Showering after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

When did you have your first shower after OHS? Was it in the hospital, how long after your surgery & how did it go?

It was very welcome 8 days after the surgery, that's for sure! It was the day I was going home. I think I had to have the pacing wires removed before I could shower and they like you to shower before you leave to see how you do. It felt great. I didn't have any problems and I stayed in there a long time. Getting clean felt really good. I was probably in longer than most as I hit a few speed bumps.

I had 2 or 3 showers before I left the hospital on day 5, so the first one must have been on day 2 or 3 (probably day 2 as I doubt I could have gone 3 days, lol). Pretty much as soon as they get the chest tubes and bladder cath out (which for me was about 20 hrs after surgery) I think you're able to get in the shower whenever you feel up to it. Might be different rules at different hospitals though? At mine, I just had to tell the nurse when I wanted one one 'cause she had to disconnect my portable heart monitor (and tell the girls out front so they didn't freak out when it stopped beeping) and tape up my IV(s) so they didn't get wet. My first shower went fine, except the damn shower was almost out of soap, I just took it slow and easy - no sudden movements... It was a little hard to wash with the IV's in though - especially with them taped up, 'cause the tape made it hard to bend my arm. But I got through it fairly easily. There's a chair to sit on in the shower if you want, and I think they "made" me use it the first time - in case I was light-headed (which I wasn't but I think I used it anyway if I remember right). I was amazed how mobile my arms were immediately after the surgery (except for the IV's restricting them a little). For example, I could reach my hair to wash it, I could shave, etc. and reach everything else I wanted to reach (except maybe my feet that first time - I don't remember). But by the 2nd shower the next day (day 3 I think) it was almost business as usual (except for the taped up IV causing me some mobility issues).

Hello Angel,
I remember being nervous about the shower in hospital but after about day 5 of 7 I went for it, I'd noticed there was a fold down seat in the cubical I could use if I felt wobbly. As it turned out I didn't need the seat, it felt weird showering though, thinking my sternum might let water in ! The feeling of being clean was welcome though although the ticking from my new valve was really loud in bathroom for some reason !
Luana, what's a speed bump in a shower ?

I think mine was around day 5 or 6, while I was still in the hospital. I still had my chest tubes in, so they wrapped my torso with saran wrap to keep the water out. There was a bench in the shower for me to sit on and the nurse stayed in there with me to make sure everything was ok. I then took one every other day while I was still in the hospital. Once I got home, I went back to everyday showers, by myself, without any problems.

Angel, I had a shower about 2 days after I came out of ICU. The nurses suggested that I have one. I guess guys get kind of rank after a few days. (-: Since my incision had puckered tight and there was a scab on it, I didn't worry about water getting in. I hoped the water would wash away the tape covering my 'zipper'. However, I couldn't have a really hot one as it could make me faint.

Angel,
you will be somewhat otherwise pre-occupied for 1st few days, so not a major issue.

On day 3, i had a sponge bath and a shave from the attending nurse, an angel in my book cause it felt so good,
1st shower day 3 encouraged by nurse and done solo, but to be careful initially about wounds, so in hospital not fully gratifying, but you can feel decent again and yes there is bench and all at hospital if needed and pullcord if you need help, as we are a wee bit wobbly 1st few days
As expected, 1st shower at home was absolute bliss, but as someone mentioned not too hot....another very good reason to get home ASAP...but as manual says, no soaking for quite some time and tamp dry the incisions and probably not a good idea to soap up torso for 1st 10 days or so....nurse recommended to me a little polysporin on wounds after shower

Angel,

I had my first shower while still in the hospital about 2 or 3 days after surgery. A nice (female) nurse helped me and practically got in the shower too (not quite) to steady me because I was so wobbly. I wasn't embarrassed; instead I was grateful because I sure needed a shower by then but I didn't want to fall down. :eek:

I think my first was around the 45 day mark. No, I'm not kidding and that was in the hospital too.

I think my first was around the 45 day mark. No, I'm not kidding and that was in the hospital too.

Yowsers Ross, some may have thought there was a "sasquatch" in the ward....you are going to scare the newbies with your reality

Angel, Ross has been through hell and back ...a few times and is more the exception than the rule...he's a special case and we love him, Angel you'll be fine, like most of us

I had my first post-op shower at home 6 days after surgery sitting on a plastic lawn chair in the walk-in shower we have in the basement. I washed my hair at the same time. It was wonderful!

My first shower after first OHS was about day two after leaving CICU.... four days after surgery. I got in and out very quickly as I started to feel dizzy.

The second surgery, my wonderful nurse helped into the shower day two post op and it was wonderful. She wrapped this and that she wanted kept dry with a sort of cellophane. She stood nearby while I was in the shower to help me. I have short hair and she let me wash it. (I was able to do it myself.) It gave me so much confience to me doing those simple things for myself that it was great she was willing to spend the time and effort. I was exhausted after but it was time for my pain meds so she settled me in bed and gave me my meds. That nurse is a true angle. I'm very grateful for the care all those nurses gave me.

Hi Angel,
My first shower was about 6 days after surgery. Boy, did it feel great. It was one of the 'exercise' milestones you had to reach to be discharged. I definitely liked that one!

My first shower was on day 8 when i got home, for some reason i was only allowed sponge bath in the hospital, so when got home that's the first thing I did, I enjoyed it soooo much i was in there forever.

Me too, but I was in the hospital 1 week before my surgery.

I couldn't stand up, had a bench to sit on and nurse guarding me, but man did it ever feel good. Poor nurse had to help me dry off and get regowned, but I'm thankful for all the help she gave.

Latest posts

Back