sense of time during surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sense of time passing, but I do remember being super-out of it as I woke up. The feeling was somewhat similar to having had a really bad night's sleep while also having been run over by a truck.
Or something like that.

I am so fearful of the intubation. I would feel a lot better about this if I could wake up without the breathing tube and NG tube. Did you all have the NG tube also??? No one mentioned that. I wonder if it is even possible to wake up without them??

Jeri

Same here. No sense of time passing on the day of surgery from the time I feel asleep and when first woke up in recovery.

Jerri, the intubation was my biggest fear, too. Now, if I ever have OHS again, I know it is not as bad as I imagined.

I had the breathing tube and a Gastro tube (both through the mouth). They explained the Gastro tube was in case I got nausea. I could not feel that there were two tubes.
It was uncomfortable but mainly I was annoyed because I told them I didn't want to be awake when it was in or when they removed it. They did not do a good job explaning prior to surgery that it had to be there when I woke up in recovery and for several hours afterwards in case I needed to go back to surgery for some reason. If I had known that, I think I would have accepted it much better. They did knock me out with morphine while it was in, so I only recall being awake enough to be aware of the tubes a couple of times until right before they took it out. They will probably do the same for you.

I can say as comfort to you that the tubes were uncomfortable but not as bad as I had imagined. And I had zero pain when they removed them--that was what I was most afraid of. It felt GREAT when they removed them--something to look forward to.

Last edited:
Same here. No sense of time passing on the day of surgery from the time I feel asleep and when first woke up in recovery.

Jerri, the intubation was my biggest fear, too. Now, if I ever have OHS again, I know it is not as bad as I imagined.

I had the breathing tube and a Gastro tube (both through the mouth). They explained the Gastro tube was in case I got nausea. I could not feel that there were two tubes.
It was uncomfortable but mainly I was annoyed because I told them I didn't want to be awake when it was in or when they removed it. They did not do a good job explaning prior to surgery that it had to be there when I woke up in recovery and for several hours afterwards in case I needed to go back to surgery for some reason. If I had known that, I think I would have accepted it much better. They did knock me out with morphine while it was in, so I only recall being awake enough to be aware of the tubes a couple of times until right before they took it out. They will probably do the same for you.

I can say as comfort to you that the tubes were uncomfortable but not as bad as I had imagined. And I had zero pain when they removed them--that was what I was most afraid of. It felt GREAT when they removed them--something to look forward to.

Thanks for the reply....I do feel comforted....I have lots of faith and know that God is in control and will take care of me so I am not worried but reading yours and everyone's posts really helps. Thanks everyone!!!

Jeri

question for the group that has been through OHS: Many people tell me that one second you're awake and then the next thing you know...darkness. And then when you wake up in ICU it feels like 2 minutes later. Is that what most of you experienced?

Yes ... EXACTLY.

I remember in the holding/pre-surgery room, they told me they were going to give me the "good stuff" ... and then wheel me into the operating room. I don't remember even going INTO the operating room. Felt like I was saying "see you later" to my family ... then work up in the ICU. Weird ... very weird.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"All around me are familiar faces" __ Tears For Fears __ 'Mad World'

I remember the OR I was joking with the nurses and the put a mask on my face and told me to take a deep breath, then I was awake in the ICU way earlier than anyone else fighting to get the tubes out. It was scary but I was pretty out of it so it seemed like a dream. Just relax and remind yourself that you are getting oxygen.

I don't remember any darkness. I was in the holding area and they said they were giving me something in my IV to help me relax. The next moment (it seemed) I was waking up in ICU.

One thing I did the day or two before surgery was, every time I thought of it, I'd tell myself, "Don't fight the vent. Don't fight the vent." When I woke up with the vent tube I didn't freak. I remembered what I'd told myself. It felt kind of weird to just relax and let the vent basically inflate my lungs for me, but it was so much easier that first couple hours after surgery. And they were able to take it out just 3-4 hours post-op.

Each time I awoke, it was like I had been out for only a very short time. ( I've done this 3 times). I would wake up, realize I was awake and in ICU, and then say to myself, it must be over, I survived! Until you actually move, you don't feel like it's even happened! Each time, I have been extremely thirsty in ICU for along time. I'm always happy when I get over that horrible thirst. The nurse only gives ice chips and then when I'd had enough, he gave me lemon flavored swabs to suck on, yummm. He really watched my ice intake, as I wanted it all the time. Also, for awhile after this last surgery, I felt as though I could've walked the halls, I was really alert, and just taking it all in.

I was wheeled into the "holding pattern room" and after a chat with the doctors and nurses, was told I was gonig to "get something to help me relax a little." The next thing I knew, I was laying down conscious of someone talking and walking around my bed and was wondering when in the world they were going to start the surgery. It was already over! There was absolutely NO time for me between going to sleep and waking up. It's almost like I was awke the whole time, but obviously wasn't. No dreams...no darknes...just nothing really!

I do agree with Gail that the thirst was horrible! I could not get enough ice chips!

I am so fearful of the intubation. I would feel a lot better about this if I could wake up without the breathing tube and NG tube. Did you all have the NG tube also??? No one mentioned that. I wonder if it is even possible to wake up without them??

Jeri

I was not thrilled about the idea of waking up intubated either, but now that I've had the experience I have to say it's no big deal. The only thing I was aware of about the breathing tube was that it tasted like plastic in my mouth.

I guess I had an NG tube, but when I woke in ICU had no sense of it, so it must have been removed. My awareness was clear when I woke up of what was going on. I had no pain, only a bit of soreness.

Anesthesia nowadays is very gentle. Maybe some people have memories of having had ether as a kid for tonsils or other surgery (I do and it was awful.) Present day anesthesia is light-years better than that.

It didn't seem like an instant between "lights out" prior to surgery and awaking without the breathing tube. I do have memories of feeling trapped and unable to move and fully aware of the breathing tube. I felt like I needed to be rescued. During the the 12 days I was intubated I remember being "almost" woken up and thinking "finally I would be free", but I wasn't. Seems they brought me out of it at least once to see how I responded, if I could squeeze a hand etc. I also remember having the oddest dreams. I just knew I had been abducted prior to my surgery and there were several of us being intubated at the same time, all of us lying in a row of beds. I don't actually remember being extubated but have plenty of other memories during the 5 weeks in the ICU.

Latest posts

Back