Showering after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Angel,
My first shower was about 6 days after surgery. Boy, did it feel great. It was one of the 'exercise' milestones you had to reach to be discharged. I definitely liked that one!
Forgot to mention as the others did, I, too was sitting in a chair with nursing assistance . It felt great, but I was exhausted after and was instructed to go back to my bed and have a nap. This was partly because I was still very short of breath and my hemoglobin was very low.

Yeah, my first shower was on the stool too, I couldn't stand very well at the time. Unfortunately my next shower was almost 3 weeks later due to forced bed rest because of a blood clot in my leg found at the rehab hospital. I could stand by then. That was good shower.

Day 5 before I left the hospital. I once slipped in the shower at home and caught myself about a week out of the hospital and that hurt like hell.

Interesting to hear all of your responses here! I'm just so in hopes to be able to get a shower as soon as possible!!! I'm already feeling kind of nasty just thinking about laying there without a shower for possibly a few days! lol. The sooner the better for me!

Agreed! And as soon as you feel up to it, I'm sure they'll let ya. It's just a matter of when you feel up to it. I'm placing bets on the morning of you're 3rd day, although I want a side bet on the evening of your 2nd day after surgery ;) When is your pre-op day, and surgery again? I'm too lazy to go look them up lol.

In ICU, the nurses will wipe you down. It's not the same as a shower, but it's better than nothing. I know I became hyper-aware of how clean people who were near me smelled! Nurses, RTs, etc.

If you aren't able to shower, your nurse will give a bed bath..... at least they did daily at Mass General my first surgery when it was longer before I could get in the shower. Those nurses are angels and they never seem to get the respect and thanks they so deserve.

My experience was the same at ARGreenMN's - on 2nd or 3rd day post surgery, the nurses were adamant about getting me up and around for my first walk, first shower, they really wanted to get you moving. I lathered my hands up well and first dripped the soap onto my chest to get it very soapy, I then gradually started rubbing given the sensitivity.

If they won't let you shower, you probably are too sick to care! I had "bird baths" from day 3 on, but the first shower was at home on day 11. That felt great!

My first shower was two days after my operation. I was sitting in a mobile plastic chair und the nurse gave me a good soaking - goodness me, it felt good. The day after that I was able have a shower by myself and I haven't looked back since.
In fact, the morning after surgery, while still in ICU, the nurse gave me a bed bath, and that too was welcome, although being turned onto my side was an interesting experience. Despite that, I felt better afterwards.

Hmmm I went several days.....can't really recall how many....I was in a total of 19 days, however I do remember telling the nurses that I refused to do the "walk" until I got a shower. I had walked the day before and there were people visiting others in the hall and I felt really really nasty....so until I got my first shower I didn't walk....and when I did get it, it felt GREAT!

Mileena

My first shower was 4 days after surgery as soon as they removed the pacing wires. They had to cover my IVs. I took it all by myself, didn't use the chair, and was instructed to stand with my back to the shower and let the water trickle down my front over my shoulders. (I continued to shower this way for about a month . . . I have very strong shower heads at home and didn't want to hurt my incision.) It felt GREAT!

Back