanical)
UAB - (Dr. McGiffin)

That's great News Kurt, Keep on Truckin' When making laps, look for the slow nurse in the pack, cut and cull. You'll be amazed at how good it feels to get back into the hunt. Take it easy friend. Rick

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back