Sleeping on the side post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Hello All!

I'm new to the board and I'm just going to have an OHS within a few days. I need a pulmonary valve replacement. I already had an OHS 26 years ago, when I was a child (at age 8) and I had that valve repaired. And now it's time to replace it. I'm going to get a homograft valve.

I've read through several topics of this wonderful forum and found a lot of really helpful information. Thanks for the contribution of all!

I would like to ask you a question regarding sleeping post op.

Normally I'm able to sleep only on my back or on my stomach and I'm really not able to fall asleep while laying on back, no matter how tired or sleepy I am. This issue is one of my concerns post op.

Could you please tell me how many weeks after the surgery you were able to turn to and sleep on your side?

First OHS: Pulmonary valve repair and repair of VSD using a Dacron patch at child age. Awaiting for second OHS: PVR

Sleeping positions tend to be one of those things that is very different for each of us. I was able to start sleeping on my side while I was still in the hospital after they pulled my chest tubes. By the time I got home, I tried sleeping on my stomach that first night (around day 10 post op). I didn't find the actual sleeping on my stomach uncomfortable, but getting there was a bit painful.

I hate to tell you, but sleeping well or for long periods of time after this surgery isn't something you'll probably be doing for a while. It will come with time. Good luck to you with your surgery. Please keep us posted about how you are doing when you have time.

Hello, Andrew, and Welcome.
Sorry to hear you have to undergo another surgery but certainly wish you the very best.

My first OHS, I could not sleep on my side for about 4 weeks. I found I was most comfortable in my bed with lots of pillows sleeping on my back. As I healed, I kept removing pillows and finally about a month was back to my normal sleep positions.

My second surgery, I was more comfortable right from the start and within two weeks was able to lay for a while on my left side. I couldn't sleep on my right side but found I usually awoke laying on my back. I must have fallen asleep on my side and then rolled onto my back.

I'm four weeks out today. I still can't quite sleep on my side without discomfort, generally in my sternum. I can do a little propped on my side with pillows, but that involves waking up my husband to place the pillow or pillows. I hope I'll get there in another week. I'm really tired of not sleeping well, and I won't sleep well until I can sleep on my side.

Yes it will be difficult to sleep following surgery. Out of the hospital I stayed at a hotel since surgery was out of town and used normal pillows, I was on vicodin, as I cut down on vicodin and returned home I'd sleep in a recliner because I'd tend to wake up on my side in pain on my side. I am six weeks out and last week was the first time I could sleep on my side without problems. Good luck and before you leave the hospital after surgery ask about sleeping meds if you are concerned.

Oh and I was a stomach sleeper, I still can't sleep on my stomach. I had a soft pillow top mattress and it killed my back, I had to switch it out with my firm guest bed mattress.

Thanks for the welcomes and the wishes!

I'm prepared for the difficultness with sleeping for a long time after the surgery. But anyway it's good to read that most of you made it to sleep on the side after 4 to 6 weeks!
I was afraid it's going to take a longer period.

Hi Andrew,
From what I can gather from reading the many experiences shared, the frustration of not being able to sleep and in the position one prefers, is shared by many.

Praying you will have smooth transition from pre to post surgery and that your recovery is without any difficulties, including sleep.

~Blue

I was able to sleep on my side on the 2nd day after surgery this time.
Was the only way I got any rest. By 4-5 weeks, I could sleep 3/4 on my stomach as well.

Welcome to the site, Andrew :) For me it took quite awhile longer to comfortably sleep on my left side than my right side. And my heartbeat was pretty loud in my pillow for several months too, on both sides. I prefer sleeping on my sides too but I have found that I can comfortably sleep on my back if I cover my ear. I don't know why that helps me but it does.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery; take care :)

I did not have a lot of trouble sleeping post-op. I am definitely a side sleeper. I started sleeping on my side 2 nights after surgery while I was still in ICU.

Debbie

Thank you again for the encouragements, it's nice to read them.

I'm really surprised that some of you made it really quickly, even in the ICU! :eek: :thumbup:

I would like to be that lucky as well. :rolleyes:

Now it's time to go to bed in here, this will be my last sweet dream in my own bed for a while. :( And tomorrow morning I'll be heading to the hospital.

Thank you again for the encouragements, it's nice to read them.

I'm really surprised that some of you made it really quickly, even in the ICU! :eek: :thumbup:

I would like to be that lucky as well. :rolleyes:

Now it's time to go to bed in here, this will be my last sweet dream in my own bed for a while. :( And tomorrow morning I'll be heading to the hospital.

Andrew,

I am not sure if tomorrow is pre-op for you or the actual "surgery" day. Just wanted to send you positive vibes and good thoughts for a successful surgery and bump free recovery.
P.S. I don't see you on the calendar.

First time, I couldn't sleep on my right side for about a month, and on my left side for about four months (and the left side continued to feel weird). Second time, I could sleep on either side when I got home, although the left side still sometimes feels a little skeevy, and I think may provoke some PACs/PVCs. I had full medial sternotomy (split stern) opening both times.

That said, it's entirely different for each person. Sleeping on a recliner may help, if you don't feel right trying to sleep on your side. Also, you can try to sleep partially on your side, with a pillow to prop you in a 45 degree angle or so.

Best wishes,

I suspect that most patients find sleeping on their side 'uncomfortable' for the first 4 to 6 weeks, until the sternum is fairly 'firm'.

MANY of our members (and ByPass Surgery patients also) report that sleeping in a RECLINER is more comfortable for the first several weeks. Getting into and out of a recliner is also easier than a regular bed.

Another option that is sometimes reported is to use a "Body Pillow" or LOTS of regular pillows to lay against with your back at an angle (around 45 degrees I would guess... or something between 30 and 60 degrees). Sleeping on a long couch offers similar support.

A few patients have reported using a rented (adjustable) Hospital Bed or just a Wedge Pillow.

And as has been mentioned before, Many Patients find that they do well to get 3 hours of sleep at a time for several weeks. "NAPS are GOOD" :)

Best wishes for your 'Re-Do'.

Hope you are able to find a comfortable Sleeping Position.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi, Andrew. Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery. I'm just over two weeks post-op now (AVR for a congenital heart defect). Had my surgery done through median sternotomy (middle of the chest). Is that what you're doing?

For what it's worth, I find no significant difference between sleeping on my side or on my back. I'm a little uncomfortable no matter what :), but the pain isn't bad--just a little annoying. Not a stomach sleeper, so haven't tried that. I find that sleeping while holding a pillow has been helpful. I've also found that I sleep better on a firm mattress post-surgery, so I sleep on our guest bed quite a bid.

Andrew, best wishes to you tomorrow. My pattern resembled some of Al's remarks above. I'm a side sleeper and could only sleep for a couple of hours at a time. And it HURT to turn over, there was a lot of grunting on my part. I was best able to sleep with a lot of firm pillows tucked behind me, sort of half reclining, not quite on my side and not on my back. Oh, and one pillow between my knees. I learned that in the hospital and have continued to do that. I had to buy more pillows because I never slept that way prior to the surgery :)

My wife used to sleep on the side. But post op., switched to normal with two pillows and under one to raise her feet:) We were told raising the feet promotes better circulating of the blood from the feet. Nice to note her previous slight feet swellings have gone with four weeks post op.

Latest posts

Back