Simon "Bonzo Dog" Applegate 06/02/1954-09/05/2009

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm crushed. Each one of you that's been over the mountain is a hero to me - 3 times the hero for Bonzo. When I see a new thread in this category it makes me so sad. I feel like a solider in the war against heart disease, and another one of my comrades has fallen.

I'm so sorry to read this news............

I'm so sorry to read this news............

Bonzo had such a wonderfullly wicked sense of humor............he will be sorely missed. My condolences to Linda and his daughters. Much love. J.

Sorry I missed this very important thread. Don't get here often. My sincere condolances to the family. May he rest in peace.

What follows is the most recent correspondence from Simon's wife, Linda.She writes so movingly that I thought everyone would want to read her description of his service. Ross has attached the tribute she mentions to the first post in this thread.

Attached is the tribute which was written for Simon's funeral on 18th September, this was a truly special day for us. We had Simon home the previous evening and had many friends around for a wake. It was a lovely calm evening so we spent time outside where we had a barrel of Simon's favorite beer 'Timothy Taylors Landlord', fireworks and let off Chinese Lanterns to float up into the sky. People spent time with Simon and put messages into his coffin with him, tears were shed and there was a wonderful feeling of closeness with our friends.
The day of the funeral was calm and warm, it was a Humanist ceremony which was carried out by a lovely lady called Dawn, we had spent alot of time with her previously getting to know her and talking about Simon. There were about 170 people at the funeral which formed quite a procession as we walked to the burial plot for the committal, and a shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds just as I sprinkled a handful of soil into Simon's grave. Our friends and family then came back to our house for refreshments, several staying until late into the evening.

With love,

Linda

When I die, I only hope to be said of me but a fraction of the wonderful sentiments contained in Linda's and Florence's memorials. Simon knew how to live life and love, and those around him were fortunate to have had him as a husband, father, and friend. I regret that he and I did not have more time to get to know each other since as fellow humanists we had much in common. I won't soon forget him.

Jim

What follows is the most recent correspondence from Simon's wife, Linda.She writes so eloquently that I thought everyone would want to read her description of his service. Ross has attached the tribute she mentions to the first post in this thread.

Attached is the tribute which was written for Simon's funeral on 18th September, this was a truly special day for us. We had Simon home the previous evening and had many friends around for a wake. It was a lovely calm evening so we spent time outside where we had a barrel of Simon's favorite beer 'Timothy Taylors Landlord', fireworks and let off Chinese Lanterns to float up into the sky. People spent time with Simon and put messages into his coffin with him, tears were shed and there was a wonderful feeling of closeness with our friends.
The day of the funeral was calm and warm, it was a Humanist ceremony which was carried out by a lovely lady called Dawn, we had spent alot of time with her previously getting to know her and talking about Simon. There were about 170 people at the funeral which formed quite a procession as we walked to the burial plot for the committal, and a shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds just as I sprinkled a handful of soil into Simon's grave. Our friends and family then came back to our house for refreshments, several staying until late into the evening.

With love,

Linda

duffey, thanks alot for sharing the Tribute to Simon....he was a sweet bloke.

Thank-you for allowing part in this beautiful tribute posted
Yet another angel to watch over all here at vr

I too missed this thread. I wasn't on too much I guess when this occured. My deepest condolences to his family! BonzoDog will be missed by all. May he rest in peace.

What a wonderful memorable soul. The photo Bina reposted is so quintessentially Simon. He blessed us with his humor, care, and compassion. I hope I never forget him. Simon, As my friend Phil used to say, "Who loves ya? Me." Your valve bro, Brian

I could see this band being a life-long favorite of Simon. An internet search revealed a little more.

Here is "Bonzo Dog Sleeping":
Bonzo_Dog_sleeping.jpg

which is from a site with four other
pics from his funeral

RIP Simon

John

Latest posts

Back