Sleeping on the side post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a recliner, but the tips with the pillows look interesting, I will go for that.

Yes, I'm going to have a median sternotomy. And the pre-ops has been already done, I'm going to the hospital soon (here in Europe it's just morning time) and my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, Friday.

Thank you so much again for all! :angel:

Hi all,

I'm on the 8th week after my surgery, and here is my experience.

Strangely my surgeon told me before the surgery to avoid sleeping on my sides for 6 weeks after the surgery. I was really surprised, since I haven't read any similar restriction in the forum.
So after the operation I've been sleeping always on my back, which was really hard for me, so they gave me Xanax every night which helped a lot.

I just couldn't wait for the 6 weeks, so after 4 weeks I tried to turn on my sides very carefully. First it was a strange feeling, and I could stay like that only for a short time, but after 4-5 days I got used to it again and I finally I was able to sleep on my sides without any problem!

I'm glad you are feeling better. You'll rest better now, too, no doubt.

I'm 12 weeks out, and always been a side sleeper. I went back to side sleeping after surgery as soon as pain allowed me, about 6 weeks this time. It was 4-5 weeks the first time.

I still have a couple aches in my back and sternum when I sleep on my left side, that really ache when I turn over, until it all "realligns." It's slowly getting better. my left shoulder still hurts, too, which doesn't help with sleeping on that side.

OOPS! I must have missed your original post.

MANY OHS patients find that sleeping in a RECLINER is best for a few weeks.
Alternatively, an Adjustable (Hospital type) Bed is good
OR, using a Body Pillow to prop against
OR, sleeping on a couch with your body propped at an angle between the cushions and the back,

'AL Capshaw'

Andrew, just to say how happy I am that you negotited the OHS mountain and that you are safely on this side. You are fortunate that you can sleep on any of your sides. I am now nearly 18 months post surgery and can still not sleep on my left side. I get a definite pain below my heart after a few minutes on my left side..

AL Capshaw,
Since I spent all the time in the hospital due to an infection, sleeping in the hospital bed was just acceptable taking the Xanax every night.

AgilityDog, Johan,
I'm really sorry that after those many weeks you still have problems sleeping on your side. It must pass with time, just keep on and you will be fine soon!

Latest posts

Back