Smoking

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffin Nails

Coffin Nails

I was sitting at my computer on March 16,1996,the day before St.Patricks day and about 6 months after my wife of 37years died,waiting for something to download when I reached for and lit up a coffin nail.After a minute or so I went to flick an ash into the ash tray and realized I already had one burning there,Just then I got one of those "smokers coughs" and after my lungs came out I wondered "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?"and realized I really didn't want or need that cruddy thing,it was nothing but a habit.The rest of the story is Gospel and I swear to it.I put both butts out,crunched the remaining pack,went out to the pantry and took the remaining 4 packs in the carton and heaved them,AND NEVER LOOKED BACK.
You can do it,it is nothing more than a filthy habit,and nicotine addiction is pure B------T,I mean really...how many time a night does someone wake up from a dead sleep needing a ciggarete,talk about not getting any sleep.
Just quit and DON'T dwell on it and youll see just how easy it really is.These quit smoking patches only reenforce the idea that it is hard to quit and you need their help,well a little willpower goes a long way and it's free.

Jim

I must admit I'd like to have another puff myself. Lyn still smokes and the smell is on all of our clothing. That's a hard one to explain to the Doctor when I see him. Now, that I'm on oxygen, she has to smoke outside and with it getting cold, I see only 2 choices. She either quits or freezes solid in the snow. hehe :D

Has anyone ever seen a frozen chocolate lady? :p

Ter - football weekend descending upon us rapidly - hope you are doing o.k. My old ex quit when he went to med school and he had been a 3 pack a day-er. He carried that one cigarette around for months! He also chewed on those candy cigarettes, holding it like a real one. His main help, he said, was saying no to only one cigarette - he quit.

Later he took up a pipe (said it made him look more professional) but a patient grabbed it one day and beat him over the head with it and he came home bleeding (bet she had good reason, tho). He gave it up. Then it was cigars (the cheapest kind - King Edward $3.00/box and he smoked 3 boxes/week). Our house was blue with smoke when he was home and he would lay them down everywhere, they would go out and he would forget them. He finally conquered it tho - but has a rotten heart.

Ter - football weekend descending upon us rapidly - hope you are doing o.k. My old ex quit when he went to med school and he had been a 3 pack a day-er. He carried that one cigarette around for months! He also chewed on those candy cigarettes, holding it like a real one. His main help, he said, was saying no to only one cigarette - he quit.

Later he took up a pipe (said it made him look more professional) but a patient grabbed it one day and beat him over the head with it and he came home bleeding (bet she had good reason, tho). He gave it up. Then it was cigars (the cheapest kind - King Edward $3.00/box and he smoked 3 boxes/week). Our house was blue with smoke when he was home and he would lay them down everywhere, they would go out and he would forget them. He finally conquered it tho - but has a rotten heart.

I wish you well this weekend while you enjoy your football - just say no to that first one. Soon you can come to the virtual smoking room with the rest of us and we will puff away. I tried that this morning, but got short of virtual breath and had to stop.:D

One Week

One Week

Well I've made it one week with out smoking.
Started out last night to go buy cigars and turned around as it hit me that I couldn't :eek: with what I had coming up. Scared the s**t out of me.

MUCHO CONGRATULATIONS, TER!!!! One week, WOW!! You definitely deserve a pat on the back. I know when Tyce stopped smoking, he carried around lollipops in his shirt pocket because that was where he kept his pipe. Everytime he wanted to light his pipe, he picked a lollipop instead......it worked for him but he said for 6 months he would reach for his pipe. You CAN do it, and it is so very worth it for your health. Good Luck!

Evelyn

Smoking

That was the hardest step,admitting you need to quit,now keep at it,just don't'dwell on wanting a cigar,put it out of your mind,think of anything else,clean air,good food,Brittney Spears,careful here,and GOOD LUCK

Jim

I guess I can't ignore this thread. I'm like Cookie. I do still smoke, about a half a pack a day. Sometimes more if I'm drinking. I did gradual wean myself off them during the time before surgery and didn't light up another until about two months after surgery. I know I should quit for good, but at this point and time I don't want too. I know, the mind of a smoker! I know Greg looked at me when I told him I still smoked and had said "After all we've went through? " I agree its a stupid filthy habit. I hate ashtrays with butts in them so I'm constantly dumping and cleaning my ashtrays. I have tried not to smoke too much around none smokers. I can go hours and hours without having one. I have never got up in the middle of the night to light one, or first thing in the morning. I do like the smell of lighting up a cigarette tough. About have way down it starts tasting icky and I end up putting it out. So maybe I'm getting on the right road. I go to a lot of family gatherings though, and everyone smokes in my family. For whatever rason it doesn't seem to effect my heart rate or blood pressure. It doesn't start racing or anything. I guess I have tried to justify it it my own mind, that I did have valves replaced but I didn't have clogged arteries, I have good cholesterol, blood pressure etc. I also have slowed down from the pack and a half a day habit I use to have before finding out I needed valves replaced. Maybe someday I will try to quit for good. There could still be hope for me.

smoking

smoking

Hey there Lorraine,I'm willing to bet that pretty face would look a lot healthier if you quit!!

Jim;)

Hi Ter-

Congratulations! One week is a good start for your lungs. They thank you.

Remember, you can't have more than one thought at a time, so if your mind wanders and starts longing for a smoke, just think of something else which would be much more pleasureable. I'll let you fill in that thought!:p

Hey, Lorraine - don't beat yourself up. I loved smoking - still do, but just can't. The smell of cigarettes is still in my house and every morning when I come out of the bedroom, the first smell is that and I would love to have one. With a cuppa coffee - on my front porch of my house in the quiet woods................Just can't, anymore, and I know it.

Hey guys, I quit like 2 years ago. I decided that it was time, and very stupid of me to ever have start in the first place. I think Ross mentioned haveing alpha one anti trypsin deficiency...well I have that, am an MZ genotype, and have 60% of the protein in my blood and the doctor's said that if I smoked or worked in fumy areas, I would have a high chance of getting emphysema, so I quit. My mom has had two thorocotomies from collapsed lungs, and I never want to go through that. Heart surgery is enough.

It's still hard now not to want to just light one up and start up all over again. My mom quit 17 years ago, and SHE says she still has urges! I am glad I don't wake up feeling like crap every day now though. Take it from me, you will feel great and be glad you did quit. One thing though...I NEVER let my husband smoke around me after I quit. He never smoked around the kids or me. He has since quit too. Very proud of him!
Joy

Smoking,

Smoking,

You're on your way,we who have quit felt the same way but like I said earlier,DON'T DWELL ON IT,just put it out of your mind and think of something else;)

Jim

"So, do you smoke after sex?"

"I don't know--never looked."

I, too, was a smoker--23 years, two packs a day. I quit 10 years ago, and really agree with what Jimeskimo has been saying: Just quit and never look back.

I had tried many times to quit. The time that was successful was aided by some advice I got from an ex-smoker employee, and I am going to try to quote her as accurately below as I can:

"Do not label yourself as 'someone who is trying to quit smoking' because that gives you an automatic out. Rather, label yourself in your mind as an ex-smoker from day one. Tell yourself that you really do have free will, and this is a decision you have made that is a permanent life change. And don't forget to reward yourself in the early days of being an ex-smoker...things like hard candy, snacks, etc. that will help with the oral fixation. And finally, try to avoid social situations where people are smoking."

There is no nice polite way to say it, so I'll just say it. If you've been through all this, gotten over the mountain, and you still smoke, you are absolutely a disaster waiting to happen. Smoking affects not just your heart and lungs, but your entire circulatory system. Your chances of getting a stroke are greatly increased, as nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. In addition, if you have any kind of accident at all, the cumulative effects of smoking combined with Coumadin are not going to help you survive, and if you do, your recovery will be much slower.

OK, now I guess I'm ranting. Having lost friends due to their smoking, my feelings are strong on this topic. I was amazed to hear anyone still smoked after going through this.

--John

P.S. Should one ever need a transplant, if you are a smoker, ask your doctor where they would place you on the waiting list; you won't like the answer.

Last edited:
On Smoking

On Smoking

I am late getting here, but I also have to put in my two cents in. I am 20 months somber, I just realized that a few minutes ago. Ha! Ha!. Bu down to the serious words. You must want to quit for it to work. Then, get sugarless gum and switzle sticks. And walk a lot or exercise. Keep your mind and body busy with a hobby or something. And as time passes on, you will handle stress a lot differently. I quit six months before surgery. My method is not for everyone. I was on the patch for three weeks, and that was that. I have not smoke since. You will have urges from time to time. I use a good method. Just think about how much the cigs cost and what you acutally save from not buying any. I feel better afterwards. You will succeed. I go to message boards for somber people and help other on their quit. It takes time to quit and may have to keep trying till you do succed, or once may be enough. You have to think about your health and the benefits of quiting. You will do fine. And I can help you when needed. I am help a future by pass patient on her quit. She has been somber for three weeks. I love encourging people, because quiting is hard for amyone. And all it takes is one cig to go back. You take care and work real hard on your quit. You are doing great.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve repalcement
St. Jude's valve

My Dad smoked for25 years or more. He quit when I was 11 yrs old. He used to blow smoke in my face and laugh when I didn't like it.
I have 2 sisters and we all have had major health problems as we got older. The oldest had infertility, my middle sis had to have her thyroid removed, it had a growth on it. Now I have had aneurism, valve replacement problems. Coincidence?
I wonder what all that 2nd hand smoke did to us since we were in the womb?
I'm a Californian and it is so smoke free here.
It's great! I really have a hard time believing that you all that have had heart surgery still smoke!! My God, what does it take to just say No!!
I have known many that have just quit cold turkey, like my Dad. He said he craved cigaretes for 7 years. What a huge addiction they are. I am so glad I never started.
I wish all of you would quit and give your lungs and heart a fighting chance. Do it, and you won't regret it, although it may take years to realize this.
Good Luck,
Gail

Latest posts

Back